Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Amazing Fantasy #15 is MINE!!! muahahah!! (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 1  

Let's say the costume was folded up in a clear plastic case (folded in the way you'd find clothes in a department store). Would you open the case so you could look at the entire costume?

That is exactly what I am going to do with the Locke costume I just bought at the LOST auctions. I am getting one of those football jersey frames to display it in, along with a screen shot from the show, showing him wearing it. It's a gift for my son to hang in his media room or office one day.

It would be waaaayyyy too much pressure to even try Obi Wan's robe on, I would be tempted, but knowing me I would spill something on it or rip it.

Plus once the comic is removed from the plastic, it loses some of it's value, I wouldn't want to lose money just to read something I can read from a reprint.  I would look at this issue on the same level as a framed original Ditko or Kirby drawn page, protect it the best I can. 

- imho, it's just really sad to own something sooooo incredibly fun -- but all of that joy is sealed away in a plastic coffin.

*Note to self remove kitty from acrylic box. LOL

Also in my other post I meant to write since not sense there.D'oh!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 1:25pm | IP Logged | 2  

>> Nathan:  -but I still hate CGC :)

That's ok, you're allowed. I'm not crazy about them either.

>>Anthony:    It is a fairly common book, though, available at most conventions, etc.  I would guess you probably paid 20%+ more for a CGC'd version than you would have for one that is not slabbed. 

You'd be incorrect. I spent a good amount of time researching prices, conditions, etc and got this for a bargain. I vowed not to pay "more" for the cgc of it.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Jason Mark Hickok
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 3  

I have a feeling I will be ribbing Fred pretty good this coming weekend.  You know once I find him at Gabriel Hardman's table!   =)

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 4  

Big envy... er, I meant congratulations!

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 5  

> have a feeling I will be ribbing Fred pretty good this coming weekend.  You know once I find him at Gabriel Hardman's table!   =)

You may have your chance to do that with the book present. That way we can all not enjoy it together.

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 6:35pm | IP Logged | 6  

If you crack it open, then Hardman can sign it!

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

I can't wrap my mind around keeping any book in a place where it can't be read.  I understand keeping rare books protected.  But to not be able to take it out just doesn't make sense to me.  It stops being a book and starts being a financial investment.  I love feeling the old paper and seeing the wear and tear of an old book - flipping through an Amazing Fantasy must be, well, amazing!  It's seems a shame to spend all that dough and not actually experience the fun of reading it.

At the end of the day, it's a book and should be read.  It's not like it's the original art for the book and is one-of-a-kind.  Books are rare and valuable, but once you buy it, isn't the value in the experience of what you do with it?  Keeping it locked up restricts the value only to its monetary worth -- and that's ultimately a fleeting experience.

Back to Top profile | search

Dave Aikins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 8  

I honestly don't know what I'd do with a slabbed book. I do have one, but it's one that I had slabbed. I understand THAT aspect of it: getting books you want to sell slabbed. It's a great way to sell books on ebay without worrying that the buyer will disagree on condition. And, when you're dealing with a high end book, it's worth the $40+(?) to get the book graded just to avoid the hassle of someone thinking "THAT'S NOT MINT!!!" and wanting their money back. And if the difference of selling a slabbed book to a buyer is greater then the cost of getting the book slabbed, well you'd be dumb not to. The buyer is really paying the cost. But the value of a book has to be well over $100 to pay to get it graded and slabbed..
But once buy a slabbed book? Not sure what I'd do. I will say that it's really funny to hold a slabbed book. Feels good in the hands. Makes me want to hit someone with it real hard like...

I have to add.. Congrats on getting a copy! It is really cool!!!

Edited by Dave Aikins on 24 August 2010 at 10:07pm

Lee Nail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 9  

I don't know what its like to have a slabbed book either.  Ive been collecting for 44 years and owned complete sets of ALL the major Marvel titles.  None of them picked up at the newstand first hand, until probally mid-1968.

All of it spent back-tracking, first with neighborhood buddies, swapping, trading, and eventually..... buying out collections from guys who "outgrew" the hobby.  As the years when on.... (early '70s) I discovered fandom, both through the mail, and local comic book conventions.   By the mid '70s...... I was graduating high school, and "completing" my collections of my beloved Marvel titles.

I didn't spend much time pouring over each page, as I aqquired the "final few", as I was able to read either friends copies of said books, or reprints.

That said, once the final "grail" (or "grails") came into my possession, the thrill was overwhelming.  Not that I was finally able to READ the story (I had already read it) or SMELL the pages (I had already enjoyed that pleasure with my other books.  But that I owned it.  That it was mine.  That I now had a COMPLETE SET.  

Long before the "trading card" mentality became popular.  It was about OWNING the book.  Especially if it was a highly treasured collectible, such as AF #15.   

No one would build complete sets, and piece together collections, unless they grew up LOVING Marvel comics.  LOVING Spider-Man.  LOVING Ditko and Romita and all that followed.

I think Fred is to be congratulated, not only for his aquisition, but for his patience in this thread.  While the majority of the posters see "the sparkle in his eye" for finally obtaining (yes, OBTAINING) a treasured collectable, and have congratulated him for it; he has also had to "enjoy" being told, that he should Crack That Ol' Case Open, so that he can REALLY enjoy it.  Hmmm.

Seems to me, this is no different, than a Commission thread.  Where it is more appropriate, to merely compliment and congratulate the commissioner, than it is to ridicule or insult them, because one can.

I know if I just spent over $8000 on a book, and wanted to come here to share my joy, I doubt I would appriciate folks telling me the proper way to enjoy it.

Congrats again, Fred  :)  DAMN nice copy, brother!

Joel Tesch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

I agree Lee. To each his own. Congrats Fred!

Edited by Joel Tesch on 24 August 2010 at 10:05pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 11  

If I paid as much for a comic as Fred presumably did for this one, I sure wouldn't open the seal.  That would be foolish.  Then again, I can't imagine ever paying as much for a comic as that.  

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2010 at 11:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

Jason: That would be foolish.

----

It would only be "foolish" to open the book if you bought it strictly for financial investment.

...and there are much wiser investments to make.

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version