Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 254 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2013 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"The Nerdist Way" by Chris Hardwick and "You'll Be Perfect When You're Dead" by Dan Harmon (collected online writings and essays).
Back to Top profile | search

Thad Studebaker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2013 at 8:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"World War Z" has been an interesting take on the zombie apocalypse genre.  The horror that has been generated in the first one-third is of a different nature than the genre typically creates.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 February 2013 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

90) "The Time Machine" by H G Wells, as read by Roger May

A man from Victorian England goes to the year 802,701 AD in a time machine of his own construction, where he encounters a peaceful race of humans and a strange race of underground creatures.

After I read Wells' "War of the Worlds" many people recommended this one as well; and since I am looking to see what all this steam-punk thing is about, decided to continue with the classics. Fun book; I like Wells' continued technique of leaving his characters unnamed, and appreciate him having his characters realize their broad suppositions could very well be wrong.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 5:22am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

AMERICAN LION, by Jon Meacham

Biography of Andrew Jackson, our 9th President.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

2030 by Albert Brooks. A surprisingly serious and kind of depressing look at the near-future, particularly if you live in California.

••

Draw solace, perhaps, from the fact that in all the long history of speculative writing (fiction or otherwise), no one has ever accurately predicted the future.

Matthew Chartrand
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

MACHINE MAN by Max Barry. A novel about a mechanical engineer who losses a leg in an industrial accident and is dissatisfied with his prosthetic so designs a new one and likes it so much starts replacing other body parts.

THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPT by Robert B. Parker. The first of the Spenser mystery series.

THE HIGH KING OF MONTIVAL by S.M. Sterling. Book four of a series of post apocalyptic novels. 

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2013 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

91) "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn

Thriller about a wife who has disappeared under mysterious circumstances, told in alternating first-person chapters from the point of view of the husband (who is the main suspect) after the event and the wife (thru her previously-written diary) leading up to the disappearance.

Tricky story, with a red herrings, and ironies in that we see a situation from alternating points of view that disagree; but ultimately I felt no sympathy for either character. A lot of reviews compared this with Hitchcock, but he was the master of building sympathy for characters under tense situations, which just didn't pan out here.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Started reading MASTERPIECES: The Best Science Fiction of the Twentieth Century.

First up on the list is: Call Me Joe by Poul Anderson

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

92) "Artemis Fowl 6: The Time Paradox" by Eoin Cowlfer, read by Enn Reitel

To save his mother from the extremely rare and fatal disease spelltropy, Artemis, with the aid of all of the usual characters, goes back in time to capture an extinct lemur from himself.

Nothing surprising here, tho there are some cute time paradoxes that are at least mentioned. The best thing is the voice artist (taking over for Nathaniel Parker), who not only is able to mimic the previous voicer (who did a half dozen different Irish accents in character) but two different versions of Artemis Fowl talking with each other so that you can tell who is saying what.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2013 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

"The Baseball Trust: A History of Baseball's Antitrust Exemption" by Stuart Banner (2013, Oxford University Press)

All of my co-workers look at me like I'm out of my mind.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 March 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Just finished PUBLIC ENEMIES and started THE SEARCHERS: THE MAKING OF AN AMERICAN LEGEND by Glenn Frankel.  Just published in February, it tells two stories: about the making of the film itself and about the tragic real-life incident that inspired the novel on which the film was based.  It got great reviews, so I'm really looking forward to getting deeper into the book. 

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 March 2013 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

HE SEARCHERS: THE MAKING OF AN AMERICAN LEGEND by Glenn Frankel.  Just published in February, it tells two stories: about the making of the film itself and about the tragic real-life incident that inspired the novel on which the film was based.

That sounds interesting. I'd love to read more about the making of one of my favorite films.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version