Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Underrated Aspects of Mr. Byrne’s Work (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 1  

We've all discussed things we like about Mr. Byrne's work here such as his tenure on Fantastic Four, his work on Superman, his drawings of Wolverine, the sheer magic and awe of BATMAN/CAPTAIN AMERICA, etc. We wouldn't be here, otherwise.

However, are there any aspects of Mr. Byrne's work that you really like, but perhaps don't get mentioned much. Have a discussion about Mr. Byrne's work and his work on Superman is bound to be mentioned at some point, given the great things he did with the character. However, what about other work he has done which is good, but perhaps doesn't get mentioned as much. Can anyone think of any? I have a few thoughts, so here's my list.

1.) Rubble. I love the way Mr. Byrne draws rubble. It's hard to put into words why, it just looks right. That's about the only way I can articulate my views on his drawings of rubber.

2.) Cities. Whenever I'm in an area where there are really tall buildings, I do look up in awe. And I think Mr. Byrne's drawings of cities and skyscrapers is awe-inspiring. There's a sense of wonder about it. Look at a picture of Spider-Man swinging between the rooftops which is drawn by Mr. Byrne and you'll no doubt enjoy it, but I find myself enjoying his buildings, too.

3.) Namor. What's not to love about the cover of NAMOR THE SUB-MARINER #1. It's as though the cover is saying, "Hey, this is an exciting character, jump on board and join in the action." Covers aside, I really liked the storylines that Mr. Byrne did with Namor - I felt he used the character to his full potential and showcased exactly how interesting Namor could be.

4.) Superman's altruism. I love SUPERMAN: THE MAN OF STEEL and the Superman stories that followed. You know, at times the altruism of the character has spoken to me on a personal level. George Reeves' Superman spoke to me on that level as did Christopher Reeve's performance. I felt that way about the live-action SUPERBOY series, too. In the comics, though, I felt that in addition to showcasing Superman's great powers, Mr. Byrne showcased the altruism and integrity in the character. As I said here once, in early 2007 I suffered heartbreak and although heartbreak needs time to heal, I did re-read Mr. Byrne's Superman tales at the time and the altruism of the character spoke to me and reminded me that, whatever issues and problems I had in my life, there were people in the world besides me who may sometimes need a shoulder to cry on or support/help in their lives.

5.) THE UNTOLD LEGEND OF THE BATMAN. This is wonderful work by Mr. Byrne, very underrated, in my opinion.

Please feel free to comment on my list, but if you have any of your own thoughts, it'd be nice to read them

Back to Top profile | search

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

All the things you mentioned, Robbie, and also:

Perfectly timed hits when needed for dramatic impact. Tow of my strongest memories of my early comics reading involved one person striking another, but in two very different ways.

Tommy Hanson's mother slapping the Human Torch and Doc Samson punching out the Hulk. I had read a few comics before, but those two moments might have been the glue that stuck me to comics for a long, long time. That was powerful stuff and both scenes were brialliantly executed.

Edited by Aaron Smith on 01 April 2011 at 6:44pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 3  

Consistency.

You get it in that he has a handle on drawing good anatomy.  And he stays on model so the characters look is consistent from issue to issue.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

Anatomy. The guy knows how a body works. His characters have weight and gravity.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Phil Frances
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

Character.

Everything JB draws captures the root essence of his subject - each hero or villain is true to their 'real' comic history - simply brilliant ....

Edited by Phil Frances on 01 April 2011 at 8:43pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 8:47pm | IP Logged | 6  

His writing. It's ridiculous to me that Byrne is not constantly mentioned as a
writer in the same breath as such "geniuses" as Moore, Millar, Bendis,
Gaiman, et al. Here is a writer who so instinctively gets every single book he
writes that his runs become, if not definitive, then a "return to form".

I'd be interested to hear opinions about what other writer besides Stan
himself have had so many definitive runs?

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 7  

I've always appreciated the way JB wrote and portrayed strong female characters.  Was somewhat dumbfounded to discover that there seems to be some knuckle-headed ideas floating around that he "hates women" and loves "torturing" them in his stories.  I don't recall the treatment of his heroines ever being any worse or better than their male counterparts.

As someone who grew up living with his mother, sister, grandmother (and later an adopted sister and a baby sister), plus surrounded by plenty of aunts, believe me, JB's strong portrayal of women did not go unnoticed to this reader!

Anthony Dean Kotorac
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 8  

The ethnicity of the characters JB draws. I find a lot of the newer artists today seem to use 'stock' faces and sometimes the only difference is how the skin is coloured!

And on the same page the varied expressions of the characters regardless of ethnicity

Joe Alexander
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 9:24pm | IP Logged | 9  

Though I'd agree with everyone, I thought the same thing as Mark. JB has done some of the greatest runs in comics. I feel that he really is not fairly considered as a writer, maybe because of the strength of his abilities as an artist. Some folks tend to think of writer/artists as "artists who can write well enough." I think JB is a great writer and artist. His competition for a mythical Mt. Rushmore of comic greats would not be any individuals, but TEAMS. Alan Moore/Dave Gibbons, Lee/Kirby/Sinnott, Millar/whoever, etc.

Not trying to flatter the host here, seriously believe JB is a unique person in the industry's history. His creativity and work ethic have produced volumes of great work. In my opinion, only King Kirby himself should even be compared.

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 10  

Monsters.
I'm in the middle of JB's Blood of the Demon and all the monsters look fantastic. I started thinking this was unusual to see so many good looking creatures. Thinking about it further JB has always drawn monsters that looked cool.  There were some nice monster designs in X-men, Alpha Flight, Fantastic Four, etc.

Craig Howrie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 April 2011 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 11  

His writing.

His tenure on Iron Man (in particular, paired with John Romita Jr). Moments with Susan Richards (the scene that immediatly springs to mind is a scene, post-miscarrage, where Sue is relegated to the sidelines and vents her frustrations by lashing out with a particularly destructive force field), Northstar's aloof defense mechanisms. Bethany.  Post issue 300 Avengers (which, IMO, should have propelled a multi-year run).  The Enemy Ace short story. 

So much goodness!

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 April 2011 at 5:04am | IP Logged | 12  

I'll add the way he draws hands, feet, civilian clothing and hairstyles to
the list.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version