Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 64 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Any PS3 owners interested in Playstation Plus?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I really enjoyed playing Lego Star Wars (Original Trilogy).  Was quite tickled to see this last Sunday at Anime Expo 2010 in Los Angeles:

It'd be nice if they came out with Lego Star Trek (TOS) or Lego BSG.

Back to Top profile | search

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm half-considering Playstation Plus... well, quarter-considering it... well, one-eighth-considering it. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 July 2010 at 11:06am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Playstation Plus doesn't look like it offers much to me, that is to say a gamer that doesn't use the connectivity of his PS3 all that often.  I'm not one for going to the PS Store already, so I'm not sure that ponying up $50 would get me to go more frequently.  Also as far as the free games offered are concerned, I'm a specific type of gamer.  I'm sure we all are.  We like what we like.  I'm also a stickler for good graphics, well thought out storylines, and compelling characters.  Free games are often none of the above.  They also tend to be in genres that don't interest me.  That is based, of course, on looking into other such programs and not on a comprehensive list of the content offered in this specific program.

In the end, I'll pass until and unless I hear if it's any good.

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Not a big fan of fighting games, but the Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is looking pretty interesting.

Doctor Doom and Super Skrull have been revealed. Here is a link with video.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 July 2010 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I needed some new Sandbox stuff so I got The Saboteur, Just Cause2, and Crackdown 2. That oughta' do me.
Back to Top profile | search | email

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I've got Just Cause 2 in the queue. Currently working through Prototype. 

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

How is Prototype working out for you, Robert? I got a deal on a copy a couple of months ago, but have not had a chance to play it.

John Leach
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 1:31pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I rented Just Cause 2 a couple weeks ago after playing the demo, and it's way cool!  HUGE area to run around in and cause chaos, and flying the helicopters and jets are a blast.

Robert Walsh
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2010 at 2:42pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Prototype is some serious mayhem and I'm having a blast with it. It's not really hard (there's actually an achievement for completing the game without dying and at the halfway mark, that's certainly doable), but some of the missions are a bit tricky.

Absolutely no redeeming moral value whatsoever, since you kill just about everything in your path, but you're constantly given new and fun ways to do that.  The story isn't much, just a conspiracy story that you're slowly filling in the blanks of after most of your memory was wiped.

It gets compared to Infamous a lot since they're both super-hero games, but they play quite differently. Prototype is more fun, but there's less emotional connection to the events. Infamous has deeper game play and a much better story, but isn't nearly as much fun getting around the city and using your powers. You're basically a god in Prototype, running up buildings, throwing cars around, and there's tons of new powers you can buy.

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2010 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I have been playing a massive amount of games in the last 6 months and I agree with the comments above for the most part. RDR was one of the longest and most satisfying games I have played in a while, Blur and Split/Second are both fun but Blur has more longevity as a "grown-up" Mario Kart.

I recently beat Singularity and Alpha Protocol and both of them kind of looked like crap (texture pop, or low-rez textures) but they both have excellent stories. Alpha is a real struggle to have fun in as the mechanics are nearly broken but if you dig story heavy games its a worth it.

Bayonetta is a Devil May Cry clone that is a love letter to classic Sega games so if you are into hyperkinectic gameplay it might be for you.

Just Cause 2 has the worst voice acting and story I have seen in a while but the open world goofyness is really empty popcorn fun. Crackdown 2 is EXACTLY like the first game so if you dug Crackdown you might like it or you might be turned off by the exactness.

I have Metro 2033 and Left 4 Dead 2 yet to play on my steam account (have to clear some space from the hard drive).

Darksiders is a cross platform game that feels better on PS3 because the battle mechanics are exactly like God Of War. Like Singularity it steals from the best of the best, incorporating GOW, Metroid and Zelda elements in an interesting story. The graphics are little unpolished coming from a new studio but it is a compelling fun game.

Limbo is a trippy Grimms Fairy-like tale told in deep focus silohuette with only blacks and greys as the color palette.Its this year's Braid as the "art" indie game that breaks the mainstream. At $15 and a short running time I am not sure if the experience is worth the value, but the demo is worth a lock.

PSN Plus is Sony's weak and desperately late attempt to mimic Xbox Live, but lacks the infrastructure and stringent QA Microsoft demands of Xbox Live.I see no value to PSN plus until Sony jumps in whole hog and makes their online experience singular across all games on the platform.

RT

Back to Top profile | search | www | email

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 July 2010 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Played the demo of DC Universe Online at SDCC, and it was different from what I was expecting. I was thinking it would be similar to City of Heroes and Champions Online, but the gameplay was more like the Marvel Ultimate Alliance and X-Men Legends series, but with online multiplayer. The demo was just for the PVP arenas, so I didn't see how they incorporated the MMO elements like inventories, leveling, and missions.

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

I know it has been out for a while, but I started SW: Force Unleashed again. I think seeing demos of the sequel made me want to give it another chance. Don't know why, but I like it a lot better this time around.

After Robert's kind words about Prototype, may get into that one next. If it is even just a little bit like Infamous, I think I am going to dig it.

Has anyone tried ModNation Racers for the PS3?

Kevin Hagerman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Well, about two weeks ago I bought a Wii.

I love it.  I only play the Sports game that came with it and Madden 10, but I just love it.  And playing with the Wiimote actually makes me move a bit, and I need all the exercise I can get!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Just bought Singularity on Robin's recommendation.  Haven't played a first person shooter in awhile, so I'll tackle that once I'm done with Lego Harry Potter which should be in a day or so.

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

[Protoype] is good for general mayhem but like inFamous the story is both a bit weak AND pretentious. Sneaking into military bases and running from soldiers never really works quite like it's supposed to (soldiers are pretty stupid when you change shape) And the boss battles in [Prototype] are kind of awful at times. Especially the last one. Lock-on sometimes has a mind of it's own.

But for just running around killing stuff and grabbing vehicles to kill more stuff it's pretty good.

[Protoype] is probably at it's base a bit more fun than inFamous  lb./per lb. because it has a wider variety of stuff to do overall (inFamous is pretty stuck on it's wall crawling mechanics and electricity as a weapon and doesn't let you use guns or vehicles or pick stuff up and throw it but it still lets you shoot and do area attacks and do melees that increase in power or armor yourself up) but it has some significant problems. inFamous is a better focused design and probably a bit more polished and has a better feeling of mission variety. 

From my perspective, both are good games. If you like a coherent narrative and a stronger sense of a setting with its own particular rules, and a simpllistic but funcational moral system governening your apporach and how your powers work, you'll probably prefer inFamous over [Protoytpe]. If you like a broader pallette of 'stuff to do' when sandboxing around (like me) and grotesque mayhem awards for it, then you'll probably favor [Prototype] over inFamous. 

BTW, SPOILERS:  [Protoype] does attempt to have a sort of (cheap and dishonest)  moral at the end and does not look on it's ghoulishly unstable anti-hero at all kindly suggesting that while he does exhibit a significant change of heart, he(it) does so a bit too late, which leaves him (it) miserable and damned in many respects. It reminds me of Alan Moore and Rick Veitch's "expanding god-like post human" Swamp Thing in some ways.

Personally of the three sandbox games that came out in the Summer of 2009, I prefer Red Faction: Guerilla since it has really decent multiplayer and a reasonable progressing and over all the better gimmick and mechanics and still has a lot of fun with the mayhem. But all three of them are missing some significant 'parts' from the 'perfect super-powered/sci-fi- augmented guy against the world sandbox game' puzzle. 

Hopefully inFamous 2 will add some more stuff to do to the list.

Edited by Emery Calame on 29 July 2010 at 11:01am
Back to Top profile | search | email

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:12am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Question for the consol gamers out there:  Do you buy a game first and foremost for it's multiplayer, on-line ability, or do you buy them for a start-to-finish campaign mode where you work through a story yourself?

For me, I couldn't give a rat's ass about multiplayer on-line functionality.  I've tried to play that style of game in the past and I really hate it.  I could maybe see the advantage in getting together a group of real friends to play that way, but not blindly jumping into a firefight.  That's why games like World of Warcraft or City of Heroes have held absolutely no interest for me. The only appealing thing about on-line functionality for me, beyond the obvious updates to games, are with sports titles.  The ability to play my former roommate and long time friend in a game of Madden or Tiger Woods is cool.  That I get.  MMORG is something that never appealed to me in grade school when D&D first first hit the scene, so it doesn't appeal to me now and isn't a factor in the kinds of games I buy.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Wanted to add that although I referenced grade school and D&D, it was in no way a knock on people who do like RPG's.  It was an attempt to date myself, in this case D&D came out when I was in grade school in the 70s, and in no way to say that if you like RPG's then you are at a grade school level.

Knowing the 'net, I had to clarify!

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:49am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Matt:...once I'm done with Lego Harry Potter which should be in a day or so.

I've almost picked that up about five times! Do you mind letting me know what you think?

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I find that I want to try to beat a game offline before trying multiplayer mode. For racing games (Burnout Paradise being one of my favorite), you kinda have to...because typically your online opponents already beat the game so they have the best cars and you can't hope to keep up unless you do the same. That said, I have yet to put in enough time to beat it.

Still never finished GTA4...I go through phases with that. Played multiplayer a few times, though, and it's a lot of fun....especially trying to run down as many people as you can with your car.

Dwayne Gassmann
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Do you buy a game first and foremost for it's multiplayer, on-line ability, or do you buy them for a start-to-finish campaign mode where you work through a story yourself?

I pretty much have the same opinion the you do, Matt. A start-to-finish campaign mode is what I am most interested in. Multiplayer is okay, but I usually play a local game and not online. That is what I like about the Wii. There are a lot of G-rated games that the whole family can play and they are fun for everyone, not just the kids. There are only a couple of games like that for the 360 and PS3. 

Maybe it is because I am 43, but online play holds not interest for me. I have a couple of friends on XBOX Live, but we have never played a game together. I think is is because our interest are a little different and it is hard to find a game that everyone has. Although, I think one of them does have Magic: The Gathering. Hmmm.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

William Roberge wrote:
 Matt Reed wrote:
...once I'm done with Lego Harry Potter which should be in a day or so.

I've almost picked that up about five times! Do you mind letting me know what you think?

Love it.  Tons of fun.  It's different from the other Lego games in that there isn't much fighting to be had.  Characters discover and puzzle solve a lot more than fight the bad guys.  There are boss battles, but those are the closest you'll get to fighting.  Very in keeping with the books.  I suspect there will be more fighting the older Harry gets, also like the books. 

That said, the game play is fantastic.  The two different "hubs" are cool.  You've got Hogwarts, which also serves as the place where you learn wizarding lessons to help you out on adventures 'natch, as well as The Leaky Cauldron, where you buy characters you've found, new spells, as well as see your progress throughout the game.  The story is very close to the original, the character designs are pitch perfect, and the world is rather large.  As with all Lego games, the replayability is also huge.  If you've played any other Lego games, you know there are certain places where you can't go until you learn certain things or discover specific characters.  That's where I am right now.  I've gone through once and am now going through a second time using everything I now know in order to get everything in the game.

If you've enjoyed past Lego games, you'll enjoy this one.  Fun and highly recommended.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Dwayne Gassmann wrote:
Maybe it is because I am 43, but online play holds not interest for me.

Maybe that's the reason 'cause I'm 43 as well!  Don't know how true that is, however, because RPG came into vogue in the 70s with the height of their popularity in the 80s.  That puts us squarely in the demo that played them, but they have never appealed to me.  Not on paper in a dark basement and not on video games with thousands of players. 

William Roberge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 12:21pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Thanks Matt.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 29 July 2010 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

For me, the online multi-player aspect is a must.  Although I do spend a decent amount of time playing solo in even a MMO, the multi-player aspect is what makes the game memorable.  Playing with other people drastically changes the dynamics of the game.  I can play with a group of friends and we work together like a well-oiled machine, or a random "pick-up" group that is chaotic and hectic, and those are completely different experiences than me playing solo.  In the same game.  In the same mission.  You can't beat that kind of variety.

<< Prev Page of 64 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version