Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 255 Next >>
Topic: What are you reading now? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2019 at 12:27am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Currently finishing up Kitchen Confidential: Adventures In The Culinary Underbelly, by Anthony Bourdain.

I was actually planning to read it shortly before he committed suicide, but never got started, and put it off until now. I also have his book Medium Raw to read eventually.

Up next is either Brides Of The Impaler or The Golem by Edward Lee or When The Man Comes Around by Bradley Wright. I haven't decided which or the 3 to go with yet. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2019 at 4:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Now diving into some more WWII history. I read Eric Bergerud's earlier (and excellent) book Touched By Fire: The Land War in the South Pacific several years ago when I was still on active duty. I hunted around locally for many years but finally had to purchase this "sequel" of sorts online this week so I could sample more of his work. At 670+ pages, this one is going to take a while for me to get through. Hopefully it will be worth the long wait...
Back to Top profile | search

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2019 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Starting that book now. Several authors in the field
explain their techniques, give tips and suggest
exercises accordingly.

After a Fake TV Fan Fiction novel, followed by an
autobiography, I wanted something a bit different, both
in content and the way to present it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2019 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Just finished The Fireman by Joe Hill.  I had picked this one up a while back and hung onto it because of the time investment.  Its pretty thick. Yet, it read incredibly fast. I'm very glad I got into it finally, and wished I had much sooner.

Next, I think I'm going back for a reread of Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 March 2019 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm going with When The Man Comes Around, by Bradley Wright. Read some mostly spoiler free reviews of the Edward Lee books, and they're not my cup of tea.

(One description for the book I'm going with is `Bourne meets Wick'.)

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2019 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Been going back thru Medium Raw by Anthony Bourdain.  Been years since I read it.  It is rather haunting due to his suicide but it is as the title suggests it is a raw intimate journal of self introspection.  It's almost impossible not to see the depression that took his life in this book.  And yet it so beautifully written.  It is a far better book than Kitchen Confidential which made him famous.  

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2019 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As I said, I have Medium Raw but am holding off on reading it. But what was chilling about Kitchen Confidential was that late in the book he talks about a chef who hanged himself. That's how he committed suicide.

Highly recommend the Bradley Wright book that I mentioned. It was a really great story, and I can't wait for the sequel. 

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2019 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Now sampling a new mystery writer who has racked up several award nominations over the last few years. 

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2019 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I read MEDIUM RAW a few years ago and really enjoyed it.
I have a copy of KITCHEN CONFIDENTIAL and started it but
got sidetracked.

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2019 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Next, I think I'm going back for a reread of Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore

That my friend is one of the funniest books ever written.  I have read it several times.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2019 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

My one disappointment in reading Cullen Murphy's excellent Cartoon County a year or so back was that contrary to my hope, he had little to say about one of my artistic heroes, Leonard Starr.  Recently I became aware of The Adventures of the Real Tom Sawyer by Tom Sawyer, and so ordered the book to see what he had to say about Starr.  Sawyer started out as a kid who hated high school and didn't much like his parents, but wanted to be a comic strip artist like his hero Milton Caniff.  Trying his luck in NY, he gets some work with Avon Comics (and later Ziff Davis under Jerry Siegel and Timely Comics under Stan Lee), where a chance meeting with Tex Blaisdell leads to work with Leonard Starr, who becomes a mentor and hero.  That leads to work with Johnstone Cushing doing storyboards for commercials and a stint ghosting for Al Capp.  When Sawyer leaves Johnstone Cushing, his replacement is a young artist named Neal Adams.  Wonder what became of that kid?  Sawyer is not successful selling his own strip, and increasingly doubts that he wants the life of a syndicated cartoonist.  He decamps to Hollywood, produces a softcore movie, then finds himself scripting a variety of tv shows.  Eventually he hooks onto "Murder She Wrote," writing scripts himself and supervising other writers.  Along the way, he turns out an opera/musical about JFK, "Jack."  Lots of show business stories.  There's more, but that's the gist.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2019 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Have enjoyed a few of Eggers' previous books so picked this one up. 

<< Prev Page of 255 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version