Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: It Keeps Getting Worse... (potential spoiler) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 1  

X-Men #137 had WAY more emotional impact than this turd of an event. Bendis just made a 22 page essay that could be titled "I Truly Do Not Understand The Character of Cyclops."
Back to Top profile | search

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

I guess now the Entity can come back from the dead and possess Phoenix possessing Cyclops and then someone can castrate Galactus and Tony Stark can betray the Avengers again. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

Secret Invasion killed Wasp. She's actually stayed dead up to this
point

I think Bendis spun the same crap about making her "matter" by killing her off like he did with this character. This was foreshadowed when Alonso said in an interview a while back that this issue would make alot of people mad. If I were an X-Men reader of the last 10 years, I would be glad for the death because of all the crummy stuff that was retconned about him.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 14 September 2012 at 7:32pm

Marc M. Woolman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm not sure Bendis deserves the "credit" for this killing. Each issue of the series has 4 or 5 writers listed in the credits. Either way, it's no big deal. They've been killing Prof. X on and off since the late 60's or early 70's. It's just business as usual. 
Since Marvel really seems to have major ideas and or costumes dictated to them by their movies, eventually the Prof will be back. I can't see him staying dead with more X-men movies on the way.

I find that new mini series from Neal Adams in which Wolverine and Sabretooth go around and try to form a Pre-X-men group while a young Charles Xavier has no interest in doing so, to be far more of a travesty and shitting on of X-men history.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 8:05pm | IP Logged | 5  

He's dead?...Again?!  Argh!

=====
Dana, I didn't even know he was alive again!!

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 6  

The way things seem to be going with Marvel and DC comics these days, it almost like the end of the world is coming, and they're trying to do all things they ever wanted to do to these characters before the final curtain falls...

Some legacy.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 10:04pm | IP Logged | 7  

Once upon a time long, long ago, a company named the Marvel Comics Group made innovative quality comic books and were quite original.....

But lo many years later they began to mine past ideas and sell them as fresh and new, when in truth they were anything but....

Back to Top profile | search | www

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 September 2012 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

"I think Bendis spun the same crap about making her "matter" by killing her off like he did with this character."

Same argument was used for (retroactively not) killing off Spoiler in the Batman books. 

And Tim Drake's Dad. 

And the Blue Beetle (Ted Kord version)

Etc.

Bendis is just going to the common well in the middle of the village methinks.

Edited by Emery Calame on 14 September 2012 at 11:31pm

Brett Wilson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2012 at 3:15am | IP Logged | 9  

I believe the character who dies in #11 has been killed like 3 times before by Marvel. Not shocked, nor am I impressed. I actually had been kinda enjoying the series up until now though.

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2012 at 4:26am | IP Logged | 10  

Twenty years ago this would have affected me, I'm just numb to these announcements.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2012 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 11  

I got back into comics a little over 10 years ago and because I'd gotten out in the early 90's (the Image-ification of Marvel and DC) I would still get excited about certain storylines involving the X-Men.They killed Jean again but I was okay with that because she was dead before and I never liked her resurrection due to my love of the Dark Phoenix Saga. I still liked her though. Though he was killed during my absence from reading comics, the resurrection of Colossus (my favorite) was a high point. Then piece by piece the creators of the X-titles starting killing off characters from the era that I believe "counts": Banshee, Corsair, Lilandra (not actually done in the X-titles), and Nightcrawler. They destroyed the characters of Professor X and Cyclops. They married off Storm to Black Panther in a publicity stunt. They decided that Wolverine wasn't a guy that wanted to control his beserker rage but that he was a more or less a cold, calculating murderer that Cyclops was totally fine giving assignments to. Don't even get me started on the stuff that they've done to Colossus since his resurrection.

My first true comic love was the X-Men. When I was out of comics, I still went to see the first movie on opening night. When I got back into comics, the first issues I bought were X-Men. I haven't completely walked away from Marvel because there are still a few titles that I enjoy but the X-Men are not a group of characters that I care about at all. Marvel has managed to suck the life out of any kind of interest that I may ever have about the X-Men. So this "death" is just a drawing on a piece of paper for me with words attached to it.  

Edited by Shawn Kane on 15 September 2012 at 5:49am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 September 2012 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 12  

Killing a character to make him/her "matter" reminds me of something I was doing in HIDDEN YEARS.

Warren's girlfriend, Candy Southern, had been killed off a few years before I started that book, and that seemed to me an utterly pointless death. Candy, I felt, had not been nearly important enough to die. So I set about using her in XHY in order to give her some retroactive character weight -- to make her important enough to die.

So, the difference between then and now -- I wanted to make the character important enough that her death would matter, while current writers try to make a character "matter" by killing him/her.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version