Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Superheroes at Universal / Disney Parks (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2012 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 1  

The Yesterland theme park website has posted a "then and now" look at Universal's Islands of Adventure park in Florida...  On the subject of Marvel Super Hero Island, I thought this bit of information was interesting:

QUOTE:
Of course, the various photos from Marvel Super Hero Island in this article don’t show that The Walt Disney Company acquired Marvel Entertainment in 2009 for $4 billion. That means that Universal is now paying a licensing fee to a company owned by its arch-competitor and promoting that competitor’s movies. Meanwhile, Walt Disney World cannot use most of the prominent Marvel characters, even though Disney owns the company.

Universal owns the exclusive theme park rights “East of The Mississippi” for the Marvel characters it is now using, as well as for other heros and villains associated with those characters. The term of the contract between MCA Inc. [now NBCUniversal, a part of Comcast Corporation] and Marvel Entertainment Group [now Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a part of The Walt Disney Company] “shall continue for so long as a THE MARVEL UNIVERSE [now Marvel Super Hero Island] shall remain open.” To be considered “open,” it must be “operated and maintained in a first class manner consistent with the highest standards of the theme park industry.” In other words, Universal’s Islands of Adventure park can keep the rights forever.

If you want to read all the legal language of the agreement, dated March 22, 1994, take a look at the Marvel Agreement Between MCA Inc. and Marvel Entertainment Group, as filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission..

[Source - Yesterland]

The "East of the Mississippi" clause is interesting, since there are now rumors floating around about a possible expansion to the Disneyland Anaheim Resort being "superhero-themed".   It has also been observed that the newly-opened TRANSFORMERS 3D ride at Universal Studios Hollywood appears to have a very similar building layout and ride equipment to that of the Spider-Man ride in Florida...

Back to Top profile | search

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2012 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 2  

Disneyland needs something, I was hard pressed to find ANYTHING Marvel related when I was there in May.  
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2012 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

I went to Disney Wolrd in February with some of the family, and I had to search high and low to find the Marvel Encyclopedia and a trade of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

That was it. Anywhere.

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 4  

Universal's Marvel "island" has tons of Marvel merchandise on sale.  So odd that part of those sales go right to their biggest competition.  Almost a matter of who's going to blink first.  Universal caves and lets go of the rights to stop promoting Disney's property.  Or Disney caves and pays Universal to get rid of the contractual thing so they can take advantage of that property in their own parks. 

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 August 2012 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 5  

Marvel signed some bad deals back in the 90's. Apparantly, none of the movie and theme park deals have experations, or a renagotiation time? Very odd.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2012 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 6  

I enjoyed the Marvel area when I went to Universal in 2001. My wife and I are planning to go to Disney World in a few years when our daughter is old enough to enjoy it and I'm hoping that within that period of time that Disney gets the rights back.

Steve Gumm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged | 7  

There's a lot more heroes than just the Marvel ones. Perhaps Disney can work out a deal with Image and have "from the depths of Hell... THE SPAWN RIDE"

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2012 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 8  

They have revamped the Spider-man ride,so i suspect that Universal intends to hang on to the Marvel stuff.I suppose it depends on how much they pay in licensing,if Disney start to extort them maybe they`ll change their minds.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2012 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 9  

If Universal were to lose the Marvel stuff, I wonder if they would make a deal with Warner Brothers to replace it with the DC Super-Heroes?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 10  

I think it would be easy to re-brand the Hulk rollercoaster to a Superman theme and Spider-man to a Batman one.The Storm  waltzer could i suppose be themed around being twisted around by Wonder Woman`s lasso at a stretch!

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 01 September 2012 at 11:11am | IP Logged | 11  

I wonder if they would make a deal with Warner Brothers to replace it with the DC Super-Heroes?

DC Superheroes (and Looney Tunes characters) are a staple at the Six Flags theme parks.  I don't know if that's a licensing deal or if WB has some ownership of the parks, but the characters and rides are deeply ingrained. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 September 2012 at 5:51am | IP Logged | 12  

Just what we need, decompressed roller coasters and a bunch of animatronic Avenger talking heads describing what the ride would be like.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version