Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne’s Favorite covers (not his own) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2010 at 8:39pm | IP Logged | 1  

What are John Byrne's Favorite Comic Book Covers. I am very interested to know what are your 10 most favorite covers. If 10 is too many, I'll take less. I can assume Fantastic Four #1, but other than that I am very curious.

Thank you for this forum, I remember chatting with you back in the 90s on AOL board and found you both entertaining and fascinating. How you put up with the crowd there I'll never know.

Shell
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 12:10am | IP Logged | 2  

The Ninth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads thus:

"The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people."

I used to find it curious that there was seen to be a need to express this in words -- until the internet came along. It was not long after I started reading and posting that I discovered the mindset that reads any absence of endorsement as a condemnation. This seemed especially to be the case any time lists were involved. I could name my top five, ten, or 100 of just about anything, and sure enough somebody would pop up demanding to know why I had "no love" for some sixth, eleventh or 101st item.

Pretty soon, then, I learned to avoid lists!

Back to Top profile | search

Derek Cavin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 3  

I think some of these magazines and websites create lists (top 10 this and top 50 that) just to get people stirred up. It works.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 4  

If I may put in a word about comics covers---the best ones are the ones that grab your attention from 10 feet away, and make you walk over and say, "I have got to see what's going on inside that comic!".  My personal choice for all-time best is Uncanny #142.  Seeing a lead character getting blasted to bits has a tendency to grab MY attention!  And it's the first JB comic I ever read, so it's a nostalgic fave.

Edited by Tony Midyett on 29 July 2010 at 6:31am

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 5  

Picking ten would be way too hard. For me it would be easier to list my ten favorite from artist x. That would still be a difficult task. However, I think it would be fun if try. JB would be the first and most logical choice to try this with.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 6  

I'll play if you will, Paul...

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 6:52am | IP Logged | 7  

Joe, I'm in. I'll need to view the archives before I make my official ten JB covers. Which will then lead me to start reading my old comics. Which means I won't post anything until next month. Just kidding.

If we do this let's provide links to the covers. Let's not waste space by posting the actual images on the site.

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 8  

Sounds good.  I'll work on this later today.  Also, I suggest/hope anyone who wants to play also includes some commentary.  What is it about each cover you choose that speaks to you?  What makes it so great and memorable?  I'll be interested to hear peoples' thoughts (or maybe just Paul's if he and I are the only people who participate).

Shell Harris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 9  

I guess then that John has declined. Too bad, as a fan I would have loved to see this. But that is his choice. Anyone like to include their own top list of John's covers?

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 10  

The regular covers to Leonard McCoy.

Tony Midyett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 11  

Anyone know the issue number of Walt Simonson's Star Wars "red Luke rage" cover?  That one has stuck in my mind so clearly over the years.  Luke's royally pissed, and the colorist has doused the whole thing in an intense red!

Edited by Tony Midyett on 29 July 2010 at 7:38am

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 8:18am | IP Logged | 12  

My Top 10 favorite Byrne covers and why:

Marvel Team-Up 68-  The cover (via Marvel Tales) to perhaps the first Spider-Man comic I ever owned.  Nostalgia aside, I just love it!  Unconventional in that the hero is not facing the camera and the monster is the star of the show!  Man-Thing lunging towards the obviously startled Spider-Man is probably my all-time favorite cover by any artist!

Fantastic Four 249- One of the best covers that goes along with one of the best slugfests in comics history!  The image of Gladiator standing over the demolished Fantastic Four...how could anyone resist this comic???

Alpha Flight 5-  My favorite Alpha Flight cover, just an amazing job...I really don't think I have the artistic vocabulary to explain what I love about this one!  Just go look at it!!!

Amazing Spider-Man Annual 12-  Spider-Man vs Hulk....perhaps my two favorite comic characters battling it out!  I've always wished there was Byrne art to the interior of this comic.

Daredevil 200- When I think of Daredevil comics, this image of DD standing over the fallen Bullseye is always the first cover that comes to mind.  That's rather impressive considering JB is not associated much with DD.

Fantastic Four 243- Everyone vs Galactus!  Nuff said?  Galactus is one of the best characters in the history of fiction.  Seeing all the heroes teamed up against him was just incredible!

FX 1-  Two words:  Giant.  Gorilla.

Incredible Hulk 314-  This cover has entered the realm of iconic images of the Hulk.  With all those villains in the background a comic reader would just have to buy this one to see what was going on!!!

Spectacular Spider-Man 101-  The best cover featuring Spidey's black costume.  Striking all around.

X-Men 133-  Wolverine at his best by the artist who draws him the best!

By the way, are Byrne's published covers no longer in the gallery to this web site?  I was not having luck finding them here. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version