Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Stories and characters that fans and pros misunderstand (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2011 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

Another thing about DKR that I think is misinterpreted is the Batman/Superman fight. It's always trotted out as a "suck it" to Superman fans but the way I've always read it is that Superman lets Batman "win". Throughout the fight Superman is more concerned with Batman's health than winning the fight.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2011 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 2  

The fight really would have been two panels. In the first, Superman and Batman confront one another. In the second, Superman has to decide what to do with Batman's unconcious body.
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2011 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

Marvel seems to have a thing now for characters with extended life spans. I guess it was so popular with Wolverine, they're doing it with everyone.   Even the Black Widow is written to have lived during WWII now.

IIRC, this was not the reason why Blade was given an expanded lifespan. This was a decision that was at least partly based off of faulty research and the misreading of an old story on the part of the writer. IIRC, the writer of the last Blade series got a lot (not all) of his info about Blade's history from doing research online. Why he had to go online to research his history instead of getting all of that info from Marvel, is beyond me to answer.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 September 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

With the Soviet Union having collapsed 20 years ago most of the Commie villains are gonna have to get long in the tooth to retain their Red credentials.

++

Which was why, when I retold the Hulk's origin during my second brief tenure with the character, I turned "Igor", the Soviet spy, into a Skrull, tying in with LOST GENERATION and other established Marvel lore.

==

As I recall the sh*t hit the fan over that.

••

A very, very, VERY small amount of sh*t. But, when you have fanboy editors and fanboy writers, all eager to behave as unprofessionally as they possibly can. . .

Johan Vikberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2011 at 6:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

When Captain America’s shield breaks, how does it get put together again? Who does that? How? Or does he get a new shield? Who makes that? How?

Kip Lewis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2011 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 6  

The last time; magic broke Cap's shield; magic fixed it. (Thor with the
Odin Power did it.)

Current time, probably same way. Magic was the reason--Odin's
brother and equal broke it, so my guess is magic will fix it.

Magic should always be an exception to the shield's indestructable
nature; at least for the higher level beings.

Then there was one time it broke because of some vibranium thing.
Didn't get that story. (Vibranium mixature was a mistake for Cap's
shield. Vibranium absorbs impact, meaning bullets wouldn't bounce
off nor would the shield ricochet.)

When did the shield become the most invulnerable thing in Marvel?
When Cap showed up in the 60s, the shield wasn't always written that
way.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2011 at 7:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

Sparkling Nazis! Knut, you've given me an idea...
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 September 2011 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 8  

When Captain America’s shield breaks, how does it get put together again? Who does that? How? Or does he get a new shield? Who makes that? How?

••

One of the Stupidest Things Ever Done in Comics -- and I appreciate that there are a lot to chose from! -- was when Shooter had the Molecule Man "break" Cap's shield and the Surfer's board in SECRET WARS.

Oh, sure, they were restored at the end of the story -- but that same story informed us that the plumbing no longer worked in a city the Molecule Man had similarly disassembled, because he "doesn't understand plumbing".

So, apparently he can tell the molecules in the mysterious alloy of Cap's shield, and the cosmic plasma of the Surfer's board to just go back where you came from, but he can't do that for ordinary PIPES??

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 September 2011 at 8:29pm | IP Logged | 9  

Similar thing happened in Avengers. Molecule Man restored everyone's stuff, but couldn't just put Iron Man's armor back. He did make a red and yellow suit!

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2011 at 10:43am | IP Logged | 10  

I think the best solution to Communist villains is to make them Nazis, which are timeless.

How are Nazis more timeless than Communists?  Communism, as an organized movement, has existed in one form or another from the beginning of the industrial revolution to the present day.  It has existed as a viable political party on every populated continent on the planet, and has managed to establish itself as the official state party in nations on five of the six.
No matter how often the ideology is discredited, it still has yet to go away.

Communist villains can easily be rewritten as national heroes with legitimate foreign policy conflicts with the US (for writers up to the challenge)

Would you mind setting up a framework in which this is possible?

Knut Robert Knutsen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2011 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 11  

"Would you mind setting up a framework in which this is possible?"

US Superheroes would mostly come into conflict with Communist Superbeings in Espionage situations (which would still be an option. Even allies spy on eachother) or in situations where the US and a Communist country would take opposite sides in the territorial conflict of a third country.

Say for instance that US superheroes were involved in an operation in Afghanistan and pursued some superpowered terrorist into China only to be stopped by a Chinese hero. Certainly that's an opportunity for legitimate conflict between US and Chinese heroes that would not necessitate the Chinese hero being either communist or villainous.

But those are just off the top of my head. I'd expect a writer actually doing such a story to do a bit more research than 1 minute on Wikipedia.

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2011 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 12  

It sounds as if you're suggesting a necessary divorcing of the hero from his communism.  A cookie-cut hero who just happens to be "Communist" doesn't sound much like the fruit of a writer who happens to be up to any challenge, much less the clearing of the high hurdle you've earlier set.   

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version