TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 74 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Richard White wrote:
Matt - Did you know that a remake of the first Yakuza hits the PS4 at the end of the month? Wonderful series of games.

Lest you think I forgot, I did not.  Just took me a while to get to the game!  Just finished playing YAKUZA KIWAMI and it was fantastic!  Every bit as much fun, albeit a much older game, as YAKUZA 0. I love how Sega seamlessly integrated elements and key story points from 0 into the game, so much so that I'm really curious how the original played without 0 as the backdrop! As someone new to the franchise, I can't imagine it. 

I'm very excited to read that the second game has gotten the KIWAMI treatment. Looking forward to it being released stateside!  I know there are six games in the series, but how many are available for the PS4?  0, 1, 2 and 6?  My hope is they give the KIWAMI treatment to all of them because it's given me, a longtime gamer with zero knowledge of the franchise, a way in.  

Highly recommended!
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Robbie Parry wrote:
Haven't bought it, but read a review of STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT II in sci-fi magazine STARBURST. And reviews elsewhere, too.

Seems various reviewers, and governments, have had problems with microtransactions and loot boxes.

Haven't played SW:BFII but I have to say that microtransactions are what has soured me on phone/app based gaming. Developers tease you with a "free game" and then stick it to you with microtransactions that add up really fast...and they never stop.  You never get a "full version" of the game because there's always another set of power-ups or otherwise game advancing purchases you have to have in order to enjoy it.  Forced me to stop buying them altogether years ago.  I'd rather pay it all in one go ($59.99 for a newly released game with the option to purchase DLC) than forced game braking until you purchase an upgrade or "power boost" to get to the next level.  

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 6:56am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

My view is akin to yours, Matt.

I wonder, will it get worse? 

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 9:49pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Of course it will get worse. Despite all the negativity and backlash over the microtransaction business model, these games continue to rake in the money which means that game developers will continue to operate in that fashion.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Hey Matt - Glad you're enjoying the world of Yakuza!

I could seriously see 3,4,5 being ported to the PS4, it would certainly be nice to have them all on one system.

I'm really hoping we'll eventually get localised versions of Yakuza Kenzan and Yakuza Ishin, which transpose the familiar gameplay to 1600 Samurai era Japan.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Okay, who enjoyed the year 1992?

I dug out some old Amiga magazines earlier. Anyone ever own an Amiga?

I noticed a review (all 1992 issues) for BALANCE OF POWER and CRIME DOES NOT PAY.

Looking at the descriptions of those games, the word "influential" comes to mind. No specific point to make, just that when we think of all the thinking games now, which incorporate action as well as intrigue, I wonder how many were influenced by the games I mentioned.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2018 at 1:47am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I got an Amiga right at the end of the 80s. I went from a ZX Spectrum to an A500, the technological leap was huge.

Some all time favourite games were on the Amiga: Syndicate, Hired Guns, It Came From the Desert, The Settlers, Monkey Island 1 and 2, Alien Breed and so many more.

The Amiga during its heyday was so much better than the PCs (IBM compatibles as they were known then) of the time. Better sound, better graphics, the software would definitely run and while much on the PC still required you to enter commands via DOS, the Amiga did it all through its graphical user interface Workbench.

It was also the first computer I connected to the internet with, in the very early 90s.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2018 at 1:53am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

And this was the pack!

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2018 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Matt - I also meant to say there are some additions to Kiwami not found in the original that tie it a bit closer to 0.

Having played the first game on its original release I have to say 0, unlike many prequels, really enriched the story of the original and The Yakuza world in general.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2018 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Richard, I never saw that pack. Wow!

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2018 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

That pack boosted the Amiga sales in the UK massively, Batman was huge.

It made the Amiga the number 1 computer in Britain, surpassing the Atari ST which had an earlier launch.

Ocean's conversion of New Zealand story is excellent too.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 4:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Robbie's put me in the mood for indulging in a bit more nostalgia.

Having had my Amiga for a couple of years, I was becoming interested in the Japanese consojes that were starting to get more magazine coverage. NES and Sega Master System were out in the UK, with the latter being the most popular.

In Japan Sega had already released its follow up system, the Mega Drive and Nintendo had released details on its next system, the Super Famicom.

I started doing extra help around my folks' bed and breakfast and saved every penny I could. In 1991, I asked my parents for a Super Famicom for Christmas (and birthday which was 4 days after) after having saved up half the cost.

I then had to explain that the machine wasn't available on the high street but from one of the shady looking adverts in my video game magazines, these companies were known as grey importers.

And there on Christmas day was this:

Amazing piece of tech for its time with controllers that would heavily influence the future of video game joypads. 

Favourite games on the system include: Actraiser, Area 88, Super Mario World, Contra Spirits, Castlevania 4, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy VI, Axelay, Star Fox, Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Earthbound, Super Aleste and so many more!

Recently replayed several of those on the SNES Mini, it's great playing these games on a modern TV via HDMI. And for the most part they really hold up.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Fascinating insight, Richard (and this is the first time I've come across the term "grey importers"). 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Speaking of importing consoles, I just bought the EU version of the SNES Mini from Amazon.co.uk. With the current exchange rate, it cost me the same as buying the NA version locally, even with shipping.

I had not realized before this that all the international Amazon sites share the same login with the exception of Japan and China.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

So Michael, the question is, beautifully designed Super Famicom/ EU SNES or filthy American purple abomination?

I do love the two concave buttons on the US  SNES pads though.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2018 at 2:21pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

A nice little historical note, this failed collaboration between Nintendo and Sony would become the PSX, or PlayStation 1.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I went through some old boxes of magazines recently, I found some 1991/1992 issues of AMIGA FORMAT. 

Not an image of my collection (I find it hard to upload pics via a phone), but this cover, from March 1991, is awesome:

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

So Michael, the question is, beautifully designed Super Famicom/ EU SNES or filthy American purple abomination?

----

Both! the Super Famicom/EU SNES for the aesthetics and the NA SNES for the nostalgia. I'm justifying it by telling myself that the NA one is the one that the niece and nephew can play with.

I agree about the concave buttons.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 06 February 2018 at 9:58am

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Are you enjoying the Mini, Michael?

Loved Amiga Power, Robbie!

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

For the SNES, Super Play was my magazine of choice.

And Regular cover Artist, Wil Overton, is a member of this very forum!

Edited by Richard White on 06 February 2018 at 11:29am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Yes, but I hate that you have to reset the console to switch games. I might install the mod that lets you get back to the home screen. Or just plug in my Wii Classic Controller I have sitting around. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 February 2018 at 1:21pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Richard White wrote:
Loved Amiga Power, Robbie!

I smile when I think how technology has changed, specifically regarding cover discs.

I used to buy AMSTRAD ACTION, too. Whilst not all computer/video game magazines had free cover discs, quite a few did. 

Nowadays, you don't see such a thing. If there are any "extras", they'll be via the web. I subscribe to an astronomy magazine that used to do a cover disc, but nowadays their "extras" are available via their website.

Yet I loved something tangible. I loved ripping off the cover disc. Or having to complain to the store manager if a cover disc was missing. Plus, because it was tangible, you actually played it; with online extras, I doubt I even check some of them (the problem with doing anything on the internet is that you can easily become distracted by a cat video on YouTube!).

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2018 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

During the 8 bit era I was a Spectrum user and the magazines with cover tapes meant a lot to me, as it meant I could have new games and still have pocket money left over. This was particularly so during the waning years, as they started to include previously full price games on the tapes.

Michael - I had not thought of that solution to the games selection problem even though I use the SNES mini pads on my Wii U for the Virtual Console! Great idea!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 February 2018 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I owned an Amstrad, and used to buy AMSTRAD ACTION.

That publication attracted a lot of controversy when one month's cover disc was a game called HOW TO BE A COMPLETE BASTARD. You should have seen the letters pages in subsequent issues.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 February 2018 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

That's something I miss, the really eccentric British software of the 1980s. Where 1 or 2 people made up the entire development team and their personalities were stamped all over the games. Stuff like:

Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner, Horace Goes Skiing, the Dizzy games, Head Over Heels and Chuckie Egg.

<< Prev Page of 74 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version