Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 22 Next >>
Topic: Here’s why Marvel won’t listen to us (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 2:42am | IP Logged | 1  

After giving it some more thought, I actually think commenting on Brevoort's tweet could have some merit since what gets posted here seems to some degree have an effect on the online comic community as a whole.It just doesn't need to completely become a serve and volley pissing match. Sorry Jodi.

How hard would it have been to post; Folks, believe it or not we understand your complaint and concerns with our product and the characters within. Between the "Heroic Age" the new price point and our ".1" issues, we are actively trying to right the ship but it takes time as we must address factors you're unaware of. Please hang in there.

Now I have no idea if the above statement is true, but it's my guess that these three factors I've listed are Marvel's way of addressing some of our issues with there product. Considering his position, and considering we seem to be a loud enough voice to get there attention, at this point, you'd think he'd want to mend the situation, not put gasoline on it.

Edited by Stephen Churay on 31 October 2010 at 2:43am

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 3:08am | IP Logged | 2  

I am really not trying to jump on Rick. I just don't know what threads like this serve.

I think who ever went and asked that question, put it in such a way it was obvious they wanted the response they got and are now happy when people on here end up bashing Marvel. They are loving the negative vibe they have created. I for one am not going to fall for it.
---

When we stop discussing it, is when Marvel should really worry. At that point, we really don't care and that will be the death nail in Marvel. To me, even discussing Brevoort's tweet shows that we're very passionate about the Marvel Universe. I don't want to see Marvel fold up there tent. I want it to be around for a long time so that my kids and there kids can get the same enjoyment that I once had, and hope to have again.

Marvel's price point and ".1' announcements speaks of beginnings and don't really get into what the long term goals are. Does Marvel OWE us an explanation. Probably not, but when you factor in that the average age of today's comic buyer is around 30, you might figure that we'd like to know a little more than the average 15 year old. So, why not put a post ON HERE to help us understand it instead of letting us blast how short sided the announcement seemed.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 3:29am | IP Logged | 3  

"If it were anywhere near so easy to fix the state of the industry, it would already be fixed."

This response is interesting. We have a Marvel employee A) admitting that the industry is broken and B) he knows of no way of fixing it immediately. What Brevoort implies is that there is still time for a long-term fix. I hope he isn't betting his mortgage on that assumption.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 4  

Gosh. Not working on titles for the (incredible shrinking) big 2 = "virtually left the field" now huh? 

So smaller comics publishers are some kind of an irrelevant, gossamer-thin, peripheral exo-industry that invisibly haunts the real thing? Ooookay. Sure. Whatever. 

Mr. Brevoort is known worldwide for his valuable, two-fisted, much in demand, cutting edge, Marvel-Editor powered Tweet gravitas. He is clearly a kingmaker and a rain bringer. He alone spins out the threads of fate. His keyboard is a keyboard of justice.

So, why is he wasting these glorious, shining pearls of enlightenment just to attack a small gaggle of old, confused, irrelevant know-nothings over at Byrnerobotics again?

Isn't Mr. Brevoort concerned that a mere accidental glimpse of his radiant wisdom might turn some of us to stone?

I thought we were sad, and didn't matter, and that we hid from the light of reason*  in a crumbling mouldy e-castle that is at least 1000 years behind the rest of the internet?

I thought we were only capable of spending our days mindlessly attempting to parrot "the opinion" or fighting amongst ourselves in the insane hope that if we please him, Mr Byrne might eat us last. 

Oh well.

It seems to me that Byrnerobotics is consistently more entertaining than anything Marvel or DC are putting out these days. Also, it's much much cheaper. 

*(today, the part of " the light of reason" will be played by Nick Fury saying FUCK after banging a young asian hooker in a Marvel MAX-label comic, or Wonder Dog eating Marvin and putting Wendy in a coma in the Teen Titans.)

Edited by Emery Calame on 31 October 2010 at 6:18am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 5:56am | IP Logged | 5  

"If it were anywhere near so easy to fix the state of the industry, it would already be fixed."

And there it is. Everything that is wrong with Marvel summed up in a single sentence. It's diminished expectations taken to the extreme. THEY HAVE GIVEN UP.

The notion of producing books on regular, timely schedules, making them accessible to all ages of readers, eschewing stunts in favor of consistent, solid storytelling -- these things are not options. Never mind that this was how American comics books in general, and Marvel in particular, were run for forty years or more -- these thing are beyond the scope of the current crop of prima donnas, and so simply cannot be done.

They've given up.

(Incidentally -- it is beyond ironic to see ByrneRobotics.com being referred to as an "ego-board" in a post on TWITTER!!)

Back to Top profile | search

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 6  

"And possibly because they types of "instant answers"
that pundits post on internet boards..."

Well, I know that that particular sentence doesn't name
drop this board specifically, but since the JBF was
mentioned in the initial quote, I'd like to point out
that in all the discussions on this topic here, most of
us seem to understand that the things we posit as
solutions are anything BUT "instant answers". Any
solutions to the situation American comics find
themselves in right now will take a long time to take
effect.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 6:13am | IP Logged | 7  

Why is it mainly American superhero comics  from THE BIG TWO that are (still) circling the drain? 

Why are editors telling disappointed fans that circling the drain is the best possible strategy given the current market?  

Manga is having some problems of its own, but it's a way healthier industry and has seen way less contraction and is mostly published in B&W with shorter stories in periodical anthology format. It has people of all ages reading. 

Why?

Edited by Emery Calame on 31 October 2010 at 6:21am

Bill Hood
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 8  

John, hush...you've virtually left the business. You have no say.
Now, I'm going to go read my copy of Angel v. Frankenstein that's sitting on my stack of Next Men beside my Star Trek: Assignment Earth before I put them away with my run of FX.

Ugh...some people's children.

Edited by Bill Hood on 31 October 2010 at 6:18am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 9  

John, hush...you've virtually left the business. You have no say.

Now, I'm going to go read my copy of Angel v. Frankenstein that's sitting on my stack of Next Men beside my Star Trek: Assignment Earth before I put them away with my run of FX.

••

Breevort's comment reflects an attitude that has been part of Marvel for as long as I can remember. It used to be much more subtle, of course, as when Neal Adams' credit line on his first issue of X-MEN "introduced" him, as if he had not done any previous work in comics, or when a bullpen comment that mentioned Glynis Wein quipped a little something to the effect of wondering what had ever happened to her husband. (Len had gone back to DC.)

The attitude was, there is MARVEL, and then, dimly and distantly, there is everything else. Even DC is no more than a tiny, fleeting blip on the radar.

This kind of thinking made itself very noticeable when the notion of paying royalties was first lofted. The response from the bean counters was basically "Royalties? Why do you want royalties? We're letting you work for MARVEL! Isn't that enough?"

So, rattling off the list of all the work I have done since I left Marvel really has no impact on someone like Breevort, or those who suckle at that particular teat. If it isn't MARVEL, it simply doesn't count.

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 10  

Their stuff isn't MARVEL either.

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:09am | IP Logged | 11  

Wow, he doesn't even know that they still sell comics in newsstands? I was at the mall again yesterday and I saw 2 tobacco shops / magazine stands carrying US comics: Deadpool Corps, Iron Man, Simpsons... I forget the other 2 titles...

Most Zellers (it's an economical dept store like Target) sell recent bag and boarded comics, they sell bags and boards too.

Kevin wrote:
Does this mean every time I participate in a discussion that doesn't change the world, I'm wasting my time?

Not only that, but if you're not saying the exact same thing everyone else is supposed to agree on, then you are wrong to do so.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 31 October 2010 at 7:20am

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 12  

Brevoort is a jack ass anyway.  I hate seeing him at conventions strutting around with his undeserved sense of accomplishment.  Always with the same shit eating grin and wearing his Joey from Degrassi Jr. High hat.  Another case of an uber fan boy who has got into power but doesn't have a clue.

I would say who gives a damn what he thinks but for some reason he actually has some pull.

Besides I am proud to be a member of this "ego-board"!

<< Prev Page of 22 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version