Posted: 12 February 2019 at 7:54pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Is there not enough role playing geeks on here to have a thread
dedicated to role playing games?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 February 2019 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It doesn't seem like it.

I only get to play about 4-6 hours a week so I tend to shy aware from long games as much as I can. 

I am playing Mutant Year Zero and for X-Com fans that game is fantastic. Great art, fun tense turn-based combat and it is brutally hard. It is on Xbox gamepass so I recommend experiencing it that way.

RT
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 27 February 2019 at 1:19am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

So who has finished Chapter 6 of RDR2?  Hard to talk about without spoilers, so inviso-text here we go...

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
It's sad.  Incredibly sad.  I chose to make Arthur an honorable man, as much as I was able (and getting the trophy in the process), but he still met his end.  I knew it was coming.  Was dreading it, which was why I meandered for so long throughout the world before attempting the final mission, but didn't want to believe it even when it came.  Now I'm in the first of two epilogue sections of the game and am hoping for some sort of "redemption" that may not come.  Although I do think that what Arthur meant when he said he won was that he gave Micah tuberculosis as a result of their final battle in the same way he contracted it, I want Marston to actually kill him or at least to watch him die.  

As it is, I feel that this is a rare game where I feel for all the characters good or bad.  Rockstar has done an exemplary job in script, voice and animation to elicit an emotional response from me, to actually make me worry about choices and outcomes.  The original MASS EFFECT trilogy worked in much the same way.  Ironically, none of the GTA games for which Rockstar made their name have even a tenth of the heart, humanity or pathos that just three hours of RDR or RDR2 gameplay has. I think this game is truly a monumental achievement in video games.  

The on-line portion, however, may be a different story.  So far it seems as though it's built on micro transactions.  Sure, you may be able to earn enough coin in the world to buy a better horse than the shitty one you're "gifted" at the start of the game, or to buy better guns than the ones you inherit, but the game is rigged against you insomuch as the price of ammo, guns, upgrades etc. is fucking huge.  So much more than the actual game.  Yeah, I understand they can't sell ammo for cents, but things that take a little time in game to earn costs exponentially more in on-line.  It's a push to get you to buy gold bars from the PS store in the exact same way it was for you to do the same in GTAV.

So you're essentially forced to play an on-line game with people who seemingly don't care if they spend a couple hundred dollars to gear their player up early in order to take advantage of those who just want to explore the world with their friends.  I literally had someone chase me across states because I dared to kill them after they hunted and killed me first.  Problem #1 with MMORPG.  Reason #1 why I prefer single player campaigns or couch/on-line co-op to the crazy open world free-for-all of on-line play.
Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

So who has finished Chapter 6 of RDR2?

==

I finished it, yes it was very sad.Arthur Morgan has to
be one, if not the best game characters ever made. And
like you said. they did a great job of making the gang
an actual family. It had tears in my eyes many times.

Edited by Thomas Woods on 02 March 2019 at 7:57am

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2019 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't drop in here often but enjoy the dialogue when I do.

I was pretty sure the Spider'man game was possibly the best video game ever (even surpassing Fallout) but then I drove headlong into Red Dead Redemption. I still can't believe how good that game was.

Spoiler warnings-

Arthur is so great that playing as Marston in the epilogues is a let down, even though they are good as well. (The Tall Trees gang is genuinely terrifying).

I played Arthur honorably and was truly moved by the acting and the outcomes. And yes, MORE SPOILER if you haven't finished the epilogue... Getting to shoot the shit out of Micah WAS VERY SATISFYING.

I'm back to playing Red Dead Redemption because I realized that it was like a distant memory and that maybe I never actually finished it. That game, while somewhat mechanically primitive compared to RDR II it still has so many of the great elements that they expand upon with RDR II.

Is it OK to have a separate spoiler-filled Red Dead Redemption II t hread or all ALL THINGS video games supposed to be here?

Edited to hide the spoilers~Matt

Edited by Matt Reed on 04 March 2019 at 12:28pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2019 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Itíd be better if you hid the spoilers in the INVISO tag. 

[ INVISO ] Spoilers in here. [ /INVISO ]

Like that without the spaces. 

Iíd love to see RDR remade with the RDR2 engine, so that you could play Johnís story in its entirety with consistent gameplay. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2019 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Also, who else here takes the time to free the horses after robbing a stagecoach?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 March 2019 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Me!  I do it after I have to blow up a safe on an armored stagecoach as well.  First time I did it the explosion killed the horses, so ever since I free them before setting the explosive.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2019 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I felt great responsibility to my horses.

Buell was my last horse and when he died at the end, i about lost it. Similar to Argo in Shadow of the Colossus

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2019 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

- I free horses
- Feed and brush them even when they don't need it.
Usually feed on dismount or any event that may have
spooked him.
-I chop wood and other chores
-I stop to chat with camp members
-I walk through camp and walk almost everywhere else

All the little details add to the game a lot

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 7:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Taking a break from RDR2 on-line, I decided to go in a totally different direction and thus started KINGDOM HEARTS III.  Anyone else here a fan of this series? 

It's been 14 years since the release of KINGDOM HEARTS II.  Although there have been prequels and sequels released in the intervening time, many of those were on devices I didn't own or totally slipped under my radar at the time.  As such, I've only played the two main games and, for the most part, thoroughly enjoyed them in a Manga crazy kinda way.  I do have to note that I've never played a single minute of any iteration of FINAL FANTASY from which this series gets much of its inspiration.  

Going back to this franchise after so long has been...interesting.  On the positive side, it's like revisiting old friends.  The characters themselves are warm and welcoming, the gameplay is much more fluid and responsive than previous iterations and the upgrade from PS2 (!) shows in the graphics, which are stunning.  On the negative side, the series is a narrative mess.  Names are confusing (not helped by many characters looking quite similar to one another), the larger objective is nonsensical, and none of it is helped by interminably long cutscenes.  They attempt to update players via flashback throughout, but that only serves to confuse rather than help.  Perhaps if I'd played every iteration of this series across multiple platforms I might better understand the story, but since I haven't it's just a jumble of names (and often alternate character names as many go by two depending on the their place in the story), endless encounters I have no connection to and technobabble about hearts, hearts and more hearts: the need for them or the lack of them.  

All that said, I have to put aside the narrative in order to enjoy the game. That's easy enough to do as, like games past, you visit different "Disney/Pixar" worlds populated with favorite characters and smaller, more manageable goals within each world.  It's fun to visit Toy Box, for instance, and play alongside characters from TOY STORY.  Their design is impeccable and Sora, your main character, along with Goofy and Donald, your constant traveling companions, are visually adapted to fit into the Toy world.  Certain upgrades to fights are also welcomed.  If you hit a specific enemy, for instance, you are granted the power to take on one of the iconic rides from Disney theme parks for a time.  Those are fun, exciting elements that make attaining that ability desirable as you don't know which ride will pop up next.  

I'm still utterly confused by Gummi ship construction, but that's a "me thing" as it's been confusing to me from the outset.  Gummi ships, for those unfamiliar, are the way to travel between worlds and you can update or create as many as you desire as long as you have the required elements for construction.  That said, travel between worlds is the best it's ever been in this franchise.  Although it took a bit to understand how to control the ship, the space between worlds is populated with battles, points to explore and construction material to gather for upgrades.   It's a constantly evolving space that adds more things to do the further you progress in the story.  

Finally, there are no shortage of things to do in KINGDOM HEARTS III.  There are mini games to discover, treasures to hunt, Mickey symbols to uncover and interactions with NPC that send you on a mini hunt.  All of this makes revisiting worlds a must as things are (mostly) put back together once conquered and you more than likely didn't discover everything on your first pass.

My final verdict is that KINGDOM HEARTS III is a mixed bag.  While utterly confusing from the standpoint of story, its gameplay within the story saves it.  While I don't think it would be entertaining (or welcoming!) to a player for whom this is their first experience with the franchise, it does reward even players like me whose familiarity only extends to the two major releases from 2002 and 2005.  

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 March 2019 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I am waiting on KH III from the library as I have never played a KH game and am super curious.

I have been playing Metro Exodus and Anthem and boy do I like Metro and not like Anthem.

ME plays like an open-world Metro game, in that the shooting is not responsive, ammo is scarce and you have to move through the world defensively instead of offensively.

Anthem is Iron Man Destiny, but with deeply unsatisfying shooting mechanics and even less content than D1 or D2 at launch. It is definitely not a traditional Bioware narrative experience.

RT

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Well into KINGDOM HEARTS III and the love/frustration continues!  Cut scenes are getting longer (one yesterday clocked in at over 15 minutes!) and they're getting more convoluted as the story unfolds.  That said?  The PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN world is gorgeous and really underscores how much work was done to make the leads visually fit into each of the worlds they visit.  Ship mechanics are AC: BLACK FLAG lite, but fun nonetheless.  I can already tell, however, that it's going to be a fruitless search to get all the treasures and symbols.  Just too much area to cover and no system that helps you detect when they are near or when you've "cleared" an area, something the Lego games have perfected and would have been a welcomed addition here. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 77
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version