Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Commissioned Artwork
Byrne Robotics > Commissioned Artwork Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Real Swinger - 05.27.2012 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:18am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

11" x 17" multi-panel commission featuring Spider-Man done in pencil, ink, and tones. The details are:

- please include a row of panels along the top showing Peter Parker changing into Spider-Man

- the vast majority of the page is a large panel of Spider-Man swinging or leaping as you drew him in Spider-Man: Chapter One. (With large buggy eyes, chunky chest symbol, and webbing under the arms).

The commissioner referenced Chapter One #3, pages 8 and 9 and Chapter One # 4 Pg. 9 as favorite examples.

The setting is up to you.

Back to Top profile | search

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Awesome!  I can almost feel the energy in the piece.

Chris Basken
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

As a reader who primarily knew Spider-Man from the 80s, I always missed the underarm webbing (which was largely absent at that time but I knew had existed in earlier versions). It's such a signature element.

Great image!

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

damn that's pretty!

Dan Marcoux
Byrne Robotics Member
Wha’ Happened?

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:32am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The big scan is in the gallery...

http://www.artofjohnbyrne.com/gallery/commissions/commission s-standard/
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

As a reader who primarily knew Spider-Man from the 80s, I always missed the underarm webbing (which was largely absent at that time but I knew had existed in earlier versions). It's such a signature element.

••

When I started drawing Spider-Man for Marvel, I naturally included the underarm webbing, as Ditko had. I got a call, tho, from one of the editors, telling me to stop, that the webbing had not been part of the costume for YEARS. I reached over to my spinner rack, and pulled out the closest issue of one of the Spider-Titles. "Does it bother you at all," I asked, "that the webbing is in the corner symbol?"

"It is?" The editor huffed and puffed for a bit, then said "All right, look. You stop doing it for now, and we'll do a story in which he puts it back!"

I felt like somebody had reached out and crushed my heart. That was so...... DC!

Ryan Maxwell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Just perfect! 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

WOW! Out. Of. The. Park!!!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Beautifully done.  The tones have really interesting effects!

Where's the signature?  Am I missing it...?
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Where's the signature? Am I missing it...?

Oops! Got so hung up on the tones, forgot to sign it. Forgot the copyright notice, too! Thanks for the catch, Joe!

William Rossel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As a side note that the Library of Congress might reference in the case, for example, explaining to chief Justice Roberts that all we have here is an artist has drawn an angry Tyros in the convenience of distributed initial suggestion of Fantastic Four and X-Men copyright and that would indicate where the Supreme Being of Thought would have to be kept safe in some other suggestion of before and by the time progress of space where advantage might run up on it and, of course, a chief career judicial employment opportunity that would make a career politician sell his homes in golden search of if that were it.

And, yea, I'll bet there are government forums where judicial interns in waiting guess upon foum posts like this in private to notice their employment opportunity but aren't supposed to reveal, I just noticed. Good day for the drawing. I just remembered this from noticing a child would pay attention to Wolverine clawing that wooden picnic tables from the Prometheus Phoenix episodes in the seventies I was bought  at a convenience store while vacationing at a Holiday Inn as a child in Florida.

The drawing looks like that movie actor realizing, "Wait a minute, how did that director choreograph, direct, and film that Spiderman movie in reality if it happened too fast."

(I would think I'd  have have to append the second post to this first comment if in the case: What's startlingly sad about it is that a mercenary would have to make that post today stating tables instead of table to stay out of how the United States Federal Government could be overspending his provisions if he missed it and that were it. The previous comment I'm referring to I mean)

Edited by William Rossel on 27 May 2012 at 10:29am

Chuck Wells
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2012 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Smart idea for a commission. Makes it a bit more like your very own personal page, and the final product was just knocked out of the park by the boss.

Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version