Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 20 Next >>
Topic: Bitter? Moi? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 7:56am | IP Logged | 1  

I'm bitter enough for both of us, JB.

But seriously, I totally agree with everything in JB's initial post and feel the same way.  Will sanity ever return to the comicbook industry?  At this point I figure it will take a total collapse and then a few years later someone will say, "Hey remember those comicbook things?  Whatever happened to those?  I bet kids would buy those again..."

We'll see.  Not holding my breath.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ted Pugliese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 8:07am | IP Logged | 2  

I hear you, Wayde, and I'll take it one step further, Greg.

I feel the same way about education that John feels about comics.  Heck, I feel the same way about comics too.  Furthermore, I think I am a class act; most people that I know in real life do too.  However, I have no problem calling a spade a spade when it comes to microcephalic views of education (or comics).  There is nothing unclassy about speaking up for either the truth or what you believe in.  Moreover, I submit that if Stan does feel this way, then it is rather unclassy that he doesn't speak up or out about what has happened to what was basically his company.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure he actually cares nor do I think he wants any of the negative attention that could come with such comments.

I mean, really, do you think he wants to risk upsetting Tom Brevoort?

I shudder at the thought...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 3  

Stan is on Marvel's payroll.  We'll never get Stan's true opinion on what has become of his characters because of that.  

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 4  

Are you sure Joe? I don't know Stan lee personally so I couldn't say so I
would like to think that his stated opinions are his true ones.

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 5  

Stan seems always to have understood how important it is for someone in his position to maintain a positive attitude. I have commented before about how we would never have seen Stan doing some of the kinds of "promotion" we see today, where Marvel's stooges essentially say "This was crap, but NOW we're going to show you how to do it right!" Stan's spin on that would have been more like "XXXX has been pure Marvel magic up to now, but we've found a way to make it EVEN BETTER!"

Tom French
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 6  

I feel the same way about education that John feels about comics.

With this, Ted, I completely agree!

I have a Superman tattoo on my shoulder, which has always been a point of pride with me.  A few weeks ago, someone asked me why I had it -- did I read comics?  I replied, "I used to, but Superman isn't Superman anymore."

I hated that I had to say that.

Kirk Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 7  

A few weeks ago, someone asked me why I had it -- did I read comics?  I replied, "I used to, but Superman isn't Superman anymore."

----------

Oh don't get me started on an off-topic rant!

:)

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

And so by inference, JB is ungracious and classless when he defends the characters Stan (with Jack and Steve and others) created.  He's getting reamed for defending Stan's "kids" while Stan smiles and evades pointed, legitimate questions about the industry.  I know that's not how you meant it, Greg, but that's a wee bit of a slap there.

++++++++

No, that's not at all what I meant, and I'm sorry if it came off that way.

What I meant is that Stan may dislike what been done in recent times, but he's too positive and too diplomatic to let it all hang out. I think he understands that someone of his stature and fame needs to avoid full disclosure. Otherwise, it would look like he's biting the hand that feeds, and he'd come off as, well...a bitter old man!

As it stands, he comes off as someone who's grateful that he's had such success to begin with. Unlike we readers, who are passionate fans of these characters, Stan's own relationships with them are different--perhaps even ambivalent, in some cases. As a writer in the biz for almost 70 years, he's certainly used to the idea of others coming along and taking over the writing chores.

Stan's M.O. has always been to look forward. "It's on to the next project, and we'll try to make it even better next time!" He maintains a positive attitude, always. He's the ultimate good-natured pitchman.

Taking shots at those who have butchered his creations runs counter to that. As the public face of comics, and Chairman Emeritus of Marvel, Stan isn't allowed that luxury--and he probably wouldn't do it even if he could.

It's different for we outsiders, of course--even JB, who's also a professional, but started out as a fan, like the rest of us. He's allowed to be angry--perhaps as a fan first, and a professional second, when it comes to characters he didn't create.

I'm personally just as guilty of being "bitter" like JB is. Most of us here are, I think! I think he gets the brunt of it because he's a professional who doesn't even pretend to go along with the current state of things. The current fan (and professional?) mentality does seem to boil down to, "If you're not with us, you're our enemy!".

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 14 November 2010 at 12:07pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Aaron Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't see bitterness. I see guts. The guts to stand up and say what is, unfortunately, true. An artist/writer could take the easy path and be a whore to the new way of doing comics, the modern way of doing comics, which seems to involve doing whatever one wants with the properties whether or not it's true to what the originators of the characters did, but JB's not doing that. He's speaking out against the destruction of those characters that did indeed entertain and inspire generations of kids, and I give him great credit for that.

I loved those characters when I was growing up. They inspired me, and those who wrote and drew the stories of those characters inspired me, inspired me to create stories of my own. Every time I write something now and see it published, some of my gratitude has to go to those creators and those characters that inspired me.

What's out there now to inspire the current generation of kids to create stories of heroism, honor, grandeur, and wonder? Not much. Maybe nothing, at least nothing from what used to be the two great giants of that type of storytelling: Marvel and DC. Spider-Man is gone, Batman is gone, they're all gone. I miss them.

I don't feel bad about that for myself. I can read an occasional Essentials book or a back issue for sentiment's sake, but I don't need a monthly dose anymore. I have enough things to keep me busy. But I do feel sorry for the kids. They're missing it now. They're missing out on reading about the real Captain America and the real Superman and all the others. All they get now is some B-horror movie version of Spider-Man where the Lizard eats his own kid and a Cap costume that's filled by a character whose tragic death has been wiped away and so detracts from the entire history of the character. Today's kids get to watch a Sherlock Holmes who is nothing like the one that Conan Doyle wrote about and a James T. Kirk who acts like a pompous brat and gets command of a starship handed to him after one stupid mission as a cadet and a million reboots and crossovers and publicity stunts instead of solid stories that can be enjoyed and understood by anyone who happens to be attracted by an interesting cover (not that they do interesting covers anymore anyway).  

I'm glad we have a John Byrne who's willing to express his anger at what's been done to the things that dreams used to be inspired by. The world needs more people who are willing to do that.

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 10  

JB I look at you as a person who is one of the most talented artists I have ever seen. You are as important in my mind as VanGogh or Monet, comic book art is on the same level to me, as the the great paintings of the world.  But the internet is not your friend.

There are ways to express what has happened to the comic industry, but to post such hateful generalizations does nothing for you.  Do you realize in some of your posts you have condemned all of those at Marvel as the worst possible way and as a mom of one of those "self masturbating fanboys", I assure you, you could not be farther from the truth. There are those in the industry that love comics, just as much as you do and they love the industry just as much as you do, believe me I raised one of them and you are one of his heroes.

Marvel changed when they allowed comics to only to be carried in comic book stores. Titles where the characters were less than heroic sold better than those that didn't, Marvel made what sold. Because they are a business. But did they go under because of this? no they diversified and are now in Video games and Movies, and they do amazing with that.

If you want to be mad at someone , be pissed at those that used their money to steer what direction the print division goes. Instead of encouraging those that love comics to not buy anything, encourage them to support the titles that have stayed true to the characters morals. I did by not buying the "Archie gets political" issue, I don't want Sarah Palin or any politician in Archie's world. I don't want Archie to get married, I will not buy anything that has Archie being in any way other than an innocent romantically  torn high schooler, that has friends that dress well and are silly.

I believe part of the reason print comics aren't selling as well, is because print is dying, magazines and newspapers every where, are boarding up their doors. We are becoming an on line world. Marvel's on line comics are something that seem to be doing really well. I just had a friend tell me they got the marvel app on their iphone and they love it.

JB this may get removed or I may get banned because of this post. I am not posting this to "slam Byrne"  Over the entire time I have been on this forum I see the amazing things you do, not only professionally but personally too. But threads like these, should NEVER see the light of day. If you want to bitch at the idiots in charge, hell get a lunch together with friends and complain all you want about "small minded fanboys" , but this is not the venue to do it.  I even think you could do more to change Marvel, by creating work for them, that is honorable and true to the characters.  I would buy it and I would love for my dollars to give me a voice in what direction I would like to see Marvel take.

Edited by Jodi Moisan on 14 November 2010 at 12:42pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 11  

Do you realize in some of your posts you have condemned all of those at Marvel as the worst possible way and as a mom of one of those "self masturbating fanboys", I assure you, you could not be farther from the truth. There are those in the industry that love comics, just as much as you do and they love the industry just as much as you do, believe me I raised one of them and you are one of his heroes.

••

Nothing in the wording of my original post indicates I am making a sweeping or general indictment. If I say this industry has been ruined by people who are in it only for the money, am I saying that EVERYONE is in it only for the money? If I say this industry has become infected with ennui engorged bungee jumpers, am I saying that describes EVERYONE? / am still a part of this industry, and I am neither in it solely for the money, nor an ennui engorged bungee jumper.

Anything I write here demands of the reader an ability to interpret. I am not about to pepper every post with qualifiers and little DICK TRACY style arrows pointing the way to my "true meaning". This business HAS been infected by ennui engorged bungee jumpers. An infection is, by definition, something which sickens the body. It is not the body as a whole.

If I say "The problem is people who wear red sweaters," and you and/or your kids have never worn red sweaters, then I am not talking about you, am I? I am not talking about ANYONE who has not worn a red sweater.

Laren Farmer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2010 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

**I've removed my comment because a previous post was clarified. 

Edited by Laren Farmer on 14 November 2010 at 12:52pm

<< Prev Page of 20 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version