Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Animation Cels (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

I had posted in a movie thread about the movie Snow White and how beautiful it was. It got me wondering if there are any animation cels from that movie still out there or did they get destroyed. But it also got me thinking about other movie/ TV animation cels and maybe some on the forum collect those. I have a few Ghostbuster Cartoon cels, a ton of the TMNT cels and one Flintstones cel.

Does anyone else collect animation cels?

What one would you love to own?

They can be from TV or movies, just as long as it's an animation cel.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 15 March 2011 at 12:56pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Cross
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 2  

I have a Spider-Man from the early 90s cartoon, but as it came in a bagged comic, i would dare say it's not a "legit" cel
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Chris Cottrill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 3  

@Jodi
Disney probably still has every animation cel they ever
produced.I don't think they get rid of stuff like that.
I think they sell repro cels at their park in Florida though.

If I ever come across any I'll keep you in mind.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

Cels were treated as a by-product of the creative process for quite a while.  As a cost-cutting measure, it wasn't uncommon for studios to wipe cels clean and reuse them, and some studios disposed of art by the dumpster-load since cels and backgrounds and other production art piled up so quickly.

Disney definitely has a big archive, but they weren't as meticulous about saving every last piece of art in their early years.  I'd be surprised if they had much of an archive pre-Jungle Book, really.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

I have this Snow White display which is about 3' long. It was thrown in when we bought the entire line of Snow White pieces from the Walt Disney Classics Collection. Although it is not an actual cel, it was hand painted.

Aside from my favorite Disney movie Hercules, something from Pinocchio would be nice. The cast of characters from that movie is fantastic-Pinocchio, Jiminy, Gideon, Figaro, Foulfellow, Stromboli, Lampwick, Monstro and the Blue Fairy.

Back to Top profile | search

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 6  

I bought a ton of the TMNT cels from Target when Jon was a little guy. I couldn't believe they had them there,they were marked down to under 2 dollars. They had so many of them. I even went to another Target in a town close by and bought a couple there too.  I made sure I had nice ones of the main characters.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 15 March 2011 at 2:07pm

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 7  

Craig that is really nice.
 One year I went to Disney and stayed at the Boardwalk and we bought a package deal, it included a class on how to paint animation cels. I jumped all over that. We did a Mickey cel, ( that sadly I never finished). The class was more about the history of making animation cels then actually making the cels, which sort of disappointed me. I liked getting the background info on it and touring the animation studio part, but it just didn't give enough actual hands on time.

Andrew I had heard the same thing, but it was about Warner Bros, I heard that a janitor had taken a bunch of cels from the trash and was giving them out for Halloween treats. Dang my brain can't even get wrapped around that.

We just got back from Tenn. visiting family and my niece is good friends with a girl whose father came up with the character Lilo and several other characters and for his daughters slumber party, had done drawings as party favors. My niece has one on her bedroom wall. I was so jealous. 

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 15 March 2011 at 2:07pm

Michael Andrew Gonoude
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 4:06pm | IP Logged | 8  

I don't collect them, but I was given one by my sister a few years ago, for Christmas.  It's from Batman: the Animated Series, and features him in hot pursuit of the Catwoman, who is waiting on a rooftop to ambush him.  I hung it facing my front door, so it's the first thing people see upon entering my apartment.  It's nicely matted and framed, from the Warner Brothers store.
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 9  

I was given some He-Man animation cells as a gift a few years ago.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 10  

I believe there are a lot of false cells out there, for example they made Little Mermaid cells but it was on computers partly so there were no real cells, so they made a few cells anyway. Then it's no fun. I believe I have seen a real Steamboat Willie cell, it's at a museum here, I can take a picture of it when I get there.

Jeff Sharpe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 11  

From the 1960's Spider-Man cartoon:

Paul W. Sondersted, Jr.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2011 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 12  

Oh! Oh! Oh! (my impression of Arnold Horshack)
This is a perfect opportunity to espouse about my own little foray into the realm of animation (as brief as it turned out to be, unfortunately)...

When I attended high school in California in the early 80's (Rowland High in the town of Rowland Heights...go figure), my favorite class to attend was Animation. The first couple of years were rather forgettable, but then during my junior year a new animation teacher arrived. His name was (and still is, believe it or else!) Dave Master & he brought with him a wealth of knowledge about the animation industry.
He inspired many to use their talents to create their own short films. Some even won awards at student film festivals.
Anyway, Mr. Master had contacts with many in the animation industry & on several occasions several of the classes more promising students were given tours of some of the animation studios in southern California. We visited Hanna-Barbera Studios, Ruby-Spears, Disney.
Even though I am a Disney fan through-and-through, the most memorable tour for me was when we visited Marvel Studios. There we met some very talented animators & even watched one gentlemen working on drawings for the Dungeons & Dragons animated TV show. The topper, though, was meeting with...you guessed it...Stan Lee! The sneaky guy that I am, I anticipated this meeting & brought with me the first issue of Silver Surfer (the John Buscema version) & Mr. Lee was kind enough to autograph it for me! Coolness!

I worked on a couple of student films, my own were forgettable, but when I assisted on a couple of others, they were fun to watch.

Mr. Master was also responsible for getting me my one & only professional paying job in animation as (and to keep it on topic) an animation cel painter. The short educational film can be viewed here (is a little over 15 minutes in length short?). Watch for my name in the end credits!

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v288664AGAhrtsw

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version