Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: How Would You Have Brought Back Gwen Stacy? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 1  

Here are a few possibilities:

1) Resurrection. Have Spidey call in a solid from Doctor Strange and have Doc bring her back - an Undead Gwen!

2) Good ol' Time Travel -- use Dr Doom's time machine to go back in time and prevent that little incident at the Bridge.

3) Tweak the clone story -- make it the clone that was killed, not the real Gwen (who had been imprisoned or hypnotized all this time by the Jackal).

4) A tweak to item 1)  - transplant Gwen soul to another body. Doc Strange cant resurrect Gwen's body, but (for some reason) her soul is stuck in limbo. All Doc can do is transplant her soul into a woman who jsut died (kind of like Heaven Can Wait).

5) The DALLAS solution - everything from Amazing Spider-man #100-121 was a dream -- induced by that nutty formula Peter took in ASM #100 to get rid of his spider powers. The only catch is when he wakes up -- he still has six arms!

Back to Top profile | search

Brandon Carter
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 2  

Besides that letter column, I've also read in at least one interview  (most likely with Gerry Conway) that Stan asked for Gwen Stacy to be brought back.  I think it may have been in Back Issue Magazine #44, which was a Spider-Man focused issue.  The book Comics Creators on Spider-Man I think also had similar information.  I don't have either of them in front of me now but I seem to remember that Conway said that Stan had encountered fans asking for the return of Gwen Stacy while he was speaking at colleges.  He asked the creative team to bring her back.  It didn't have to be permanent.  They could bring her back and then immeditely get rid of her again as long as they brought her back. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 3  

The pertinent page from Back Issue 44 that Brandon mentions concerning Conway and Lee:

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 4  

Matt "the scanner guy" Reed, ladies and gentlemen.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 5  

Setting aside, for a moment, the fact that Gwen's death has caused much damage to the Spider-mythos (primarily because fans can't let go, and writers won't stop milking it), I think leaving her dead was the right thing to do.

While I think that story is an all-time great, and reinforces several of the core elements of Spider-Man's character, perhaps another tactic should have been taken, like phasing Gwen out without killing her.

Conway and company had the right idea--Mary Jane was a more compelling love interest for Peter, and the Peter/Gwen relationship had become so locked in (and had become rather cyclical, with one faux-drama stunt after another; the death of her father, break-ups/reunions, etc.), it would eventually have to lead to marriage--something that wouldn't be good for Spider-Man.

So, they had to kill her, phase her out, or have them get married. As it happened, killing Gwen did indeed give the book the shot in the arm Marvel was hoping for. The short-term effects were good. The long-term effects (when the archaeologists took over)...not so good.

While some have said that Conway needlessly dredged up Gwen's death with the clone storyline, I think it was a really clever way of messing with the readers (and Spider-Man), and telling an epic tale. The very notion of the Jackal using Gwen's clone as a psychological weapon against Parker (and the readers) was very gutsy.

And, of course, the whole point of the story was to show that Peter had moved on, and by the end, he consummates his relationship with Mary Jane.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 22 March 2011 at 11:01am

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 6  

The Jackel saved her life and used her as a source for his cloning subject.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 7  

Brian Miller wrote:
Matt "the scanner guy" Reed, ladies and gentlemen.

If it's about Spider-Man, my all-time favorite character, I probably have it somewhere in some fashion and easily accessible!

Mike Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 8  

While I don't like the idea that Gwen died, I think she should stay that way. However if I had to bring her back, I would say that she never died at all. A decoy was switched and the real Gwen was spirited away by some unknown benefactor. She survived the fall,but her neck is broken. She is bitter, angry and hates Spider-Man and becomes the new Spider-Slayer. Peter is guilt-ridden and tries to keep close to her but the chasm between them grows. Somewhere,somehow a heroic sacrifice is made and Gwen saves Peter from an army of Slayers. She redeems herself and dies, never to be mentioned again.

Mike Purdy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 9  

And not a clone in sight.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 11:54am | IP Logged | 10  

I would have Peter wake up, hear water running in the bathroom, walk in and open the shower door and there is Gwen taking a shower. ;0)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 11  

ASM #144 was my first ever!!!

I remember seeing Spider-Man's dynamic pose, the fear on his mask (!) and in his statement, and was hooked!

I got it home, read it, and was REALLY hooked!

That first clone saga was AWESOME. The end result for me was so much sympathy for Peter, yes, but, mostly for GWEN-clone.

How would I have brought her back?

Simple.

She WAS back, as a clone. A miracle created by a madman, which, through the magic of the beautiful love that Peter and Gwen shared, lived on via DNA, and they lived happily ever after!

Well, at least until MJ showed up. (LOL)

Jeez, that sounds so...Claremont-ian.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 March 2011 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

I would have used a device retrofitted into a story previous to her death
where Gwen was near some battle between Spidey and a bad-guy. I would
have shown a previously unseen bit where Gwen was exposed to something
in the fight that would have predisposed her to "get better" from a broken
neck.

Then I would have her "get better".

It ain't great, except that experience shows that the less you make of