Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2019 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Donald E. Westlake’s MONEY FOR NOTHING
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 October 2019 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Hard to find new research on professional sports (other than baseball) during WWI, but I found this gem the other day.

Back to Top profile | search | www

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 5:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Now starting the fourth novel in Walter Mosley's ongoing mystery series. I am still on the fence as to whether I am going to keep following it or move on to one of his newer series.
Back to Top profile | search

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 December 2019 at 10:10pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So this year I decided to challenge myself to read more. I set a goal of 24 books. Doable, but more than I have read in a year in a long time. Quickly, my goal turned into an addiction. I just finished my 68th book of 2019. I won't bore you with the entire list, but I'm feeling pretty accomplished and wanted to share with someone. So, in reverse order, here is what I have finished in the last month or so...

Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris - Ever since an ex introduced me to Six to Eight Black Men, that story has become an annual read. This is the first time i have enjoyed the book in its entirety. I have seen Sedaris live twice, and I can tell I will be revisiting other stories in future holidays.

Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat - As a home cook, I really walked away with a lot of techniques.  It is much more than just a cook book.  It is part memoir, but text book.  It really focuses on the four components and already I have introduced them to my own meals.  This will stay close by in the kitchen.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain - I had not read this book, or any of his work, since I was a kid. I remembered the adventures plainly.  But, as a child I certainly did not appreciate Twain's use of vocabulary. I was enthralled with the language and will make it a point to revisit more of his work in 2020.

Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid - This was an audiobook, and I believe that may be the best format. The book is an interview retrospective about a fictional band that created one of the greatest albums ever. She does an amazing job at letting everyone in the book have their own voice and perspective. The audiobook was done with a full cast, so it really added another level of reality.

A Very Scalzi Christmas by John Scalzi - I found myself reading a lot of John Scalzi this year.  I love his versatility in science fiction. I also love his humorous writings.  So this I grabbed because i wanted something festive and quirky. I wasn't disappointed. There were even stories that simply touched at the feelings as well.  I am certain I will revisit this book in future holidays.

Tough Shit... by Kevin Smith - I picked up a few memoirs this year. I enjoy hearing about what makes people tick. I have enjoyed Smith's movies over the years, so this was a nice bit of background.

You're Making Me Hate You... by Corey Taylor - So I grabbed this because Corey and I ran in the same circles back in the day, though I am not a Slipknot fan (do love Stone Sour though). Anyway, I found it an interesting outlook on life. There were stories I recognized and it was definitely written in Corey's voice. This one got my with a lot of nostalgia and a love of humor similar to Lewis Black.

Anyway, I am hoping to get one or two more reads in before the end of the year. I'm going back through the thread for a bit of inspiration.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 December 2019 at 1:31am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Currently working my way through this historical thriller from 1998. I read Robert Harris' 2007 thriller THE GHOST last year and really enjoyed it. If this one turns out well (and it is off to a good start) I may sample some of his earlier works such as FATHERLAND (1992) and ENIGMA (1995)... By the way, is there someone on the JBF who can either fix the search mechanism or pin this topic so that we can access it regularly? 

Edited by James Best on 19 December 2019 at 9:29am

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 January 2020 at 4:57am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Started this.
Done in interview style with Howard Chaykin.

That is not a dust cover, yay!

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 6:13pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Just started diving into an old (2000) thriller novel by one of my favorite writers...

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2020 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"The Last Gunfight" by Jeff Guin - the real story of the OK Corral shootout.  Part of my new year's resolution to read more non-fiction.  Guin's a brisk read and gets his facts straight.  I really enjoyed his book about Bonnie and Clyde.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2020 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Bram Stoker’s Dracula

That painfully mediocre ‘Dracula’ series on Netflix got me going.....

Yeah, the book is better.

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2020 at 6:47pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Becoming Superman (My Journey From Poverty to Hollywood) - J. Michael Straczynski. Mr. Straczynski was a guest at the 2019 Terrificon up in Uncasville CT, so I purchased a copy from him.
(Had a bunch of other books in front of it before I could get to reading it.)

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 January 2020 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Bram Stoker’s Dracula

That painfully mediocre ‘Dracula’ series on Netflix got me going.....

Yeah, the book is better.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
The sequel, by Ian Holt and Stoker's great grand nephew Dacre Stoker, is pretty good. But the prequel, Dracul, by Dacre Stoker and J.D. Barker is...not good at all. It works better if you think of it as an alternate universe take on things.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2020 at 3:27am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

@Brian.

Thank you!

<< Prev Page of 254 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version