Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: TRIO #1 Discussion Thread (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2012 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

Wonderful 1st issue!  Mixed feeling, like I'm jumping into a the middle of a story yet ALL the info I need to go forward is right there and I'm not missing anything.  Perfectly done JB.

At my LCS I didn't see any copies so I asked the owner.  He replied that he ordered "a shit-load" and that they were on the shelf.  When I still couldn't find it he looked and then gleefully replied that he must have sold them all.  He did grab me a copy he had in reserve for himself so I managed to snag one.  Sell out here and looks like he'll be ordering more! 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Carlos Mucha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2012 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 2  

Carlos, this is the first appearance of TRIO. You have all their appearances starting with issue one.

Wow! Great to know!.
Back to Top profile | search

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2012 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 3  

Got the last copy on the stands -- the only thing I bought.  The LCS owner asked, "Getting your Byrne fix?"

"I tried smokin' Liefelds," I quipped, "but the flavor's almost non-existant."

No laugh, so I didn't ask for a bump of McFarlane.

But I DID love the issue!  Good fun, great ride -- can't wait to see where it goes!

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2012 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

Read it, loved it. Interesting first issue. Interesting codenames and interesting the labels the media hanged to them.

Even if they seem to look alike, I bet that "One" is not like Great Lake Avengers' Flatman. And looking at Nautilus, and the last page, reminded me of Namor.

Edited by Juan Jose Colin Arciniega on 11 May 2012 at 6:58pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 May 2012 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 5  

Even if they seem to look alike, I bet that "One" is not like Great Lake Avengers' Flatman.

••

A blue costumed Caucasian male, and a white costumed Asian female --- look alike?

Ohhhhh-kay. . . . . .

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 6  

Another TRIO question for JB:

Now that you are working on a full superhero universe book again, has that allowed you the opportunity to use some concepts and designs that you may have come up with earlier, but were not able use in your previous books, like NEXT MEN or STAR TREK?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

Now that you are working on a full superhero universe book again, has that allowed you the opportunity to use some concepts and designs that you may have come up with earlier, but were not able use in your previous books, like NEXT MEN or STAR TREK?

••

In a word, no! TRIO has allowed me to bring some characters "back" into the limelight, but everything else is new to, and created for, this series.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 8  

Thanks for clarification JB!

Juan Jose Colin Arciniega
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2012 at 8:34pm | IP Logged | 9  

Even if they seem to look alike, I bet that "One" is not like Great Lake Avengers' Flatman.

••

A blue costumed Caucasian male, and a white costumed Asian female --- look alike?

Ohhhhh-kay. . . . . .

----------------

I meant their special abilities (being flat and able to stretch). Looks like both characters have the same special abilities, but the way you did draw them, indicates that the nature of those abilities are different...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:39am | IP Logged | 10  

I really enjoyed the book, and I'm looking forward to it lasting a very long time! 

A pair of questions and comments for JB - 

1) Why did you decide to use this particular paper stock for the series? I realize the new "self-covering" policy of IDW was a happy accident that led to the really sharp appearance on the store shelf, yet even discounting that the look of the interior is very nice, and I really like the texture and the way it holds colour. 

2) Since you use this forum as your "letters column" for the books you work on, would you mind passing along a compliment to the colourist, Ronda Pattison for me? I'm particularly captivated by the way she brings out the details in your work. It's very nice to see the attention given to backgrounds, like when Colin arrives home in the cab and all the buildings have different colours, and have shaded sides, and the window frames and trees and car lights and cobblestone sidewalk insets are all distinct, or the first page where the robotic villain (Arky?) is standing in front of the bank, and all the details around him are clearly accented. 

You put a lot of details into your work, and she makes them really pop without becoming distracting to the flow of the story. It's a beautiful book just to spend time going back and absorbing once you're done reading it!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2012 at 2:28am | IP Logged | 11  

All sold out at 2 of my Paris LCS. No luck. I wanted to buy bothe covers but...

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 May 2012 at 4:35am | IP Logged | 12  

A pair of questions and comments for JB -

1) Why did you decide to use this particular paper stock for the series? I realize the new "self-covering" policy of IDW was a happy accident that led to the really sharp appearance on the store shelf, yet even discounting that the look of the interior is very nice, and I really like the texture and the way it holds colour.

••

I asked for an uncoated stock so TRIO would look and feel more like what is, to me, a "real" comicbook.

+++

2) Since you use this forum as your "letters column" for the books you work on, would you mind passing along a compliment to the colourist, Ronda Pattison for me? I'm particularly captivated by the way she brings out the details in your work. It's very nice to see the attention given to backgrounds, like when Colin arrives home in the cab and all the buildings have different colours, and have shaded sides, and the window frames and trees and car lights and cobblestone sidewalk insets are all distinct, or the first page where the robotic villain (Arky?) is standing in front of the bank, and all the details around him are clearly accented.

••

I've been very impressed with Ronda's work, and have told her so!

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version