Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: The Best Of Daredevil (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 4:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

I like the very early stuff and Frank Miller's run.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brandon Scott Berthelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

One run I really enjoyed and has been mostly forgotten was Karl Kesels run in 1996.  After the horrible storyline with Matt faking his death and wearing the razor costume Kesel came in, brought Matt Murdock his life back in just a few panels (then never brought it up again), gave him and Foggy a new firm and boss, and brought the fun back.  Kesel even had a plan to make Matt mayor of New York, probably a bad idea but who knows (better than Matt as leader of the Hand at least).
Back to Top profile | search

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 3  

I have fond memories of the Gene Colan run.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 4  

Tried DD off and on thru the 60s/70s without any luck.

Picked up the first Miller issue on recommendation of the owner of the comic shop I went to ("Watch out for this guy!"), and dropped it soon after Miller left.

Got the Miller/Mazzucchelli issues.

Glanced in every now and then, never interested.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 5  

Glad I wasn't the first to mention the Romita Jr. issues!  I'm slowly filling in the holes in that run for myself to re-read in its entirety. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 6  

I liked the Gene Colan /Tom Palmer issues the best.

Edited by Brennan Voboril on 26 January 2011 at 5:55pm

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 7  

I really need to read some classic Daredevil stuff, especially as a big fan of Gene Colan. I've always liked the idea of him in his more adventurous, pre-Miller days, but honestly I came in on the Miller stuff so it's about all I've ever known. Love the run in spite of the damage I can now see it wrought and I've got a love/hate with the Bendis/Maleev run.

Barring pricey back issues and Marvel Masterworks, I guess the best way to get some of the Colan-era stuff would be the Essentials, right? Normally I miss the color on those, but I bet his art looks pretty snazzy in black and white.

Tim Farnsworth
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 6:04pm | IP Logged | 8  

By the by, I love the idea of Daredevil taking on Namor. It's hard for me to imagine how Daredevil could possibly match him, even given that Namor was probably a lot less "uber" in those days, but as discussed in another thread, that was an era with a lot more focus on clever uses of powers. That gives Daredevil some leeway!

Trevor Giberson
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

Tim, mail order back issues in VG condition are cheap.  That's how I do it.  I don't really care about $ value or consider myself a collector so it works for me.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 7:27pm | IP Logged | 10  

Daredevil #7 is brilliant.  I first read it in The Very Best of Marvel Comics trade paperback, and it's a great story.  Daredevil is hopelessly outmatched, but he refuses to let that stop him.  One of those really definitive Marvel Universe battles.

The Ann Nocenti/John Romita Jr./Al Williamson run is one of my favorite in comics, period.  It still holds up 20 (really?) years later.  Buy the individual issues instead of the miscellaneous trades if you can, since the color and linework was made for gritty newsprint.

Daredevil's had some really killer creative teams over the years--Gerber & Colan, Miller & Janson, Miller and Mazzuchelli, Nocenti & Weeks, Miller and Romita Jr., Kesel & Nord, Kelly & Colan, Bendis & Maleev, Quesada & Palmiotti's art on the Kevin Smith run...lots of great stuff.  I'm sorry that Rick Leonardi never got to do more than a handful of fill-in issues on the character back in the '80s.  If he'd taken the reins from JR Jr. back in 1990, I think the book would have remained one of my favorites after Romita left.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Mike O'Brien
Byrne Robotics Member
Official JB Historian

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 11  

JB did the following:

138 - Marv Wolfman writing, Jim Mooney inking
200, 201, 203, 223 - covers.

JB drew DD a number of other times - at least three major appearances in FF (while they were in the Negative Zone, briefly against Galactus and in the last part of the Hate Monger story), as well as the DD 138 cross over issue of Ghost Rider (#20), an issue of What Th'?, and a few other places.

Now - for my money - DD has one long run - start with the Miller issues, skipping the first one (which just ends the previous storyline) and then go all the way to the end of the Ann Nocenti run - So, starting with 159 and ending with 291 - all in all, taken as one long read, it tells a pretty awesome and consistant story. In between Miller and Nocenti you get a run by Denny O'Neil (with a Harlen Ellison story in the middle) and then after Miller's brief return, there are revolving series of writers and artists, including Steve Ditko, Barry Windsor-Smith, Keith Giffen, Rick Leonardi, (and ugh, Todd McFarlane, though it has a Mike Zeck cover) before John Romita Jr settles in for a long run with Nocenti. Romita leaves and the last issues of Nocenti's run are filled out by Kieron Dwyer and Lee Weeks and it's pretty amazing stuff. By the time you get to the last Nocenti issue, the whole 150 issues you've read come full circle. It's pretty great.

Trevor Giberson
Byrne Robotics Chronology

Posted: 26 January 2011 at 7:48pm | IP Logged | 12  

This is helpful - from a big Daredevil fansite:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/ddRECOMMENDED.shtml

QUOTE:
If you are a long-time Daredevil reader

Let's say you've read Daredevil for a while, but you've missed a few gems.

Some suggestions for you:

• #-1 one of the best Joe Kelly issues with Gene Colan to boot!
  • #47 Brother, Take My Hand
  • #53-71 Roy Thomas and Gene Colan hit their stride.
  • #80-81 "Death is a Black Widow", which introduces BW to the DD canon, and is an excellent two-part story
  • #113-115 Gerber, Man Thing, Death Stalker and the late, great Bob Brown.
  • #139 A Night In The Life - Street level DD years before Miller.
  • #146 - The classic Bullseye/Daredevil fight in the TV station. (Milla recently mentioned this one in #48-vol.2!) You better have this by now.
  • #148 Manhunt - Death Stalker again. Shooter/Kane.
  • #196-200 Great issues with Bullseye and DD in Japan!
  • #205 The Gael - Denny O'Neil at his best
  • #208 The Deadilest Night of My Life
  • #215 Prophecy
  • #219 "Badlands", an excellent Miller/Buscema one-shot
  • #220 Fog - Truly shocking for the long time DD fan
  • #223 DD vs. the Beyonder
  • #225-226 Here we see the beginning of Matt's deterioration before Born Again, his partnership with Foggy, his love life, his mind. This is the beginning of his descent, these 2 issues still grab me to this day.
  • #236 The first Ann Nocenti issue with the great artwork of Barry Windsor Smith. We see the fallout after Nuke's attack on Hell's Kitchen. A very under-rated issue.
  • #252 Ground Zero
  • #258 I heard the jungle breath
  • #266 "A beer with the devil" one of Ann Nocenti's best showing more of her great knack for telling stories about morality. Mephisto taunts DD!
  • #267-268 Some more great stories with Ann's take on morality. DD at one of the lower points of his life in these issues.
  • #278-282 Daredevil goes to hell to face Mephisto. More great stuff by Ann Nocenti. Morality, politics, theology, she always had some message to get across in her stories, I think that's why I loved them so much.
  • #284-291 The wrap up to Ann's run, DD loses his memory, Bullseye becomes DD, Matt becomes a boxer like his Dad, DD and Bullseye have a fantastic battle and Matt reunties with Foggy again. I love these issues.
  • #344-350
  • Daredevil/Deadpool '97
  • Back to Top profile | search

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
      Post ReplyPost New Topic
    Printable version Printable version