Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: More Nu52 ado - What does DC have against Hal Jordan? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 1  

I "love" how DC is trying to play up the fact that he's not caucasian and that he's Muslim.  They're even putting the "exclamation point" on it by just calling him by his last name of "Baz" and not using his first name at all (it's "Simon").  Nearly every other time they advertise something GL-related, they use the full names of the characters or their first name.  But not this time...

And this might be the final nail in the coffin for me in terms of reading comics.  I was darn close right before DC decided to do GL: Rebirth.  With them bringing back Hal Jordan, who happens to be my favorite character, I was excited about comics again.  Now with them "indefinitely"  doing away with Hal, I may definitely stop buying most of the comics I get now.  I've already dropped a lot of titles from them, dropping the rest is the next step.

So for the first time since 1977, I probably won't be buying DC Comics.   "Job well done", DC.*

*said with tongue firmly planted in cheek

Back to Top profile | search

Ron Chevrier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 2  

Kevin, I don't think Hal's removal is all that "indefinite". He and Sinestro disappeared in the most recent issue of Green Lantern, but they showed up on the last page of the new #0 which features the new GL, so I think it's more of a plot twist in the ongoing storyline rather than a permanent removal. Don't know if that helps any.

Craig Ashforth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 3  

Isn't it great that they feel the need to diversify the Green Lantern Corps further.   It's not like it already has the most diverse membership in the DCU or anything......

Edited by Craig Ashforth on 07 September 2012 at 10:34am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 4  

Alan Scott is gay now ?? Is being gay the hip thing now? Is being gay the new killing a character ?

Where's Bucky when you need him? please oh please retcon Bucky as Caps younger gay lover

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 07 September 2012 at 10:54am

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 5  

Hey Glen, how did you hide that font in post three?  When I do it, it doesn't work.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

Rick, if you want to do spolier tags, use INVISO in between [ ] and [/ ], like this:

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Testing 1...2...3...

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 7  

SO if everything you guys have posted is true then...

He was a car thief-OK, so he's getting a power ring without being worthy.

He has a gun in the picture- Why would he need a gun if he has one of the most powerful weapons in the Universe on his finger? Sorry Kip, if what you said in hidden text is true then there's no reason for the gun.

Now, this makes FIVE members of the Corps from Planet Earth. Just how hard is our sector to patrol anyway?

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 8  

BTW, how great is it that they avoid stereotypes; making sure there Arab-American doesn't where a turban, by promoting an image of him with a ski-mask and a gun? I can't tell if he wants my wallet and jewelry or take me hostage.

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 9  

I guess being a Green Lantern isn't all that special anymore, as they are handing out rings like they are Halloween candy. I use to think that Hal Jordon was a little bit lucky, and there was something special about him too. Lucky because Abin Sur happened to crash land and die on Earth. The fact that the ring chose him over all the other people in the world showed me that there was something special about him. That there was something special about being chosen to be a Green Lantern. Having all these Earthmen being chosen to be a Green Lantern shows me that there isn't anything special about it. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

Now, this makes FIVE members of the Corps from Planet Earth. Just how hard is our sector to patrol anyway?

••

Well, see, Green Lantern was the most relentlessly de-uniqued concept DC had, what with there being, like, 3500 of them, or so. So the only way they could make it even LESS unique was to have as many as possible be from Earth!

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

I don't know who wins the Gomer award here--DC for Xeroxing Lanterns, or the dim-bulb fans who keep gobbling up their titles.

Glen Keith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

Hey Glen, how did you hide that font in post three?  When I do it, it doesn't work.
=================
I just clicked on the color tab in the menu and clicked  "inviso". The only problem I had is after choosing it is I couldn't turn it off.

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version