Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Spider-Man Poll: Ditko or Romita & Why (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 1  

Ditko, for me. BUT, if I were to sum up Spider-man for anyone who wasn't familiar with the comics, I'd give them Romita.

Plus, I'd take Romita's go-go girls over Ditko's ladies any day. Ditko's villains, however...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

Ditko is the winner. He drew the perfect Spider-Man and awkward Peter Parker. No one could match those designs he created for the villains. Spider-Man to me was the everyman who became a hero. Ditko captured this brilliantly. Romita, while a great artist, made Spider-Man and his cast too pretty and mainstream.

Back to Top profile | search

Jimmie Harvey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 3  

Ditko, since I liked his quirky style. It seemed to be the right style for the strip. Ditko's villians to me were fantastic and seemed to lose a little of their uniqueness in others hands.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

TOUGH question.  Spider-Man became my favorite character during the Kane years, but I was able to get quite a few Romita Sr issues during that time.  His work was also what was used in promo pieces, posters and merchandise throughout the 70's (hell, it's still heavily used today!).  My first introduction to Ditko wasn't through his work on ASM but with MACHINE MAN.  Suffice it to say, at the time I wasn't a fan.  His work was so different from what was considered the Marvel House style that my teenaged brain processed it as being bad.  It didn't take too long, however, for me to realize how wrong I was.  In my quest to get my hands on everything Spider-Man, I had a subscription to MARVEL TALES at just the right time when they started reprinting Ditko's work.  I finally got what everyone else was talking about and fell in love with his work.  Now I seek it out any chance I can.

Long story short (too late!) I now associate Spider-Man with Ditko.  As much as I love Romita Sr. and Kane's work on the character, Ditko was the only one that gave Peter that scrawny teenaged look that bespoke a character that was bullied in high school.  Romita's Peter looks downright buff and ruggedly handsome.  Kane's Peter is more in the style of Romita's and not Ditko's.  None of this is to say that I dislike the work of either men.  Far from it.  But I immediately think of Ditko when I think of Spider-Man.  Hands down. 

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 5  

Like Matt said, tough question. I like each for diffent reasons.

Ditko made Spider-Man costume black and red which I prefer over the
blue it later became. He also had a way of doing the webbing that
nobody has really duplicated. Then there's the villains. Nobody made
them look as cool.

Romita on the other hand is the Spider-Man I grew up with. When I
think of an image of him, Romita's version is the one I see. His
swinging, and wall crawling poses had movement and a grace about
them that really made his work standout.

Robert White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

This is really tough, as many have mentioned. Aesthetically, I find Romita to be more pleasing, by Ditko's art, while not technically as proficient in some areas, is far more expressive and filled with symbolism (usually emotional symbolism). I'd have to go with Ditko because of his creativity and originality.

Michael Wolner Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

Romita but I like Ditko also.  Gil Kane inked by Romita is my favorite Spider-Man artist.  
Back to Top profile | search | www

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 3:13pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ditko.

Had I been asked this question 5 or more years ago, the answer would have instantly been Romita. When I first read Spider-Man in comics form it was being drawn by Ron Frenz, so that sort of style is what I associated with Spider-Man. My first exposure to earlier Spider-Man material was those indexes Marvel used to publish and the first one I saw covered the Romita issues, so I saw Romita's work on those covers. Since Romita is closer in style to Frenz than Ditko, I loved Romita's work immediately. Not long after that, I saw the early Ditko Spider-Man stories for the first time and it didn't work for me. Spider-Man stories were not supposed to look like THAT. They were supposed to look like Romita (and Frenz) and other artists that I considered, at the time, "realistic" as opposed to "cartoony."

But, somewhere along the line I actually grew to appreciate the many, many styles of art that the world of comics includes and one day I suddenly "got" Ditko! Now, depending on what day of the week it was, I might answer "Ditko" to the question of "Who is your favorite comics artist?" although I can never pick a constant favorite. Ditko is certainly what I think of when I think of Spider-Man now.

So, my answer would be Ditko, but major points still go to Romita as a close second and I'll always love Ron Frenz's work on the character too.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

I love Ditko's version, but Romita just about edges it for me.

Ditko better captures the concept of the outsider/permanently down on his luck Peter Parker, so maybe I'm a sell out for liking Romita's slightly more glamorous version, but this is Spider-Man for me:

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

When I answer off the top of my head it is Romita. His is the Spider-man image I think of.  When I start really thinking about it becomes Ditko. The stories and characters were so amazing. He was a pretty great artist as well. :)

Brad Teschner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 5:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

I choose not to choose. They are both iconic!

Paul Reis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 January 2012 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 12  

i like them both, but prefer Ditko, and i have no idea how to explain it in words.someone up above used the word quirkyness with Ditko, maybe that's it.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version