Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 254 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 September 2013 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

GROWING UP WITH LUCY: HOW TO BUILD AN ANDROID

A compelling account by Steve Grand (not a scientist) who is attempting to create artificial life (an android he calls Lucy). Not the most scientifically-minded person, so I am taking some passages slowly, but very interesting and teaching me a thing or two. Highly recommended by yours truly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Growing-Lucy-Build-Android-Twenty/dp /0753818051
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2013 at 5:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING

When I was in my teens and early twenties I made a habit of reading THE LORD OF THE RINGS every years, each time starting a few days before September 22nd, which is when the book starts.

It's been quite a while since I last read the books, after seeing the first movie in the theater when it was in original release, but I found myself in the mood again, so. . .

Once again I am reminded of what a very good wordsmith Tolkien was. This guy could sling a sentence! It is also quite fascinating to watch the storytelling "grow". It begins very lightheartedly, much in the style of THE HOBBIT (which was, after all, a kid's book), and grows steadily "darker" as we go. Not quite 100 pages in, just now, but already reminded of the many, many reasons I loathe the Peter Jackson "interpretation" -- tho, credit where credit is due, his Black Riders were magnificent!

Reading THE LORD OF THE RINGS is one of those experiences that is very, very comfortable for me, like spending time with old and valued friends. I reckon this will make something like the 15th time I have read it, and there are long passages I am virtually doing in my head as I go, more than actually reading.

(I've a longtime friend who is very dismissive of the books. Refuses to read them. Thinks they are stupid and that anyone who would even look at them must have a screw loose somewhere. Whenever he gets off on one of his minirants I ask him what issue of JUSTICE LEAGUE Kanjar Ro first appeared in. He names the issue without a blink, as he could about any other piece of DC Comics "lore". For some reason, he never seems to get my point.)

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2013 at 9:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Lexicon" by Max Barry

A world-wide secret organization that trains people to influence others simply through words finds a word that can make people do whatever you want, and only one of their former operatives, or "poets," can stop them.

Ironically (given that the book itself is about how evocative words can be) fairly straight-forward and simple narrative, and totally lacks descriptive passages. Fun for what it is, but could have been oh so much more in different hands.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

On a whim, I got "The Woman in White" by Wilkie Collins and am finding it very accessible and rather fun.  I was afraid it would be a mystery derailed by tangents and overly descriptive, Victorian prose but it's pretty straightforward.  
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 September 2013 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Currently reading the English translation of Jo Nesbo's THE BAT.  It's a detective series set in Norway.  I've read several others in the series and I've enjoyed them.  This is the first in the series that just arrived at the library. 

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Just started "The Crisis of The Old Order, The age of Roosevelt"

By Arthur Schlesinger

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2013 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

ONE SUMMER: AMERICA, 1927
by Bill Bryson.

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2013 at 2:13am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I read "The Spook" up to the 9th book, and am currently reading "the end of Eternity" by Asimov.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2013 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Finished  "The Crisis of The Old Order, The age of Roosevelt"

By Arthur Schlesinger
 "After a Prologue of Inauguration Day in 1933, Schlesinger takes the reader back to the Age of Wilson as the world tried to emerge from the horror of World War I. Following that, he follows the nation into the Age of Normalcy presided over by Harding and Coolidge."

Took a little to finish, now that Chuck is gone, I have to do all the yard work and work 40 hours on top of all I used to be responsible for, so reading has taken a back seat. :0(

Enjoyed this book a great deal, it read more like a novel instead of a school text book, as some history books can be. FDR was such a powerful historical figure, the prologue hooked me, it showed FDR's ability to overcome his disabilities and lead a broken nation. When he was inaugurated, this man who was paralyzed from polio, "walked" with the help of his son, to the lectern to give one of the most powerful speeches in history. I googled the speech on my ipad and watched it after reading the passage on it, very powerful.     

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 20 October 2013 at 9:45am

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2013 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm currently working my way thru Donald Westlake's Parker novels (almost finished with Parker 3: "The Outfit"), and just heard that IDW is reissuing these as deluxe hardcovers!

Not surprisingly, they will also be illustrated by Darwyn Cooke, who has been adapting the books for IDW as long-format comics, or "graphic novels" as the kids say nowadays. 

Really looking forward to these!

Robert Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2013 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I'm reading William Shatner & Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens Star Trek: Preserver.  Its the last of the Mirror Mirror Universe Trilogy in this novel.  One thing this novel does well the others don't.  The authors acknowledge the aging of the characters.  The new novels don't address that.  It has the traditional original series action with plenty of twists and turns in the plot to make it a compelling reading experience.  You can still purchase them on Amazon.  The trilogy is as follows if you like Star Trek Books:

ST: Spectre
ST: Dark Victory
ST: Preserver 

It's only three of the ten Captain Kirk books.  However they are worth a look.  This is the second time I've read them in about twelve years.  

Edited by Robert Lloyd on 20 October 2013 at 10:57am

Robert Lloyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2013 at 11:01am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have to agree. I love the use of language in the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  I've read it once when the first movie was released.  However after that first reading I wanted to read it once more.  The author's use of language and the poetic quality in his work is amazing. 

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version