Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Doctor Doom VS Marvel Universe (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

Doctor Doom is one of my favourite Marvel villains, if not the best villain. I'll exclude Galactus as a villain - despite the harm his actions have done - but as far as villainy goes, Doctor Doom is probably my favourite, followed by the likes of Green Goblin, The Mandarin, The Leader, The Red Skull and Doctor Octopus.

I have four questions here, would love to hear people's thoughts.

1.) Is there anyone Doom hasn't fought in comics? I can't recall him ever facing Wolverine or any of the X-Men. Not sure he's faced Nova, Man-Thing or Iron Fist. Apart from that, he appears to have faced most Marvel heroes.

2.) Is Doctor Doom one of those characters who is writer-proof? No-one ever seems to do anything wrong with the character, he always seems to work, no matter the writer. Is he just one of those characters who can work all of the time?

3.) What villain VS villain match-up would you like to see Doom have? Personally, I'm intrigued by seeing him go up against The Leader.

4.) In an intercompany crossover, what hero would you have Doom fight? If it were DC, I'd love to see Batman and Robin in Latveria. Outside DC, I'd like to see Doom in Mega-City One taking on Judge Dredd in a time travel adventure.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 22 February 2012 at 7:09pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brandon Scott Berthelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 2  

Wolverine and the X-Men had dealings with Doom around issue 147.
As to your second point many people complain about Doom being
written to tolerate Arcade striking a match on his armor.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 3  

Doom vs the Leader would be neat. So would seeing him go up against
the Red Skull!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 4  

Oh, there have been some awful Doom stories--Doctor Doom being taken out by Squirrel Girl is the first one to come to my mind.

Villain vs Villain--right now I'd like to see Doom school Osborn. I liked the Super-Villain Team-ups of the 70s; with the right writer/artist I'd like to see a Doom/Red Skull war.

Crossover to DC; Ra's al Ghul would be an interesting match.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 5  

Robbie: Is there anyone Doom hasn't fought in comics? I can't recall him ever facing Wolverine or any of the X-Men.

---

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 6  

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

I didn't read this... but...

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 8  

Is Doctor Doom one of those characters who is writer-proof?

Didn't someone have him wearing garments made of human skin a few years ago? That doesn't seem very Doom-ish.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 9  

I DID read this... but I don't remember what happened in the story...

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 10  

Doom has, in my opinion, had his share of poor writing over the years, including extended story runs that were designed to either run counter to what we know of Doom (Morrison had Doom kneeling before a powerful God being and playing at being its servant) or upping the ante on making Doom more and more of a violent bad-ass in these more adult-oriented times (Dig the new threads Valeria made!)

Doom has largely survived unscathed due to his inherent grandiose nature and the fact that characters tend to return to form when let alone for awhile (one reason the X-Men are so grossly distorted from their original characterizations is that they're never allowed down-time from the ongoing melodramatic treadmill and the changes had accreted like countless layers of barnicles.)

When changes are made to characters, they are usually made to the baseline version, and Lee & Kirby's Doom is colorful and distinctive. No one much cares to further Mark Waid or Grant Morrison's "vision" of who Doom is. No one wants to explore the concept of that leather armor and its horrific origin. Everyone would rather write Doom as defined by Lee/Kirby and add their own touches and departures to their classic incarnation.

As such, bad writing hasn't "stuck" to Doom the way it has to so very many other characters.

Which villain would I like to see Doom battle? It's hard to say since Doom is pretty much in a class by himself. I could see a good match against Loki... Cross-company, Brainiac, preferably the Ed Hannigan-designed model.

I love most of the DC misfit teams and characters. Doom attempting to utilize Deadman on a trip into Hell seems promising to me. Doom vs. the Doom Patrol would be giddy fun, especially if it seemed they lived up to their name by accepting asylum from a world that dislikes them in Latveria and looked as if they were doing his bidding...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 11  

Robbie: Not sure he's faced Nova...

---

Maybe here?

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2012 at 8:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

Robbie: Man-Thing...