Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 167 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2020 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I really like the Metro series but Exodus kinds of thins out the formula to make it more accessible. If you haven't tried it The Outer Worlds is probably very much your jam.

RT
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 January 2020 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Deeper into METRO EXODUS.  Liking it a little bit more, but it's a slog at times.  I think I would have been upset if I'd paid full price, but I got it for $10 so I'm fine with it.  An OK time killer while I wait for something better.  
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 12 January 2020 at 1:04am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Any thoughts here on THE RESIDENT EVIL 2 remaster?  I bought it via the sale on PS based on reviews, but haven't heard from those I trust.  Full disclosure, I think I played exactly one RE game back in the day and never got past the final big bad.  Don't think it was RE2, so this would be a new experience for me.

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2020 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The RE2 remake is outstanding. I am playing on it pc but it is gorgeous and uses the same engine as RE7. I don't have much love for the early RE games but I like 4,5 and 7 a lot. It's tense and keeps some of the more annoying aspects of the original like the save system and ammo scarcity.

Highly recommend if you like survival horror.

RT

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 15 January 2020 at 6:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm sure most have heard, but just in case, Square Enix THE AVENGERS has been delayed.  Pushed from a May to September release.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

OK.  Full disclosure.  I'm deeper into METRO EXODUS (at the desert level now) and I'm finding that I'm liking it quite a bit.  Still not a huge fan of weapons management nor how sparse materials are (although that may have to do with my difficulty settings) but it's turning into a compelling post-apocalyptic journey.  I'm actually keen on getting back into it when I'm away, so that's definitely a good sign.  

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 19 January 2020 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Taking a break from the latest Star Wars game (because I HATE the gameplay
controls), I just finished up DOCTOR WHO: THE EDGE OF TIME for PSVR. Fun
game...good use of the VR platform. More puzzle solving Doctor-y kinds of
things, given the genre. Some GREAT visual VR moments...and walking into a
VR TARDIS...well...that was just pretty sweet. The gameplay is about 30
minutes total +/-...which seems to be around the standard right now. Would
certainly prefer longer games, but given the need to wear the headset, the
movement aspects, and the vertigo some people get, I understand why they er
on the side of caution. Looking forward to the (now delayed) IRON MAN VR
release later this year.

Currently playing SNIPER GHOST WARRIOR CONTRACTS. Full admission...I
love sniper games (the SNIPER ELITE series is a blast for co-op, if that's your
thing) and this one, while not my favorite, is definitely giving me my money's
worth. The problem I have is some quirky gameplay issues...getting stuck
where there's nothing to get stuck on/in, and a couple of crashes (not happy I
had to redo an entire mission after a LONG time accomplishing it). Getting
past the glitches, if you like stealth play, this is the game. It elevates the typical
sniper game challenge level WAY up. Stealth is key...no other way about it...and
you pretty much have to plan for every bullet. Between a LOT of enemies,
counter-snipers, surveillence drones, CCTV, and automated defenses...a single
mission within a "contract" can take hours to complete. Also added in to this
game is the load-out option...only accessible immediately prior to starting a
contract...makes you choose between improvements to try to best manage
what you think you'll be up against as well as environmental conditions. Some
limited opportunity if you choose something wrong (i.e., swap out grenade
types or other weapons), but you live or die with your choices. If the software
quality was up to the SNIPER ELITE level, with the SE co-op capability, this
would be a game Matt and I would be playing for a LOOOONG time.

I'll probably give WITCHER 3 a shot next, based on recommendation.

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 January 2020 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I really really like the Sniper Elite series. They kind of filled the Hitman itch before Hitman came back.

Witcher 3 is great but has a slow start. If you aren't digging Fallen Order controls you might find Witcher 3 a little annoying as well

RT

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 22 January 2020 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm with Bob on the FALLEN ORDER controls.  Didn't stop me from finishing the game, but they were often frustrating (as I noted a page or so back).  Didn't have the same feeling of frustration with WITCHER 3 however.  

Quick Note:  I may have been too harsh on METRO EXODUS.  Although I think it's a rough transition for someone who has never played the series, as I get deeper into the game it's turning out to be a ton of fun.  When the world finally opens up in a way that allows you to transverse it in a more compelling and satisfying manner is when it's at it's best...at least for me.  Reviews have said it's a 30 hour game, but that's a fairly absurd and arbitrary number.  I'm well past that with so much more left to explore. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 January 2020 at 2:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Finished METRO EXODUS.  Really good game bordering on excellent...at times.  It definitely has highs and lows, but the story it chooses to tell is all good.  I think this was probably a good entry for me in the series as I wasn't the biggest fan of going through tunnels with a single dim light to guide my way (the bookends of this entry) and found it exceedingly tedious to have to continuously use a hand-pump charger to boost the energy to feed the light.  Cute for the first 50 times I did it, not so fun the next bajillion.  I get that it lends to the mood and atmosphere, but at the end of the day it's just business that I have to deal with (like pumping up the pressure on a gun or flamethrower) and doesn't add to to the overall enjoyment of the game.  Sorry, but it feels oddly arbitrary in a world 15 years ahead of us where lithium batteries have been around for decades and should be abundant.  

All that said, I did enjoy the scares and the claustrophobic nature of the game aided in large part by the sound design, which is fantastic. I love a good first person shooter but especially one that turns that experience on its head, which I think this game does.  Also, as annoying as it was to sit through long stretches of conversation split up into pieces broken up by weird pauses, what you learned about the world made it all worth it. Leveling up guns and ammo was seamless, although losing night vision goggles halfway through the game again seemed arbitrary and capricious given your character had access to every other weapon and upgrade found in the world before and after via the crafting bench.  Either play by the rules for everything or don't.  Don't pick and choose.  

At the end of the day, I'd recommend this game.  It's fun with the caveat that it's frustrating for newbies to jump on board with the third installment, something I think other franchises (like ASSASSIN'S CREED, UNCHARTED, and TOMB RAIDER among others) have done a much better job of handling. The story drives this game and at that, it exceeds expectations.  I felt for characters I only just met and was concerned for their fate after a relatively short time with them.  That, in and of itself, is the mark of a good game.  

Robin Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2020 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I am 40 hours in Assassin's Creed Odyssey and it shows no sign of being close to the end. It's frustrating because its gotten so far from the premise of AC as a franchise and the story isn't great. Kassandra is a rad character, but the core gameplay loop is super repetitive.

RT

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 29 January 2020 at 6:44am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Although I understand the repetitive complaint to a point, I had a blast with ODYSSEY.  Along with ORIGINS, they're my two favorite games in the long running franchise.  

<< Prev Page of 167 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version