Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 165 Next >>
Topic: Speaking of video games... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 August 2019 at 1:42am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

To your inviso-texted question...no. Arthur meets the same fate no matter how you play the game, it's just how he meets that end that is different.  His fate is inevitable and, in fact, spurs John's arc.  
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 06 August 2019 at 1:57am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

As for me, having long finished RDR2 (and with a few other games completed), I discovered DOOM.  Let me give you some backstory.  DOOM was long a computer game not a console game.  I've always and forever subscribed to console, so I never played it.  I did, however, play its cousin WOLFENSTEIN.  Why?  I dunno. I just glommed onto it more.  

Flashforward to a couple years ago, id and Bethesda reimagined DOOM for a new generation and I was hooked.  It's a fucking tough game even on normal.  I loved it.  

So imagine my surprise when they released the original games for $4.99  (DOOM 1 & 2) and the third for $9.99 literally out-of-the-blue jut a few weeks ago?  Holy shit! I was, and still am, a huge fan of the WOLFENSTEIN series and this was more of the same.  They are crazy first person shooter fun.  To say that I'm obsessed would be an understatement.  

So, yeah, a 25 year-old DOOM series has become my most recent obsession.  Sue me.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 August 2019 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Tangent, but Doom VFR for the PS4+VR has an unlockable level rendered like the original game - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnDel-fmA1g

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 06 August 2019 at 5:44pm

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 06 August 2019 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oohhhhhh....
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 06 August 2019 at 10:39pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

To your inviso-texted question...no. Arthur meets the same fate no matter how
you play the game, it's just how he meets that end that is different. His fate is
inevitable and, in fact, spurs John's arc.
I DID really like that how you "lived" directly impacted the course of your life
and that there were variable outcomes based on decisions and behavior.

Just incredible...my only problem is after I wrap the epilogue...what do I play
next???

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2019 at 4:33am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Currently playing Judgement on the PS4 from Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio who produce the Yakuza series, of which this is a spin off.

This time you play the role of a former legal attorney turned private detective, investigating the serial killings of Yakuza members.

This of course entails lots of fighting, bizarre side quests and trips to the arcade to play vintage Sega games.

Added to the Yakuza formula is, investigation and interrogation, safe cracking and drone flying.

Having a great time with this one.   

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 August 2019 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

So, yeah, a 25 year-old DOOM series has become my most recent obsession.  Sue me.

I right there with you, man. The new DOOM is one bad ass game that re-sparked my love of the franchise.

I picked up Marvel's Ultimate Alliance 3 for the Switch, but I haven't played it yet.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 08 August 2019 at 1:59am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Richard White wrote:
Currently playing Judgement on the PS4 from Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio who produce the Yakuza series, of which this is a spin off.

You're the best, Richard.  Thanks for turning me on to games I've never heard of but know I'll love.  YAKUZA is fantastic, so I'm sure I'll love JUDGEMENT.  

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 August 2019 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I'm really glad you love the series Matt. What's crazy is that Sega nearly stopped bringing the games over but thanks to a turnaround we're getting spinoff like Judgement and even licenced stuff like Fist of the North Star.

I'd be interested to see how you'd get on with Shenmue, the series that heavily influenced Yakuza and much of the open world genre. 

It's a game that's trailblazing and yet superceded and somewhat dated but wow, what the Shenmue team created in 1999.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 1:58am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Shenmue?  What?  Please do tell!  I have a great love of retro games, as my previous post about DOOM would lead you to believe.  So what is this "Shenmue" that you speak of?  And is it available for PS?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 2:08am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Richard White wrote:
What's crazy is that Sega nearly stopped bringing the games over but thanks to a turnaround we're getting spinoff like Judgement and even licenced stuff like Fist of the North Star.

I've heard that it's possible that YAKUZA 3-5 will not get the Dragon Engine update which, on its face, seems crazy.  They sucked me in with Zero.  They got me to buy 1 & 2 and then want to sell me with the next three installments without the Dragon Engine update?  Just a direct port of a PS2 to PS4 game?!?  I bought YAKUZA 6 because it was so cheap via the PS store, but I want to play them in order because it's a story.  But from what I've read, 3-5 won't get the express treatment.  Disappointing. 

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 August 2019 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Right Matt, first off Shenmue 1 and 2 saw an HD remaster release on the PS4 this year, so it's once again easily accessible.

The original game came out in 1999 for the Sega Dreamcast (development having begun on the Sega Saturn) and was directed by Yu Suzuki who had created arcade classics like After Burner, Out Run and Virtua Fighter.

Shenmue had initially started as Virtua Fighter RPG before it became its own thing. The story begins in Japan in the 80s, where we witness the murder of a Karate instructor in front of his teenage son. From there we play as Ryu Hazuki searching for his father's murderer and the reason it happened.

At the time of its release it was one of the most expensive games ever made and though it sold over a million copies it was not enough to cover the costs. Multiple sequels were planned to tell the entire story, though only a second game which had been concurrently developed with the first, would appear in the early  2000s. After the most successful video game kickstarter ever, we'll finally be getting Shenmue 3 this year. 

Though you can see the DNA of Shenmue in Yakuza, it's also quite a different beast, far more tranquil, moody and subdued. But there's also the street fights, set pieces and vintage Sega games that we would see in Yakuza.

I love the Shenmue games Matt but I can't go out on limb and say get them, like with Judgement, because they're clearly games where the ambitions of the creators are huge but aren't always been successful. There's nothing quite like them though! 

<< Prev Page of 165 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version