Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 June 2013 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

ARCHIE 100 PAGE COMICS DIGEST
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2013 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"Candide" by Voltaire, read by Jack Davenport

Candide is cast out and must make his way in life, having been taught that "All is for the best in the best of all possible worlds," but finds that there is much that is wretched, unjust, and painful; along the way he meets up with a series of coincidences that would be a perfect fit in any Dan Brown novel, but here used for comic effect.

I recently read a book that billed itself as inspired by Candide, so I decided to read the original. (I should have started with this one and not read the other.) This is seriously laugh-out-loud funny. Wish I had read it in high school. The voice the reader used for Candide reminded me of a young Michael Palin, so that's who I imagined throughout, which was perfect.

Carmen Bernardo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 5:03am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Compact History Of The Civil War by R. Ernest and Trevor N. Dupuy.

Although it's a bit dated (first edition published in 1960), it's been a good way to get acquainted with the events of the war between the states. I picked this one up in a small souvenir shop at Gettysburg next to Cemetery Hill, a bargain at $7.00 USD.

So far, it's been a good quick read. It doesn't dwell too much on extraneous events, being focused primarily on the events which took place during the war itself and giving just enough information as to why it was being fought, and there are decent hand-drawn maps reproducing the major theatres and movements of the great battles fought therein.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Just finished RIVERS IN THE DESERT: WILLIAM MULHOLLAND AND THE INVENTING OF LOS ANGELES (1993) by Margaret Leslie Davis.  An excellent book for anyone looking to find out more about the rise and fall of Mulholland and how he was instrumental in turning LA from a small town into the metropolis it is today. I believe it's out of print, but available from Amazon in hard cover for cheaper than you could buy a new paperback.

Now I'm onto HELL IS EMPTY by Craig Johnson, another entry in the Walt Longmire series of books.  Always entertaining and a good way to take a break in-between works of nonfiction. 

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2013 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

"You" by Austin Grossman

An ex-computer geek gets a job at a computer game company run by two of his closest friends from high school, and finds a bug that runs thru all of their games, and which might ruin their company.

Given his last (and first) book "Soon I Will Be Invincible" I was really expecting this book to be filled with geekiness, but have a solid core of storytelling behind it; which turned out not to be the case. This is basically about the underlying story of action-oriented computer games, and viewing it thru the lens of growing up with early D&D and Commodore computers, which just isn't enough to fill out this book.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2013 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Started THE SELFISH GENE, Professor Richard Dawkins' first book, published in 1976.

Professor Dawkins' writing can be esoteric (has he made up some words?), but worth the time, I think. He has enhanced my appreciation of the natural world.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2013 at 10:46am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Robbie -

He made up the word "meme" in that book, which has since made it into the public lexicon; so, yes, he has!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2013 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thanks. Seem to be a few who do it. :)

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 29 July 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

THE MAP OF TIME by Felix J Palma.  Too soon into the book to know if I really like the story, but I'm enjoying the style.  After reading the rather turgidly written NORTH & SOUTH trilogy, a book with some panache is a nice change of pace.  Since the book is a translation from Spanish, I'm not sure if the author or the translator deserves the credit.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2013 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

TITAN, biography of John D. Rockefeller.

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Thom - 

Just read "Map of Time" a few books ago. As if you didn't know, it plays out more like three really interconnected books than one long book; which is interesting, but several of the plot devices didn't ultimately work for me.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2013 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I have a Kindle, but I'm buying more and more paper books now.

My main movitation for buying the Kindle in 2011 was lack of space for more actual books (shelves were full!). Have read a lot and given a lot away since then, plus I am enjoying reading certain books and holding them in my hands.

Also, call me crazy, but there is something satisfying about putting a bookmark in a real book at the end of the night and looking at the book, noticing that, well, you've got through quite a few pages. The "percentage bar" on the Kindle eBooks isn't the same.

Finished THE SELFISH GENE. About to start Dan Brown's INFERNO.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 30 July 2013 at 10:32am

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version