Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: JBF Reading/Viewing Group: Spider-Man Chapter One #1 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 1  

I framed the story as a flashback, so readers could have Spider-Man in costume on every page. Silly me. A while later ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN would show me how to do it RIGHT!! Keep that damn silly costume out for issue after issue after issue. . .

Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 2  

I didn't read this series until years after it came out. I had been away for comics for years. When I finally got back to trying to read new comics, in 2006 or so, right around the time I joined this forum, the real Spider-Man seemed to have gone extinct! The stuff I was finding in the then-current issues was not something I wanted to read. Where was the fun?

I started catching up on JB's work from the years I'd been away, and found out about Chapter One. I bought the whole series on eBay (from the JBF's Andrew Farago, if I recall correctly). When it arrived, I read it as quickly as I've ever read a series of comics. I couldn't put it down. This was the Spider-Man I missed! The whole series was a pure joy to read.

Thanks for that, JB.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 3  

There were one or two things that bugged me as I worked on this project, and found myself thinking of how people had messed with Stan and Steve's near perfect story over the years. Mostly folk with that fanboy need to EXPLAIN everything.

One of the more infuriating was the insertion of several "adventures" between the last page of this story and the first pages of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1. To "explain" how Parker could "get so good" at being Spider-Man, as he was by the second story. Hm. All those months becoming a TV star didn't help?

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 4  

All those months becoming a TV star didn't help?

One of the things that the movies have kept out of his origin as well, and it pisses me off. I guess that they are unable to see that there is a great deal of fall out later on because Peter chooses to go and make money as Spider-man first.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 5  

An amazing splash page. No hyperbole, that is one of the best pictures of Spider-Man I have ever seen.

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 6  

If any of JB "changes" had been in a Spider-Man film, it would have been hailed as "ingenious" improvements or "necessary" adaptations.

I had some reservations about the explosion when I first read this issue. But it makes a lot of sense -- it gives time for Peter's body to adapt to the changes. It explains Aunt May's constant references to Peter's frailty. I did wonder if it wouldn't at least somewhat give Peter some sympathy at school so that he wouldn't be bullied but I can see that Flash and his ilk might not be so kind.

Oh, and the Raimi film *still* chose to not combine the Goblin and Spider-Man "origins" so you have two unlikely but unrelated events occurring within the same week more or less.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

These guys at Marvel hate Mr. Byrne and his creative ideas BUT they later LOVED his ideas when it's now regurgitated in their brains.  I feel he should sue them for plagiarism.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

"An amazing splash page. No hyperbole, that is one of the best pictures of Spider-Man I have ever seen."

---

Funny thing about that splash page - around that time one of Marvel's advertising mags was running it as a promo, and when I first saw it, I did not immediately spot it as a John Byrne drawing. One of the only few times that's happened!

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged | 9  

Aaron--glad those books found a good home!  I'll probably re-buy Chapter One one of these days, maybe in the trade paperback, since I'm not being crowded out of my tiny apartment by longboxes anymore.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged | 10  

My first piece of original art...

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 11  

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member