Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Unexpected cross-overs or guest stars (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 1  

I was leafing thru X-men 46 recently, and noted that it picks up where Avengers 53 left off (involving a clash with Magneto, if memory serves).

With Silver Age Marvel, I like how stories acknowledge or refer to each other, to give the illusion of a shared 'universe'; at the same time, I also enjoy how this 'cross-over' wasn't trumpeted all over the cover.

It happens organically and without fanfare, unlike today's wildly overblown cross-over marketing gimmicks (A vs X comes to mind as a parallel of sorts).

Do you guys have a favorite cross-over (or guest appearance) that came as an unheralded surprise?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 2  

I have fuzzy warm memories of when Thor appeared in NOVA, and Nova kept calling him "sir".

The great things about crossovers and guest appearances (which are NOT necessarily the same thing) in days of yore, was that we didn't find out about them until we either read the issues in question, or saw house ads that appeared THE SAME MONTH. None of this months-ahead promotion and spoilage.

Back to Top profile | search

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 3  

I liked how a crossover/event would lead me into reading a book or books that I previously had little to no interest in.  For me,it was not long after I started reading comics on a regular basis,that Marvel's Evolutionary War,which crossed over all their annuals that summer(I nearly went mad trying to find them all lol),was my first "event story" and though I knew next to nothing about most of the characters back then,the stories would  have enough of a sub-plot or back-up story for the monthly title that would interest me just enough to check out what was going on in that character's or team's book and ended up leading me into reading the bulk of Marvel's titles at the time.

Then,there was a story that started in FF after the Thing had been mutated into his orange pineapple look and took on the grey Hulk(who was believed dead at the time)and at the end of that issue,the green Hulk showed up ready to fight the Thing......to be continued in that issue of "The Incredible Hulk". So I had to pick up that issue to finish the story and found that even though the art didn't grab me at first(Jeff Purves was the artist at the time),I found the sub-plots in the story irresistible,so there was another title I started to pick up. It was a lot of fun back then discovering new titles and characters :)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

The FF/Daredevil crossover preceded the X-Men/Avengers matchup by just a few months. Were they the first occurrences of a story starting in one character's title and directly continuing in another's (i.e. Batman->Detective Comics does not count)?

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 2:33pm | IP Logged | 5  

I think JB is responsible for my favorites surprises which came in as a demand of the story-- like Dr. Strange at the end of Diablo's misadventure in FF 232. The unheralded cross-over does more to create a "shared universe" than any of the BIG IMPORTANT CROSS-TITLE EVENTS ever could.

Slightly left of that appearance is the glimpse of D.D. and Spider-Man sitting out for the big tussle with Galactus in FF 242.

Seeing Power-Man and Misty pop up to check in on Storm in X-Men 122 had a nice "shared universe" feeling to it.

Frank Miller was able to do this in Daredevil too by having J.J. Jameson appear thoroughly journalistic and level-headed whenever he appeared. It was revealing to me to see Jameson be awesome away from his anti-Spider-Man mania.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 6  

The great things about crossovers and guest appearances (which are NOT necessarily the same thing) in days of yore, was that we didn't find out about them until we either read the issues in question, or saw house ads that appeared THE SAME MONTH. None of this months-ahead promotion and spoilage.

+ + + + + +

Back in the days when a good story sold itself?

Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

If the Fantastic Four and Avengers took on the Hulk now like they did back in Fantastic Four #25 & #26, we'd have a lead in mini-series, a twelve issue feature with plenty of naval-gazing, and follow-up miniseries to see how it affected everyone in the Marvel Universe from General Thunderbolt Ross to Aunt May.

Edited by Robert Bradley on 01 October 2012 at 2:50pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 8  

True.

I really miss the days when you weren't required to blow a week's wages just to get what turned out to be a dud of a story.  Back then, as John's reply stated above, you didn't need the marketing team to shove the crossover down your throat with a rusty 6-inch pipe -- they expected you to see Thor appearing in your Spider-Man comic and go "Wow! I didn't notice this guy before.  I better go check his mag out!"

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 9  

+ + + + + +

Back in the days when a good story sold itself?

••

Truth to tell, it didn't even have to be a good story!

For one thing, we really had no way of knowing if the story was actually going to be any good until we'd read it, and circumstance being what they were, to read it we had to buy it.

And fans were loyal to their characters. They (and this includes me) followed Superman, or Batman, or Spider-Man, or the FF (or any and all others, and combinations) month to month because we LOVED THE CHARACTERS. We did not have to be enticed with "events". Every issue was an "event" simply by virtue of being the latest adventure(s) of favorite characters.

But, then. we were in an innocent age, and we had not been subjected to years of shameless pandering to speculators, with fake "events" and gimmicks and comic shops hiking the prices even if the Companies had not.

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 10  

I'd like to see comics go back to more guest stars and small crossovers and fewer big crossovers. Way back when I was a new reader of comics, a guest appearance would often make me seek out the guest's title (I discovered Captain America, who eventually became my favorite hero, when he made a small appearance in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN), while a large-scale multi-title crossover would annoy me because it felt like they were trying to force me to buy every book.

Also, although I knew who Batman was of course, I wasn't a DC reader. I followed JB to DC and read MAN OF STEEL and was inspired by the third issue to look for Batman's own title.    

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 7:46pm | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
The FF/Daredevil crossover preceded the X-Men/Avengers matchup by just a few months. Were they the first occurrences of a story starting in one character's title and directly continuing in another's (i.e. Batman->Detective Comics does not count)? 
In those days even books featuring the same character didn't crossover that much ( if at all). Batman and Detective told their own stories and ignored what was happening in the other books. One of the oddest crossovers (if it can be called that) is Zatanna's search for Zatara, which is spread out over five comics published over three to four years. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chad Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2012 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 12  

One of the cooler completely unforeseen ones was this one: 

I guess I shouldn't spoil for those who haven't read it.

Inviso-Spoil: Golden Archer is Hawkeye, pretending to be a villain to snap Steve Rogers out of retirement.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version