Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Brainiac I (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 1  

With the discussion about different versions of Lex Luthor going on I thought it might be fun to have a similar one about Brainiac I. My favorite design was always the "Super Powers" version because I thought he looked cool, but I also really like the original green skinned version.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 2  

Growing up a Marvel kid my knowledge of Superman came mostly from the Chris Reeves films and Super Friends cartoons.  From this knowledge I concluded something I've heard echoed throughout fandom: Superman has lame villains.

I discovered Curt Swan and fell in love with Silver Age SUPERMAN comics about ten years ago and discovered I just wasn't looking in the right place!  It turns out Superman has probably my second favorite rogues gallery (taking a backseat to Spider-Man's only) and Brainiac is right at the top of the list.  For anyone unfamiliar with the Silver Age versions of these characters I cannot recommend this comic enough:

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 3  

both versions are cool in their own ways. it all depends on who and what you want brainiac to be. to me, milton fine being corrupted into a cyborg against his will was compelling-- he *knew* what was happening and what brainiac (the stage name adopted by his coluan assailant) wanted, but he was powerless to stop it.

the all-robot version was cool too, especially due to the skullship and the frankly evil look of the robotic form. not even ultron looks this villainous.

brainiac has been used very heavily lately, though, and he's probably one character i'd take offstage for awhile. considering he was the key part of the whole new krypton storyline, and was involved in morrison's first action comics arc, i'd say he's due for some rest.

Ben Mcvay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 4  

Joe,

That is one of my favorite Superman covers ever. Man, could Curt Swan draw.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 5  

Yup!  One I would love to see JB reimagine!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 6  

JB would romp and stomp on this one. (that's a good thing)

Valmor J. Pedretti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 8:28am | IP Logged | 7  

Who designed the silver "Super Powers" Brainiac? That was an amazing job!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 8  

I believe Ed Hannigan designed the all-robot look for Brainiac. 

Rick Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 9  

I do like the design of the Super Powers Braniac, but IMO, there's something 'lost' by turning him into a super-intelligent robot. That's just too ...'obvious' for my tastes - compare that to the versions where he's an alien/cybernetic fusion-cyborg-thingy (not just an alien with cybernetic implants, but a perfect balance of organic and synthetic, to the nth degree). That makes for a 'cooler' Braniac, in my books - in a universe with super-intelligent humans/aliens/robots/cyborgs, having him as 'the best of both worlds'* is a good way to set him apart from the super-smart crowd, as well as making him even more 'alien' than the bevy of DCU extra-terrestrials we know and love.

Heck, just looking at the (masterful!) Curt Swan cover above, it makes sense - he's got both green skin, and electronic doo-dads in his head! First impression isn't that he's just an 'alien' or 'robot', but something of the two combined, and how!

*no, not an Star Trek 'Borg' reference - shaddup!!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 9:33am | IP Logged | 10  

Nothing much to say about Brainiac, except that when I was a kid I misread his name as "BRANIK", and I was REALLY disappointed when, a decade or two later, I learned the correct pronunciation.

I'm not a big fan of the "Dr. NastyGuy" school of villain names!

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 11  

While Brainiac was originally just a super-smart alien with a pet monkey, the later iteration with the diodes made for a memorable and effective Silver Age villian. One of my favorites, in fact.

The Alex Ross/ Jim Krueger mini-series "Justice" made effective use of this creepy "fusion" of flesh and science by showing how the skin "healed" around those implants. Unfortunately, Ross modeled his Brainiac to look just like Grant Morrison, and I therefore cannot read any scene with the character in there without being thrown violently out of the story.

My favorite Brainiac, however, is the Ed Hannigan version. That is a beautifully designed villain. It's similar in some respects to his Silvermane for Marvel, but nicely "alienated," to make the shapes more otherworldly and menacing. Plus, you can't go wrong with a skull-headed villain... Well... okay, Albert Pyun can, but not all of us are as committed to unbridled atrocity as Pyun...

Plus, his new raison d'etre in the series was that he'd been captured, dismantled down to a molecular level, and reassembled by a bizarre machine world so complex his twelth-level intellect could only begin to grasp its origins and nature... In this sense, he found "religion" and became more mechanized, calculating, and chilling.

The Silver Age Brainiac was villainous, but the Hannigan version was on a mission... (Plus, something new had to be done since Cary Bates, I believe, had reformed the Silver Age version by having Superman do some super-fast reprogramming to his circuitry. Having a helpful Brainiac flying in on his saucer to render needed assistance was really kind of a bummer phase in the character's career. The Super Powers version was an effective and necessary re-villainization of the character, and one that was sadly too short-lived.

Still, it lasted lost enough that we did get to see Kirby draw him! Woohoo!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2012 at 10:11am | IP Logged | 12  

Brian - Marv Wolfman wrote the story where Superman reprogrammed
Brainiac to be a good guy. He also wrote Brainiac's subsequent return
to villainy and later "rebirth" into the Giger-esque Ed Hannigan design.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version