Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Too many words? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 1  

Credit Roger Stern for what seems to be Chris' restrained verbiage during much of my time on the book. As Rog used to joke, he edited Chris' scripts by just removing every third word.

Back to Top profile | search

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

But i always liked to read and am more interested in stories than in art.

••

Well, fuck me very much!

heh-heh. First af all you were alf of the stories both by co-ploting and by giving them shape trough your art.

Secondely your art (and also JRjr/Layton) is the one that made me take interest in the art.

My passion is stories: Novels, tales, movies, comics and of course the story of our world: history.

Art is something that i always liked but, like music, it was at the second place.

I began to give it more attention because of your X-Men work, so clearly i just express my dominant taste and nothing more by the post above.

I love your art, but i love it because it tells a story more than because it is beautiful. That has to do with me, not with the respective qualities of the two creators, particularly when like here they both are favorites of mine.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think if you enjoy a story, then the lenght is good, but if you find it dull then it reads like an eternity.

Dialogue lenght depends on the scene's needs imo.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 09 June 2011 at 12:57pm

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 4  

Absolutely Martin: it's interesting if it give us an insight of the characters, and i don't mind if it resays what you can already see in the pics. Because words and pics touch us differently.

And i also like to have a narrator, and if caption boxes aren't an absolute necessity, more often than not i like to see them. The emotion of a picture may be stronger when nothing prevent you to focus on it, but the "voice" of a story-teller has a charm, that is part of what i like in comics.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 09 June 2011 at 1:08pm

Don Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

...am more interested in stories than in art.

When it comes to comics, art is a big part of the story.

When Wolverine throws Colossus on a collision course towards Phoenix, I don't need to read a recitation of the Gettysburg address while it's happening.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 6  

I didn't make it far with the original silver age X-Men run either. It's true I kept thinking they took forever to read. Mostly, I didn't find them interesting.

So had they'd been more along 15 minutes, I would've kept on reading but it was too long for the enjoyment I got out of it. On the other hand, Chris could write in excess and I'd eat it all up because I was a fan. Which alienated tons of moderate fans or fans of the art.

In that sense, I think it's a good strategy to keep the reading difficulty and word usage reasonable for everyone. But as is, it's too minimalist for me.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 09 June 2011 at 1:56pm

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 1:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

I have a great love for the standard amount of text that Marvel generally had up through the 90's.

But the story's the thing. Claremont's "overwriting" never bothered me as long as the stories were good. Without knowing how
often the writing was a "bit" that was actually undermining something JB and Chris had discussed earlier-- I ate up all the inner
dialogue and narrator prose. Of course, when I don't like the story, no amount of "overwriting" or "underwriting" or "just-the-
right-amount-of-writing" actually matters.

It gave the books a lot of re-readability because -- and this is the funny thing as far as I'm concerned -- I scan the pictures
first and just enough text to follow along. But then I go back and read and get another "experience" out of it. Some writers are
so good that I find new good stuff after re-reading many times. Stan Lee and JB come to mind.

I am a little sorry JB no longer does as much thought balloon/narrator text as he used to. I loved his inner dialogue and narrator
insights.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 8  

That reminds me of a kid I knew back in the 70's, he told me that he ever only read the caption boxes and never the word balloons. I always thought that was strange.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

I still remember that kid that thought Iron Man dating a drunk bag lady in an alleyway was cool.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 10  

I prefer overwriting to underwriting.  Examples: Stan Lee over Image-type.

Frank Miller was the first person I noticed that really "wrote" with his art.  Taditionally, artists such as Kirby were undercreditted with how much "writing" was theirs.

I wonder if JB has used more words when writing and drawing or when writing with another artist.  I'd guess more words when he draws.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 11  

If the art is good, I can accept a writer who's a little verbose. I prefer a good
balance.

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2011 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

I miss the excitement of the old style Marvel writing...HANG LOOSE FRANTIC ONE! THIS IS IT, THE BLOCKBUSTER YOU DEMANDED! WHO SAYS THIS ISN'T THE MARVEL-AGE OF OVER THE TOP BLURBS?!? --Smiley.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version