Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 131 Next >>
Topic: More Star Trek Models from Round 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2012 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

So, I was going out to get the mail a few minutes ago, and a UPS truck pulled right up in front of me as I opened my mailbox.

The driver then handed me a package. A BIG package. From Round 2.

At last!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 November 2012 at 12:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2012 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Got mine today!! Yay!. But my box is damaged. Stupid UPS. Now I have to contact round 2 and see what to do. 

Your Ventura is coming along very nicely. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 5:54am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Got mine today!! Yay!. But my box is damaged. Stupid UPS. Now I have to contact round 2 and see what to do.

Okay, I have to ask --- why does it matter if the BOX was damaged? Presumably, since you make no comment to that effect, the model parts inside were unharmed?

Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

My box was fine. I got kit # 109 of 1,701.

I can see how box damage might be a problem, though, since the (full-color) painting and decaling instructions are on the sides of the inner/lower box section. Are you planning on keeping yours mint in box or something, Joe?

As for the kit itself...

Holy. Crap.

I haven't started test-fitting or anything like that. Need to get a good set of sprue-cutters before I do anything else. I just opened the plastic bag containing the saucer halves. I'm not gonna be coming anywhere near this baby for a long time, except for the purpose of examining the parts and planning.

They packed a LOT of stuff into the box! The windows take up a good chunk of room, since there are three optional sets (clear, smoked black, opaque white). The pilot parts also take up a good chunk of room. I would image that the standard editions' boxes will be a little less cramped.

The kit's plastic is thick. I mean, THICK. This thing is clearly well-engineered, with all sorts of internal braces and structures to avoid warped parts and/or sagging.

As for the much-discussed gridlines...they're really not a big deal. Very thin, and very shallow. From a few feet away, they're virtually invisible. And they shouldn't be hard to fill, if one so desires.

This kit is phenomenally comprehensive. Virtually every possible variant and option a modeler could want is covered, for the pilots, series, and beyond. The presentation is exceptionally classy, from the box to the letter from Round 2's president.

Now, it's a matter of waiting for the accessory sets, and whatever else the aftermarket brings.

I am very anxious to see the amazing builds and variants that people start churning out.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This kit is phenomenally comprehensive. Virtually every possible variant and option a modeler could want is covered, for the pilots, series, and beyond.

So, I could buy one of these, built it with the "tall" bridge and the "small" antennae dish, and make your head explode?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yes.

Yes, you could.

Sigh.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 2:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"So, I could buy one of these, built it with the "tall" bridge and the "small" antennae dish, and make your head explode? "

I thought one had to pre-order one of the first 1701 kits to receive the parts for the first and second pilots versions of the Enterprise.  So thankfully, I believe JB's chance to get under our skin has already passed.  Whew!

I am displeased that the lighting and nacelle motor kit will cost as much as the model itself.  Not sure if I can afford all those in addition to the kit.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 2:59pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Being a bit jealous of those who are getting this kit...  I'll have wait until the re-release, since a certain overseas SF franchise is eating up my modeling budget...  ;)

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 21 November 2012 at 3:00pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 10:42pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Sorry to rub salt in the wound, Bill, but this came to mind when I received mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrhe9KO8Z1Y

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 10:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I thought one had to pre-order one of the first 1701 kits to receive the parts for the first and second pilots versions of the Enterprise.  So thankfully, I believe JB's chance to get under our skin has already passed.  Whew!

++++++++

Nope. The Premiere kit comes with the pilot parts, but they will also be available as separate add-ons for the standard kit.

Mr. Byrne seems to have an almost fetishistic desire to see my cranium go boom. I remain happy to disappoint!

A rivet-counter I may be, but I have no desire to pass judgement on those who deviate from super-accuracy. In point of fact, I rather enjoy seeing the creative variants people come up with.

The 1/1000 model also comes with pilot parts, and is a kitbasher's dream. I've incorporated a few of my many spare 1/1000 parts into my Ventura.

I'm also rather fond of John Payne's exceptional work:

http://www.inpayne.com/models/models.html

He's probably the undisputed master of the 1/1000 TOS kitbash. I mean, he's done a TON of them. He also designed the awesome "Bird of Payne" D-7 design, which graces a model I showed off here, some time ago. I think his design looks way cooler than the upcoming Round 2 Romulan D-7.

And, hey, who knows--maybe that big bridge-small dish configuration did appear at some point in the ship's fictional history! Who's to say it didn't?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 November 2012 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Here are some comparison shots of the kit with the Master Replicas model (which is also 1/350):

http://www.therpf.com/f11/1-350-tos-e-happening-115892/index 27.html#post2598135

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 21 November 2012 at 11:12pm

<< Prev Page of 131 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version