Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: Here’s why Marvel won’t listen to us (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 4:57pm | IP Logged | 1  

That wasn't my point though. Since the Hidden Years was cancelled, you have made it pretty clear that you wouldn't work for Marvel until there was a regime change. I have people I would love to use, but they have made the same thing clear. In my world, one of these talented folks posting something on their blog or facebook page or anything else hardly would count as expressing interest to me. I would need a phone call. I have to consider the work, not the rock star.

And yet you're still underscoring the problem: you won't use the talent because you haven't changed your M.O. in work ethic as you see it. Thus, Marvel hasn't changed their M.O., and they require JB or some other pro to change theirs.

If the best Fantastic Four comic book we could see today could be produced by John Byrne, and Marvel has had peripheral discussions and know JB is ready and willing to produce that comic (with a history of proven success, the litmus for any company), then it's Breevort's job to facilitate. It isn't JB's job to come to Marvel with hat in hand. It isn't anyone's job to beg for Mighty Marvel's stamp of approval. They are a publishing company.  Their job is to pander to talented people who can uniquely fulfill what few people can if they are not artists with the professional and technical backgrounds to produce quality work. Quality work that should be better than any other publishers quality work. Better than Dynamite. Better than Boom!. Better than DC.

Ric Flair used to say that to be the best, you had to beat the best. In Marvel's little pocket universe of Hollywood-ized bullshi**ers and accountants, they've forgotten what work ethic is. Why have a work ethic when you're just waiting for your rich uncle to die ie for Hollywood to translate all their characters to movies/television, removing the very need for print comics at all. Which is what Marvel is doing, I believe.

Back to Top profile | search

Bill Conway
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 5:32pm | IP Logged | 2  

JB, if you woke up tomorrow morning an found yourself in an alternate universe where YOU were Editor-In-Chief at Marvel, what would the top 5 things be on your short list of thing to change?

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 3  

Question for Brian Joseph Mayer,

What field do you work in? What do you do?

I'm just curious!

Thanks-

robert jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged | 4  

After spending 50 bucks at my comics shop (I go about once or twice a month) last friday, I was thinking about how the 12 year old me's head would have exploded after realizing that I only buy 2 (count em 2) comics TOTAL from either M***** or dc (and neither of those books are super-hero books).  Too much angst, too much blood and gore, too much 'realisim', not enough granduar, books too late and no one caring, too many 'events'.  When it comes to my entertainment I vote with my dollar, and after the dreck that I saw coming out of the 'big' 2, I decided that if they didn't care enough to put out SOMETHING that I would find entertaining, then I wouldn't care about buying any of their crap.  So I spend money elsewhere  There are too many other companies that truely try to put out quality material (imo), for me to worry about the wares of the dwindling 'big 2'.  If i was one of the rats on those two sinking ships, I would be grateful and excited to hear any suggestions from anyone, anywhere.

THANKS MESSRS. BREVOORT AND DIDIO!!!

man, i can't wait for Nextmen...    

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 5  

Yes, he has.   Actually CO-written with someone by the name of Mike Kanterovich. (who?)

Mike Kanterovich is one of Tom's friends from the STAR BLAZERS Fan Club / Trelania A.P.A. days, and in my experience, is a nice guy. 

That said, I've never read Fantastic Force, nor Secret Defenders.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 6  

I don't buy nearly as many comics as I used to (the total number seems to be dropping for me every year) -- but honestly, as long as Marvel publishes JRJR's work, I'm there. That guy is just too damn good...

...how could I not buy that???

I guess I follow artists these days more than characters and titles.

JB, Perez*, Joe Kubert, Romita Sr & Jr -- whatever they work on, I buy.

*although I have skipped a few Perez projects/issues because of missed deadlines.

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 6:54pm | IP Logged | 7  

That said, I've never read Fantastic Force, nor Secret Defenders.

==================

Lucky!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm glad that topics like this come up from time to time, because a lot of great points are being made. Lots of very good thoughts and input being shared.

I just hope that Brevoort is here reading all of them.

This is all constructive criticism, because we all love comicbooks, and want them to succeed.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 9  

Brian Joseph Mayer wrote:
You have guessed wrong and the entirety of your point is meaningless.But, since you decided to make an assumption without asking, let me fill you in.

Brian, I meant no offense by my assumptions or comments.  If it came across that way, I'm sorry.  Like Nathan, I am now curious what line of business you are in, if you don't mind saying.

At any rate, I think too much has been made of JB's expressed attitude in his public comments.  From what I've read, he is not unique... many (the majority?) of creators these days are expected to pitch their ideas to Marvel, rather than the company approaching them about projects or assignments.  The reason JB is expected to reach out to Marvel first isn't necessarily because of past issues or his public comments since, because he is not the only one for whom they have this expectation.

Brad Krawchuk
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 10  

That's the thing - we talk about these things because we CARE about them. 

The day I stop bitching about what Marvel and DC are doing with characters I like, is they day they REALLY need to worry, because it will mean I no longer have any investment in them.*

*Edited to add - or, it's the best day ever and they've actually changed for the better.  

Edited by Brad Krawchuk on 01 November 2010 at 7:29pm

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:25pm | IP Logged | 11  

I'm starting to think I'm too picky. If the art AND writing on a book
don't work for me, I won't keep buying it.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2010 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 12  

Wallace, I feel the same way.

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version