Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Paul Gillon (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 1  

Recently discovered the work of this French (?) artist. Really superb stuff. Strongly reminiscent of Frank Springer in his PHOEBE ZEIT-GEIST days.

Check him out.

Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Cordier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 2  

One of the best french (indeed) artists An incredible talent and a very nice guy (I spoke with him, once in...1998?) He said what had to be said (about the art/comics/bandes dessinees) but still very nice
His original art pages were so huge

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 3  

••

That would explain how he managed to get such amazingly fine and delicate line!

Erin Anna Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 10:04am | IP Logged | 4  

Wow, this guy is good. He has great body language with his figures, not that I could find anything wrong with his backgrounds. I'm agree with John nice delicate line work. 

LeeChristopher Coss
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

It says he passed away May 21, 2011 really a great talent!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Ghekiere
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 6  

Beautiful lines, reminding me of JLGL on more than one piece.

Love it!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Pascal LISE
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2012 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 7  

••

That would explain how he managed to get such amazingly fine and delicate line!

---

A couple of years ago, my compagny organized a marketing event on comics.

Guess what was the winner's prize? One original art page from Paul Gillon.

Unfortunately, I was forbidden to enter the competition (of course)!

His final work has been recently released : The third (and last) issue of "l'Ordre de Cicéron" : Le survivant (2009).

Paul Gillon was a true master of the field, among his peers he was considered as one of the best artist ever, possibly the greatest in the genre of the realistic comicbook style.

Edited by Pascal LISE on 05 June 2012 at 4:01pm

Philippe Cordier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2012 at 1:26am | IP Logged | 8  

L'ordre de ciceron, book 3 is indeed Gillon's last work; But the last book is the 4th. Gillon did a couple pf pages but another artist did them again and finished the book (it doesn't look bad, but Gillon was so much better)
Gillon was an artist's artist; He worked the old fashioned way  : paper, pencil, ink and a room full of pics and ref
His art was somthing to look at in person

Pedro Bouça
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2012 at 3:15am | IP Logged | 9  

Gillon was indeed one of the great realistic comic artists, with an impressively long career.

For many years he did a Heart of Juliet Jones inspired strip named 13 Rue de l'Espoire (13 Hope Street). I understand the work remains uncollected even in France, but here is a small sample: http://www.coinbd.com/series-bd/13-rue-de-l-espoir/tome-1/im ages/planche/7852_t1.jpg

His most famous work in France is Les Naufragés du Temps (which would translate to something like Timewrecked), which is still very much available in France.

I think his only work translated to english was the post-apocalyptic erotic series The Survivor, long out of print. A crying shame! That comic was translated pretty much everywhere and was the first work of his I ever saw, in the brazilian edition. It's telling that his most widespread work was his sole erotic comic...

His last work was lawyer series L'Ordre de Cicéron (The Order of Cicero), about a family of jewish lawyers. That's the kind of comic that one would expect to exist in the US, yet it doesn't (except for a few super-hero-related storylines in Daredevil or She-Hulk).

Sadly he was one of those talented european artists who is fairly unknown in the US. I hope an enterprising publisher translates some of his works to english someday.

Here is a detailed obituary in english from the Comics Reporter site: http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/paul_gillon_1926_201 1/

Steve Lieber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2012 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 10  

Huge fan of Gillon here. I first discovered his work in the one English volume of Les Naufrages Du Temps that someone- NBM?- published in the 80s under the name Lost inTime. It had an Alex Toth intro that praised Gillon's work, despite its slick, Raymond/Williamson/Drake surface. (And who but Toth could use those guys as a negative example?) I asked a French editor who'd worked with Gillon about his originals, and he pointed to the door we'd just walked through and said they were about half the size of that.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2012 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 11  

On the strength of what I read on this thread and saw on the links, I checked Amazon.   They have available from used booksellers Lost in Time (best search term, "Lost in Time Gillon") and "The Survivor No. 1" (which a straight "Paul Gillon" search will bring up).  If you read/speak French or are content to just look at the art, and don't mind more substantial prices, there are several foreign editions available.

It depresses me sometimes what isn't available to us in English, but I shouldn't complain--it wasn't all that long ago that Raymond, Foster, Caniff, Harold Gray, Leonard Starr and many of the comic books of the forties were out of print and unavailable, so the glass is definitely better than half full as we live in a golden age of American comic strip and book reprints.  We need to do a lot better making the great stuff from around the world more available.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged | 12  

Wow, he was good! Great find JB. Thank you for sharing.

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version