Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Jor-El & Lara escaped Krypton (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 9:21am | IP Logged | 1  

I never forgot it Brad.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 9:47am | IP Logged | 2  

Sweet cover, though. Love the classic Superboy logo.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Foxx
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 3  

I'll tell you what Superboy's dark secret is...after all the love and affection that the Kent's showed him, by taking him in and giving him a family and a home, he still considers Jor-El and Lara his "real mother and father."

Ungrateful little...

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 4  

Nothing wrong with that Marc, after all they died they didn't abandon him, and their last act was to save their baby's life.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 5  

A better story might have been virtually identical, only this capsule contains a Jor-El and Lara from an alternate dimension where the Els, hoping to follow their child having been sent on his journey, used an experimental capsule that used a wormhole to escape... and inadvertently appeared into Superboy's reality... and hilarity ensues.

I got a million of 'em!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 6  

That reminds me of another story I once read (might have been in Superman Family) where Krypton exploded earlier and a younger Jor-El & Lara escaped to Earth, where it was Lara who became a Super-Heroine while Jor-El worked to advance Earth's sciences. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 7  

THEY ARE MY REAL MOTHER AND FATHER...ALIVE! BUT SLEEPING... AS IN SUSPENDED-ANIMATION! AND MY MOTHER... IS DRESSED FOR A NIGHT AT THE OPERA!

Did anyone actually die on Krypton when it exploded?
Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Robinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 12:53pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'll tell you what Superboy's dark secret is...after all the love and affection that the Kent's showed him, by taking him in and giving him a family and a home, he still considers Jor-El and Lara his "real mother and father."

SER: An example of how times have changed -- re: adoption. SMALLVILLE makes a point of Clark referring to his "biological parents" rather than his "real" parents.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 9  

Well, remember that by the time of this story, it had been established Superboy was at least 18 months old at the time Krypton exploded, and he had super-memory and total recall of his life on Krypton.  Given that, it's not surprising he should think of Jor-El and Lara as his parents, since he has many loving memories of them.  It doesn't take anything away from the Kents... "real parents" was the term that was used back then, insensitive as it may seem now to adoptive parents.

This story was edited by Murray Boltinoff, the same man who oversaw the revelation that Batman has an insane older brother.  Clearly he didn't let continuity get in the way of what he thought was a good story.  I get the sense he just intended this story as a one-off and probably didn't give it any further thought after it was published.

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 2:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

After looking at a few 50s & 60s Superboy stories, the Kents are most often referred to as Superboy's "foster" rather than "adoptive" parents.  This always made me feel that the Smallville Child welfare bureau could have pulled Clark out of the Kent's home at any time and put him in with another family.

Come to think of it, that might have been quite an interesting story!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 11  

Given the circumstances, I suppose "foster" is probably a more accurate term. Even tho they were eager to be rid of the baby who was proving so much more than they could handle, the staff at the orphanage were probably leery of letting an "elderly" couple actually ADOPT the kid!

And with all the "gimmick" stories of the Fifties and Sixties, I'm surprised, now that I think about it, that there wasn't one in which a YOUNG couple showed up to actually adopt Clark. (Probably turning out to be gangsters, aliens, or alien gangsters!).

Michael Todd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2011 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
alien gangsters!
Ah! That old chestnut.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version