Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 76 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Update that I am completely obsessed with State of Decay 2. It is insanely repetitive as a management sim with zombies but boy howdy, when a colony gets going and your people don't die all at once, it is very satisfying.

RT
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 7:33pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Sounds like fun!  Wish I could play it, but it's Xbox exclusive.  Ah well, those Xbox only players missed out on the most excellent PS4 exclusive HORIZON: ZERO DAWN so I think the scales are equal!  
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 8:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Speaking of exclusivity, I am dismayed that SEA OF THIEVES is available only on the Xbox One (I own a PS4). 

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

State of Decay and Sea of Thieves are both on PC and that is apparently the best version. Xbox Ones will discounted at E3 allegedly so it might be a good time to get one

RT

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 June 2018 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I don't do Microsoft. On principle. ;-) 

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 1:04am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sea of Thieves is from Rare, who are wholly owned by Microsoft, so that's very unlikely to come to the PS4!

I'm really pleased to see Rare have another big hit on their hands, having played and loved their games since the NES days in the late 80s, I'd hate to see them go the way of Lionhead, whom Microsoft shuttered a few years back.

Edited by Richard White on 08 June 2018 at 1:05am

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think E3 this week will see Microsoft acquiring and announcing new first party stuff because their line up has been very thin for a couple years.

RT

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 June 2018 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I think Sony has been crushing it in that regard.  Right now is the standard fallow period until the fall when titles come out for holiday sales, but I'm hard pressed to find a time where there isn't something I want to pop in and tackle on PS4.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Here's a 'video game' for ya:

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Boy E3 has been something this year.

EA's conference was a big ball of nothing other than Battlefield 5 won't have loot boxes which is great. That's a terrible trend that may be already on it's last legs.

Microsoft knocked it out of the park with a massive show centered on 2019 deliveries of lots and lots of games. Gears 5 I could care less about but Gears Tactics looked cool. Ori was one of my favorite games of the last few years so the sequel looks fantastic and I am deep into digging State of Decay 2. MS seems very determined to catch up to the caliber of games Sony has been releasing for the last few years.

Gamepass looks like Microsoft's big play for the future by boiling the gamer frog into buying into services rather than games. I am using gamepass to play SoD2 and thus far it has cost $12 all in. 

The Bethesda conference was a blast, and I am very into Rage 2, Doom Eternal, and the Wolfenstein 2 expansion Young Blood. Fallout 76 looks interesting as essentially a multi-player only survival game.

Square Enix's conference was snore for me, other than Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which was immediately upstaged later that day by Last of Us 2 at Sony.

Ubisoft's presentation was the goofy clusterfuck it is every year, with some interesting games. Like Far Cry 5, the Division 2 looks to be a game that might have accidentally been extremely relevant but is tone deaf. Assassin's Creed reaches farther away from Assassin's or Templars, past Origins in Egypt to Ancient Greece.  I love these games so I will likely get this one either way.

Anyone see anything else that got you pumped? Like the second half of the Xbox 360 generation, it seems like all platforms are hitting their strides and really making amazing games.

RT

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2018 at 10:15am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I didn't watch but am always excited about more Fallout. I haven't played multi-player on line stuff since Diablo 3 in 2001 so I don't know how I feel about it but more Fallout to explore is pretty GOOD with me.

I'm also in for Last of Us 2 sight unseen.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Out soon:

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Great console and home to one of my favourites:

Magical Flying Hat Turbo Adventure!

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

If you are a fan of the Mega Drive there's this brilliant book Robbie:

Megadrive/Genesis collected works. It even contains the original design documents for the console.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Thank you very much!

More of a Master System fan, myself, but the Mega Drive is cool! :)

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 June 2018 at 11:57am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

The game on my next play list is Total War: Three
Kingdoms.

After that I may play some of the Kingdom Come
Deliverance DLC that makes the game fresh again.

After that, it may be a long wait to Cyberpunk 2077.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Here's a scoop of bullshit from the World Health Organisation:

Gotta love how these organisations, politicians and media love to put everyone in a box and label them. 

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 June 2018 at 10:59am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I have always been super curious about Total War games but have never jumped in. Given the colony management was my favourite part of State of Decay 2 I suspect I would dig on it.

RT

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Robin Taylor wrote:
My wife and I loved the Witcher 3

Finished the main story a couple of days ago.  Putting the DLC on hold for a bit (got the complete edition, so both are included).  All in all, a fun game.  I'd put it just below INQUISITION, but that's still a good spot in my book.  A few wonky things that bugged me.  Didn't like the fast travel system and really hated that there were only two mastercrafters in the entire game.  The one at the Baron's Keep for armor is always a pain to get to because the fast travel point is outside the Keep and you have to continually run deep inside to get to that person.  Poor execution.  Those quibbles aside, I look forward to the DLC.

As a break, I'm playing SOUTH PARK: THE STICK OF TRUTH.  First time for me.  I've never been what one would call a fan of the show.  I get why it's been on for two decades (!), but it never really did anything for me.  So as someone who is neutral on the series, how does it play for me?  It's fantastic!  I'm laughing out loud and often at the inspired gameplay and the casual asides by other characters.  My favorite so far is when I was searching a house during one quest only to have Cartman say something to the effect of "Sure, be sure to check every nook and cranny while our friend is getting raped upstairs".  Such a commentary on gamers like myself!  The humor is, not surprising, decidedly adult and often pops up at the most unexpected times, like when you're randomly checking houses only to see some kind of sex act happening when you open a door.  It's just the kind of game I was looking for after several serious, RPG style games in a row.  I haven't even finished it and I'm looking forward to the sequel, SOUTH PARK: THE FRACTURED BUT WHOLE. 

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 10:31am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Stick of Truth is very very good, Fractured But Whole is unfortunately not.

Witcher started as a hardcore PC series and man some of that dna is carried over to Witcher 3. I agree with you on the crafters and the fast travel . Which ending did you get? I never played the DLC but apparently it is very good as well. 

God of War is a banger. I am LOVING this game.

RT

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Robin Taylor wrote:
I agree with you on the crafters and the fast travel . Which ending did you get?

Man, I'm so bad with names!  Ciri not only survived, but succeeded in defeating the White Frost.  She became a Witcher, not the ruler, and eventually went on her own.  With the help of Roche, Temeria became free.  Emhyr is still the ruler of Nilfgaard and ended up executing those who plotted against him.  Since I romanced both Triss and Yennefer, Geralt ended up with neither and is now wandering the roads alone occasionally reminiscing about what could have been.  Cerys An Craite is ruler of a prosperous Skellige that isn't constantly waging war.  I think that's it!

QUOTE:
Stick of Truth is very very good, Fractured But Whole is unfortunately not.

Huh.  I read reviews that it's almost as fun as the original. IGN Review. 79 Metascore. Without spoiling it, what didn't you like about it?  

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 1:00pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

This is hilarious Matt, you and I basically made all the same choices in a 100 hour game LOL I had the same ending(s).

The Fracture But Whole jettisoned the developer and mechanics of the first game and went more for a hex based Final Fantasy lite gameplay. I really like the 1st games mechanics and perhaps worse, the sequel is also nowhere near as funny or shocking. It feels like they are trying too hard. However I never finished the game.

RT

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 July 2018 at 11:44pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Now playing Hollow Knight on the Switch. 

This is a really well designed Metroidvania action adventure, with beautiful aesthetics and wonderfully detailed animation.

It's quite tough but I'm making progress and getting to grips with the mechanics. 

Here's a trailer:

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 9:10am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I downloaded Space Ace off Steam for a couple bucks. Loved the game as a kid (and Dragon's Lair) but was terrible at it. It's still fun as an adult and I'm still terrible at it!

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 July 2018 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I remember buying a ram upgrade for my Amiga 500 to run Space Ace. I thought my joystick was broken as the main character would not respond to my inputs. Took me some time realise you just hit a direction at the right moment.

<< Prev Page of 76 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version