Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 62 Next >>
Topic: More Star Trek Models from Round 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 June 2018 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

What does it say that the titular starship of DISCOVERY isn’t one of the options? That’s pretty weird.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

...okay, I looked into the Wonderfest news, and Discovery is one of the options. Not that I care.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

All these models serve only to remind me that every change to the original design has made it more, well, designy and less practical.
Back to Top profile | search

Ron Goad
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 June 2018 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

^ That's been the issue with a lot of sci fi that's been around for years.

Any "update" seems to drag a solid design down to the same level as lesser work that came after it...

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 04 June 2018 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It struck me several years back that each new design seemed predicated upon making less breakable toys. (Until Jar Jar stepped in, and gave us an "Enterprise" even MORE fragile than the original!)

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Somehow I missed the K'Tinga announcement!  Why would people want 1:!400? Just cost?  It would be kind of interesting to get the new funky enterprise.  It's funny all the people that say the  ship looks right in STD, the mock up pictures reall show how far off it really is. If this had be the Jar Jar-prise I would have been a lot happier with the movie. 

frm the commnets section for the DIscovery announcement: "Given the accepted size of the TOS-E of 289 m, the Discovery Enterprise is approximately 66% bigger." Yep sound like canon to me! 

Edited by Joe Boster on 14 June 2018 at 1:09pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 3:52pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I think that the relatively small size (at least compared to STD and JJTREK) of the TOS Enterprise is a big point in its favor.

The ship being about the size of an aircraft carrier gives a better sense of scale and relatability than the monster ships of later iterations.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Y'know, now that I think about it, I cannot recall a single TOS shot that gave a clear sense of the SIZE of the ship. BIG was about all we got!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

About the only scale references I can think of would be the Bridge zoom-in shot from “The Cage”, and those occasions when we saw the windows from inside the ship (such as the hangar deck observation corridor in “The Conscience of The King”). Seeing the windows on the exterior would then give an impression of scale, which was the whole point, since Jefferies’ design was original windowless. Roddenberry wanted them added to give that quick sense of scale.

There’s also Sulu’s description of the buoy-cube’s dimensions in “The Corbomite Maneuver” (with each side of the cube being 107 meters), but the exterior shots of the cube next to the Enterprise make it look way too small...or maybe they just make the Enterprise look too HUGE!

I have a feeling those helpful illustrations in THE MAKING OF STAR TREK did a good job of making the ship’s size very clear to all of those early fans of the show! Of course, to this very day, flame wars rage across the World Wide Web regarding whether or not Jefferies’ 947’ ship actually meshes properly with the interior sets and the VFX models. This is the point where one needs to step back and remember that crossing every “t” and dotting every “i” on the ship’s blueprints was not Jefferies’ primary job concern!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 14 June 2018 at 10:06pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 14 June 2018 at 10:16pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That zoom shot is pretty much worthless as an indicator of scale. I tried fitting my Bridge model to my the shot (with the elevator way out of alignment) and it didn't match at all.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 1:08am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As a rough indicator, I think it did the job well enough. We know how big the Bridge interior is, since the show spent so much time there. It was about 30’ in diameter. The exterior Bridge dome seen on the VFX model was very easy detail to spot at first glance, and was presumably supposed to be around the same size as the interior set (with accommodations for mechanics and whatnot).

As the story goes, Roddenberry wanted the Bridge on top of the ship as a quick and easy scale reference, which is why the pilot opened with that zoom-in shot. It immediately shows where the Bridge is located, and gives a rough sense of the ship’s overall size, assuming that exterior dome was around 30-40’ in diameter.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2018 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

By the way, here’s a very interesting thread from Enterprise expert David Shaw, discussing the evolution of the ship’s design. The topic of the Bridge and its relationship with the ship’s theoretical scale begins on page three.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

oooo, fascinating stuff! So the bridge is sunk into b deck for the series. facinating. I like how the CGI is just taking sort of the idea of the 11 foot enterprise but gets sevearl bit wrong. but seem like it may be closer to the Jeffries plans. 

What source are the round 2 models suppoed to be more accurate to? and does thus mean the AMT model isn't as wonky compared to jeffries plans as it would seem?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 June 2018 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The AMT model was specifically based upon the plans Jefferies made, which appeared in THE MAKING OF STAR TREK. Indeed, the plans were apparently drawn for the express purpose of being used as reference by AMT in designing the kit.

I do believe that the 1/350 and 1/1000 Polar Lights models use Jefferies 947’ ship as their basis. Some cheating was done to get the hangar deck interior to fit in the 1/350 kit, since the hangar miniature built for TOS was larger than would be possible to fit inside the theoretical 947’ ship. And, of course, both Polar Lights models are based directly on the 11’ filming miniature, albeit with a finished port side.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Agsin I think back to those glory days when everything wasn't promoted months in advance. So I was able to walk into the toy department of Woodward's department store and see the AMT Enterprise on the shelf with no prior knowledge it was coming!

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 10:18am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Similarly, when Franz Joseph's Enterprise blueprints first appeared in bookstores, they sold out on the first day because retailers had no sense of how many copies they should have ordered.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 22 June 2018 at 10:38am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

I don't want to be that grumpy old guy (tho some days it seems I have no choice!), but I you kids today have no idea whay it was like, time upon a once. The thrill of the hunt, hitting several outlets looking for new comics (or the second hand book store looking for old ones -- at a nickel a pop!). Checking out the new plastic models with no idea what was coming. Finding THE MAKING OF STAR TREK on the rack at K-Mart.

Good times!

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Even though I have the Bandai and Polar Lights kits, I still had to pick this up when it was reissued with the original box cover for the 50th Anniversary...

It certainly took me back to my childhood.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 11:25am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

That AMT kit was a revelation (ahem). So many details I'd not seen on the TV.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 11:37am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I have great fondness for the AMT kit, since it was one of the first models I ever had, when I was a kid. Inaccurate to the studio miniatures and not structurally well-engineered, yes, but it still has a special place in the hearts of many!

I’ve considered grabbing one of the more recent reissues with the retro box art, but I think it would be way cooler to find an original issue of the kit. It’s a small but important piece of TREK history.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2018 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

My first kit was the shuttle. My 1st Enterprise was ST:IV I don't think I might have had a kit in the 70s but I might have traded it for the Galactica. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2018 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

New images of the upcoming 1/1000 Klingon Bird of Prey/U.S.S. Grissom two-pack from Round 2:

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2018 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Despite being deep into model kits from certain anime space franchise for the past 5 years, I'll definitely have to pick up that 1/1000 BoP and Grissom, as well as the upcoming 1/350 K'Tinga.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 July 2018 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

I'm annoyed that I picked up a 1/1000 resin Grissom garage kit just before this kit was announced. I'll probably have to pick it up, too.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 August 2018 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Yeah, Bill, those Yamato2199/2202 kits are spectacular aren't they!?

Must build all the 1/1000 stuff. The perfect size for me! 

<< Prev Page of 62 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version