Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: how do you know? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2012 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

i have .noticed that anytime i go to the movies with my brothers, they always comment on how such and such "nailed" the part. yet no one but me ever reads comics. they refuse to read them,but are first in line when a new movie comes out.  this goes all the way back to the first bat-man movie. does this ever happen to you guys?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 17 May 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'm not exactly sure what happened to you, so I don't know if it happened to me.

Back to Top profile | search

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2012 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

Ed: i have .noticed that anytime i go to the movies with my brothers, they always comment on how such and such "nailed" the part. yet no one but me ever reads comics. they refuse to read them,but are first in line when a new movie comes out.  this goes all the way back to the first bat-man movie. does this ever happen to you guys?

---

I've never been to the movies with your brothers. 

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged | 4  

I don't know exactly what you're asking either...

Are you asking: Why do some people like super hero movies... yet they have no interest in comic books...?

Or something like that?

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged | 5  

I get what's being asked here, and I've seen the same thing happen with other people: Non-comics fans who like superheroes in other mediums, like films, think they know a comics character even though they never really followed that character in the comic books. What I think Ed is asking is how do these people think they know what is the correct portrayal if they don;t even read the comics the characters came from?

On a somewhat similar note... Years ago a customer came into my shop who was looking for Superman merchandise. This fellow worked out and wanted to be "Superman" for the Metropolis, Illinois Superman Celebration. He had a Superman tattoo, as I recall, and wore Superman shirts, and told me he had statues, action figures, etc., with Superman. He proclaimed himself Superman's biggest fan. I told him that I had some toys and such, and then I also noted I had a lot of Superman comic books.

"I don't buy the comics," he informed me.

How can you be Superman's "biggest fan" and not buy the comics??

I also have a friend who will tell you he is a fan of Marvel superheroes, but he has never really read any comic books in his life. As a youngster (he's a bit younger than me), he bought the comics cards in the 1990's, and read the info on those cards, and that is the extent of his knowledge on those characters for the most part, other than what he learns from me, yet he still claims he's a fan. And, like Ed's brother, my friend will go to every movie about the characters. Odd.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 12:09am | IP Logged | 6  

My local comic shop in San Francisco was next door to a tattoo parlor.  More than once, the owner would have someone come in and ask to borrow a copy of a comic book as reference for a tattoo, which was always a real head-scratcher.  You're willing to drop a couple hundred bucks on a tattoo, but not two or three for reference--for something that you supposedly love enough to get permanently etched into your skin.  Crazy.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 12:59am | IP Logged | 7  

YEARS ago... a friend of mine had a SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE poster on a wall in his room -- and called himself a "fan of Superman". He loved that movie. He didn't read Superman comics (I didn't really read DC back then either).

I didn't think it was odd. There's been many variations on Superman over the years... comic books, TV shows, serials... my friend was a fan of the Superman character he saw in SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE. He was a "fan of Superman". He didn't HAVE to read the comic book to say he was a "fan of Superman"... right?

Maybe I still don't understand what this thread is about...

Craig Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 6:43am | IP Logged | 8  

Nothing like this has ever happened to me, but I tend to only talk comic book movies with other comic book fans.  Or my wife, who knows more about comics than she otherwise should from years of being in proximity to my rants.  I typically only watch comic book movies with my son. 

Speaking of whom, my son had an interesting inverse of this phenomenon at school.  While discussing AVENGERS with his 7th grade lunch-table comrades, one kid said that he felt Jeremy Renner should have been Dr. Banner and that Tom Cruise should have been Hawkeye.  I don't know how I feel about this.  One, it's good that kids are still having these kinds of discussions about casting comic book characters that I had in 7th grade. B, Tom Cruise as Hawkeye??!!

Edited by Craig Robinson on 18 May 2012 at 6:45am

Ed Munoz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 9  

I get what's being asked here, and I've seen the same thing happen with other people: Non-comics fans who like superheroes in other mediums, like films, think they know a comics character even though they never really followed that character in the comic books. What I think Ed is asking is how do these people think they know what is the correct portrayal if they don;t even read the comics the characters came from?
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------------
sorry if i wasnt very clear on the topic,but this is what i  meant.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 10  

Nathan wrote:
...There's been many variations on Superman over the years... comic books, TV shows, serials... my friend was a fan of the Superman character he saw in SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE. He was a "fan of Superman". He didn't HAVE to read the comic book to say he was a "fan of Superman"... right?...

The guy I mentioned said he was "Superman's biggest fan," not merely a "fan of Superman."

Therein lies the difference.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Steve Ogden
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 11  

The one that bugs me the most is when the non-comic book readers state in some form or fashion that the Heather Ledger Joker was/is the best Joker...ever. That he really nailed the part.
And, I really, really want to throw them in a chair with a stack of Batman/Detective Comics where The Joker is prominent and say read these dumb-ass and then please tell me how Heath Ledger makes a great Joker. 

Neil Brauer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2012 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 12  

One of the luxuries of my job is that I can dress however I want.  I wear a lot of vintage concert tees as well as superhero tees.  What I've noticed since the superhero movies have come out en force is I get many more comments about the superhero shirts.  To the "general public", seeing the movies makes them fans of the characters.  They generally seem interested in the characters they don't know that happen to be on one of the shirts I'm wearing.  A lot of times they will ask me to name and give a brief history of characters they don't know and they will proudly point out and name the ones they do know.  Mind you, I don't think most of them know there is a difference between Marvel and DC, but they have seen the movies and in their eyes, are fans.

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version