Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: X-Men...IN SPACE!!!!!!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2012 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 1  

"Kate Pryde, sent back into her younger self thru Rachel's mental manipulations, would simply DISAPPEAR when the X-Men changed her history. At the exact moment the X-Men altered the actions, the future from which Kate came would cease to exist. (It was important, too, that the future X-Men understood this.)"

Thank you very much for this explanation Mr Byrne !

Fortunately...you managed to set it right...in Next Men !!!

But what is huge is that we might never have had Next Men at all if Chris had it scripted as scheduled, as you would certainly never have used this plot again in Next Men !

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2012 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 2  

John Byrne wrote:

Central to this was the idea that Kate Pryde, sent back into her younger self thru Rachel's mental manipulations, would simply DISAPPEAR when the X-Men changed her history. At the exact moment the X-Men altered the actions, the future from which Kate came would cease to exist. (It was important, too, that the future X-Men understood this.)

That's why the "action" in the panel as it appears in the published comic takes place entirely in the captions. I did not draw anything remotely like what Chris wrote, because what Chris wrote SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. What I drew is what was supposed to happen: Kate simply blinks out of existence, and Kitty is back...

It does make one wonder, going by the published version, what was the whole point of Kate going through time to begin with? Kate's actions did nothing to change her present, even if the actions did possibly change the direction of Kitty's future, now a seperate reality from Kate's time.

I guess it could be looked upon as Kate wanting to spare another version of her from suffering the same fate, but if one alternate reality exists than surely there are many more (and, in the Marvel Universe, as The Watcher would have us know, there actually are multiple realities). So, would this Kate, realizing her present was unaffected by changing the other Kitty's past, feel compelled to save as many "Kittys" as she can, or feel it was a futile gesture to begin with?

Yeah, the published version doesn't really work for me.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Larry Morris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 June 2012 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 3  

QUOTE:
It seemed like X-Factor was really getting good (with the 5 original X-Men actually getting along and working as a team and Scott and Jean happy together and a supporting cast forming and no more of that mutant-hunter garbage) when Marvel decided to stick the original five back into the main X-Men titles and turn X-Factor into a silly comedy written by Peter David. I'd have been happy with X-Factor continuing as the originals and kept as far seperate from Uncanny and the other X-books as possible.

I was in no particular rush for the originals to go back to the mansion.  I did like a book centered on my favorites, the first 5..  Didn't hate it, just was in no rush for it. I did enjoy Xavier coming back.  I preferred it when he has an important place in the books.

As for space stories, once in awhile, okay.  On any regular basis, no.  Not a big fan of magic in the X books either.
Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 4  

Matt,

Kate warns the XMen so that they prevent Kelly's murder, thus changing history. It's just Mr Byrne wanted One History and no multiple ones.

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 5  

Whereas In the future thé x men last gamble face impossible odds and failure, simple for me.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 June 2012 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 6  

… In the future thé x men last gamble face impossible odds and failure…

••

Yes -- but they weren't supposed to "fail".

My story was NOT about the future X-Men risking all even if the best they could hope for was to create an alternate timeline. They were risking all to CHANGE THE PAST.

And in my story, they did! Their "ultimate sacrifice" was not the uncertainty of a possible alternate timeline, but the CERTAINTY that if they succeeded, their timeline, and them, would cease to exist. That's why Kate and Peter have that tender moment.

I've heard people argue that the way Chris wrote is makes for a more "noble" action on the part of the future X-Men. They take their huge risk, knowing that maybe all they will do is save a VERSION of themselves. But there's a failure to think that thru. If all their actions do is create an alternate timeline, then they still exist, in their Future, and they can try something else. There is no "ultimate sacrifice".

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 2:43am | IP Logged | 7  

(forgive my automatic french keyboard for thé and failure !)

Exactly, the future's X-Men "best" hope is Kate's gamble, leading them to vanish, but, Plan B, with their present facing nuclear apocalypse, they try a last gamble, cause they can't stay sit (but Magnéto :) waiting to vanish or get nuked, better die free fighting !

Philippe Pinoli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 2:47am | IP Logged | 8  

Btw, did anyone heard Days of Future Past should be the next X-Men movie story ?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 4:10am | IP Logged | 9  

Philippe,i`d read that Fox had registered the title.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 10  

…oh dear…

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 6:41am | IP Logged | 11  

I think even if Clarmont hadn't changed the ending of Days of Future
Past, it would have still been changed into "created an alternate
reality" because...well that's the what Marvel always does. They even
did it with Age of Apocolypse. It was supposed to have been erased
at the end of the original storyline; now it's an alternate universe.

I wonder what I originally thought of the Clarmont scene when I read
it, because I am not sure I interpreted it as Kate returning to her
timeline and that she failed and created a divergent timeline for the
modern day X-men. I think I was surprised when Marvel went back to
that reality. I may have thought Kate went back to an altered timeline
where only she knew what happened. After all the paradox effect
suggests a Kate must always come back and warn the X-men about
Kelly's death. (One could say, her motive for coming back now is
because she knew she would come back since she had already lived
through it.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2012 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 12  

After all the paradox effect suggests a Kate must always come back and warn the X-men about Kelly's death. (One could say, her motive for coming back now is because she knew she would come back since she had already lived through it.)

••

The best thing about time travel is that it's NOT REAL. So writers of time travel stories are free to set up their own rules, and, as long as they stay true to those rules, pretty much anything is fair game.

The "paradox effect" -- I assume you mean the "Grandfather Paradox" -- is but ONE interpretation of how time travel MIGHT work. There are many, many others.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version