Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 161 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 2:01am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Thanks for the tips. I'll play Oblivion first. I did have a question for you about the leveling situation. How difficult did it make the game? I used to have the patience for building characters in situations like this, but I've done some research on it and I really can't be bothered with it. ;) 
Back to Top profile | search

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

In Oblivion? I mean, unlike World of Warcraft and games like that, you don't gain leveling points from completing quests. IIRC, in Oblivion, the main skills you choose influence your leveling the most. So, for example, if you want to be a warrior, using a sword and shield in fights will level quicker than if you relied on magic. I believe Skyrim tweaked the system a bit. It does take a LONG time to level up fully, and the higher level you are, the more time it takes to advance more. In Oblivion, you can even level by raising your Jumping skill. Not so in Skyrim.

Again, Oblivion was weird with its leveling system because everything else leveled alongside you. So a bear would be just as hard to fight at level 1 as level 25. That's really the only negative thing I can remember about Oblivion.

The Elder Scrolls games are great in how they reference and connect with other games in the series. If you put a lot of time into Oblivion and move on to Skyrim, a lot of the story is referred to. The myths and legends carry on from game to game.

If you enjoy those two games and have an original Xbox, I would also recommend playinh Morrowind, the 3rd game in the Elder Scrolls series. More of the same in terms of gameplay, but enjoyable if you're a fan of Oblivion and Skyrim.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Morin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Morrowwind is compatible with the Xbox 360 if you are so inclined. Other orginal Xbox games are playable on the Xbox 360 also. http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-games/play-original -games

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 9:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Huh, didn't know that!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 10:32am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

My frustration with Lego games grows exponentially after playing Lego Lord of the Rings.  Wonky camera angles that make getting some bricks and minikits nearly impossible.  Segments of gameplay that have the characters running along a predetermined path with no clear layout of what you're supposed to hit in order to get minikits, bricks or blueprints. A confusing and ultimately frustrating backpack storage system with things you have gathered looking so similar to other things you've gathered that it takes more time than it should to find what it is that you need to use in order to complete a level.  The absurd notion that not a single character can swim in this world, not a one, such that any time you accidentally fall into the water you are immediately thrust back to the start and forced to try it all over again.  And don't ask me about the side missions where you have to gather certain items from different levels in order to get red bricks.  The world map makes it absolutely impossible to keep track of what you've gathered and to whom it belongs that you spend so much time looking through your backpack (which is only accessible via a character an not the world map itself) it becomes an exercise in frustration.  Would it have been so hard to name what it is you're looking for when you hover above it on the world map or change a color to indicate you've achieved your goal?

Have to agree with many reviews I've read that Tt needs to change up their engine with their next iteration. Not only is it becoming stale and repetitive, but the problems with the games aren't being addressed with new iterations and, in fact, many are made worse.  I'll have to consider long and hard whether or not I want to buy another one, that's for sure!     

Tony Centofanti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Any Street Fighters in here?

Anyway, can't say I've played many new games lately, but man, I've been tearing it up in "The Revenge of Shinobi" on my Model 1 Sega Genesis.

I'm lucky enough to have the version with John Rambo, Spider-Man, Batman, and Godzilla. This game is a serious hoot. I can't manage to get past stage 7 though. This game's difficulty is not for the faint of heart, that is certian.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Button mashing fighter games is the one genre that I've never gotten into.  Tried when they were really popular, but lack of compelling story and characters coupled with wrists that took a serious beating made for no fun for me.  

Tony Centofanti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Street Fighter is NOT button mashing. In fact, if you did so against someone that knew what they were doing, I'd imagine you'd lose 10/10 times.

There's no element of randomness to them. It all strategy and postioning.

I will admit, the higher level combos to require a level of manual dexterity absent from most other video games.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Combos. Button mashing.  All the same to me with respect to hitting certain buttons in the exact order needed to execute a maneuver and if you fail, you have to start all over again in order to complete the level against your opponent.  At the end of the day, my wrists hurt either way so I never became a fan.

Tony Centofanti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Combos are not the "meat" of the game though. It's causing mind games with your opponent. Seriously. I haven't played a video game more demanding in terms of strategy than Capcom's fighters from the mid-late 1990s.

Really, though, it's all in what you like. I can't stand FPS games other than Doom and Doom II. I find them to be frightfully boring.

Anyway, just for a change of pace, what are everyone's favorite games of all time in here? I'm trying to get a flavor of the kind of gamers we have in here.

My top ten, not in order:

Super Street Fighter II Turbo(arcade)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis)
The Revenge of Shinobi (Sega Genesis)
Final Fantasy Tactics (PSX)
Doom(PC)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)
Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Arcade)
Super Metroid (SNES)
Streets of Rage 2 (Sega Genesis)
Megaman X (SNES)

I'm pretty sure these are the games I've played the most. Again, I don't think these are the "best" per se, I'd likely give that one to Tetris, but they are my favorites.

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Monkey Island
Full Throttle
Monkey Island 2
Knights of the Old Republic
X-Wing
Skyrim
Lego Star Wars The Complete Saga
Lego Indiana Jones
The Legend of Zelda
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds (Age of Empires clone)

also not in order

Robert Keane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Off the top of my head, pretty sure I'm missing some, but...

Price of Persia: The Sands of Time
Mass Effect 2
Super Mario Galaxy
Burnout 3
Resident Evil 4
Rock Band/Guitar Hero
Half-Life 2
Tomb Raider (2013)
Rayman Origins
Splinter Cell (the first one)

<< Prev Page of 161 Next >>