Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q for ALL: Comic hunting! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 1  

Re-reading the FF/JB Visionaries, I remember having to search and find, say #236, and felt incomplete without it in my posession, and paid whatever they told me to pay.

I had, at my disposal, a second hand cards and comics store in my hometown, and, if I wanted to bike the 14 miles (which I did many times), I had a direct market shop.

My question to the OLDER members of the group:

HOW did you find YOUR missing comics!?!?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 2  

I was always fortunate enough to have a pretty good comic shop in the neighborhood as a kid - but I generally got everything I wanted when it came out from the local convenience and drug store.  I was thorough.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged | 3  

I remember not being able to find Uncanny X-Men #137 at any of the local stores. The story had been building for months and all of the sudden, the Shop-A-Snack, the Majik Market, the local drug store, all of them were no help, and then I found #138 on the stands, so I was really in a bad way then. Oh, and there were no comic shops in the area back then. Finally, three months after it came out and me wondering what had happened, I chanced upon a guy at a flea market selling comics and he had a copy. Needless to say, I was blown away by that book.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chris Cottrill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 4  

Flea Markets,Yard Sales,Rummage sales,Auctions (Offline type).
There were no comic shops in my area until the 90's. 

Brad Danson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 5  

The only comic shop was a 45 mile drive so I rarely went there as a child.  From age 8 to 15, I bought new comics by bicycling around to the various convenience and grocery stores in my small town.  Older comic purchases were few and far between.  After hearing about the Dark Phoenix saga for years acquaintance of my brother was selling a run of UNCANNY from #125 to #165, all for $40.  I begged my mother to buy them but she thought the price was ridiculous.  After a week of begging and me showing her the value of them in the price guides I finally convinced her to let me buy them.  We had to track the guy down into the shadiest part of town you have ever seen.  I lived through it though so it was all worth it.
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Pruitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 6  

There was a shop in my neighborhood when I was a kid, called Big Fred's Coins and Stamps, that sold old comics for a quarter, and that's where I picked up my JB back issues, like Iron Fist, Doomsday +1 and a few others I had missed by starting with X-Men #112 off the rack.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paulo Pereira
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

Mostly Mile High Comics. Sometimes the local comic shop.

Jeff Marvin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

I made the rounds - two local comic shops, Publix Supermarket -a grocery store, is where I found the Busiek/Perez Avengers # 1, got my first Byrne X-Men at a convenience store/gas station - anywhere and evreywhere.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 9  

The next town over had a local shop that I would get to go to once in a blue moon with my older cousins. My first back issue purchased at a shop was here and it was ALPHA FLIGHT 12. Filled all of JB's AVENGERS and all but 3 ( guess which ones!) of IRON FIST here, as well. Then, in Nashville, every now and then, I'd get to go to the Great Escape. Don't remember picking up a bulk of anything here, just loved going. Most of my earlier comic-filling was done thru Mile High and thos double-page ads that were in the middle of the Marvel books back then. ( I distinctly remember ordering X-MEN 137 and it being unavailable so they filled it with my first replacement choice: DAREDEVIL 181.)

Here's an addendum question: How did you guys decide what back issues you wanted to go after?  For me, what got me started on them were the little editor's notes on the pages. I had to have all these issues that were being referenced. Then, as I got older, I started hunting down everything by that Byrne guy, and while not complete, I have pretty much everything except his Charlton work. He's still the artist whose body of work I have the most of. JRjr's probably second, but I've actually not gone on a search for his work specifically. ( Except for STAR BRAND.) Didn't have to. He just happened to be the artist on a bunch of books I wanted anyway.

Craig Bogart
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

There were three different retail stores in the area to search for recent issues.  Back in middle school, before my one-stoplight town got a comic store in the mid-1980's, I had a friend whose father was a lifelong collector who bought and sold collections.  I could give my friend wish lists and he's bring in books to sell us during homeroom.  It's a wonder nobody got in trouble over that.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 11  

I always wanted to order back issues from those catalogs in comic books, but they seemed sort of sketchy to me, especially in the days before paypal (or the internet at all for that matter)!

Edited by Jason Larouse on 06 July 2011 at 2:51pm

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 July 2011 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 12  

Flea Markets, Garage Sales, Comic Book Shops, Comics Shows and going from Convenience to Drug stores. I've done it all in my time.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version