Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 59 Next >>
Topic: More Star Trek Models from Round 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 12:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Yet another example of the "designy" attitude that came to infect TREK.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 February 2018 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I know a lot of people feel that the TOS Enterprise had a panel pattern which was “really” painted over to create the clean, smooth finish we know. Some latter-day productions (such as the Remastered episodes) have even retroactively applied a panel pattern to the hull.

Me, I like the idea that the ship’s hull really was completely smooth and seamless, be it either due to advanced panel-welding/assembly techniques, or maybe even some kind of 3-D hull-printing technique.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 19 February 2018 at 5:18pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2018 at 12:53am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Some in-progress shots:

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Looking good! 

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Greg: "I know a lot of people feel that the TOS Enterprise had a panel pattern which was “really” painted over to create the clean, smooth finish we know."

That idea drives me bananas. The first time I remember encountering it was in Shane Johnson's MR. SCOTT'S GUIDE TO THE ENTERPRISE. If memory serves, he posited that, during the pre-TMP refit, Scotty and his engineers simply decided to leave the gray paint off the ship, in order to save hundreds of metric tons of weight. That never struck me as a particularly good in-universe explanation. (Why, then, was she "painted" in the first place?)

Edited by Ted Downum on 21 March 2018 at 11:20am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 February 2018 at 5:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

They took the time and trouble to weather the Enterprise model and add the gridlines to the saucer, after the pilots. If they'd wanted to add panel lines and whatnot, they could have done so. It was a stylistic choice not to.

Going from sleek and smooth to superdetailed and Aztec-patterned is like going from an iPad (three buttons, touchscreen, and Wi-Fi) to a 1980s Apple PC (wired computer, keyboard, and monitor).

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2018 at 10:54pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well, the new 1/350 kit from Round 2 has been revealed:

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Personally, I wouldn't spend a hundred bucks on a K't'inga model, but the prototype's nice-looking.

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 8:52am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

1/350 K'tinga will be awesome!!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 11:00am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Finished painting and weathering the Intrepid. Just need to decal it, now. 

One thing I’m having trouble deciding on—The CGI Remastered Enterprise model features a somewhat inaccurate hull lettering font when compared to the USAF font used for the original Enterprise miniatures. The aftermarket decals I normally use (from PNT models) is accurate to the 11-footer, whereas JT Graphics’ decals (which I also have) appear a bit closer to the Remastered look.

Since I’m basing this model on the Remastered look, I’m leaning toward going with the JT Graphics decals, although I prefer the look of the PNT decals. The JT decals would make this model stick out, compared to my other builds. The slightly different font would also fit with my head-canon backstory, with the ship being of Vulcan construction. A slight variation in the lettering.

I should also note the a CGI Intrepid appears in the Remastered “Court Martial”, but without any of the Vulcan hull markings I’m planning on adding. This is why I’m not going overboard with changing the usual hull markings. The idea being that the Vulcan-specific markings could quickly be removed if the ship were to be reassigned to a non-Vulcan crew.

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 12:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Your comment raises an old spectre in my brain: why wouldn't a Vulcan crew have a ship with a Vulcan name?

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 3:06pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Going from sleek and smooth to superdetailed and Aztec-patterned is like going from an iPad (three buttons, touchscreen, and Wi-Fi) to a 1980s Apple PC (wired computer, keyboard, and monitor).

•••

Yes, somebody should detail the CATACLYSM that forced them to do that.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2018 at 5:16pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Your comment raises an old spectre in my brain: why wouldn't a Vulcan crew have a ship with a Vulcan name?
++++++++++++

The Intrepid has held a certain, er, fascination for me ever since I saw "The Immunity Syndrome". It's mentioned very casually that the ship has a Vulcan crew, but we're never given anything beyond that.

Of course, the Starfleet of TOS was very Earth-centric, being produced by humans for an American audience. Early episodes specifically refer to the Enterprise as being an Earth ship. Earth is presented as the center of the Federation and Starfleet, etc. Spock is the only non-human crewman we ever saw on the ship.

Realistically, if the Federation was a truly multi-species body, and Starfleet its exploratory arm, you'd likely see more mixed-species crews and whatnot. The Intrepid is the only real hint of a Starfleet that extended beyong humans-with-some-token-aliens.

So, I find myself asking: Was she an Earth ship which was reassigned to a Vulcan crew for a special mission? A Vulcan ship built to Constitution specs? Is the ship's name perhaps a translation/approximation of a Vulcan word? There's definitely a story to be told about that ship.

Heck, just thinking about the day-to-day life of an all-Vulcan crew on a Starfleet ship is pretty intriguing. At least pon farr wouldn't be some big secret that the officers and crew would keep from their Captain!

Of course, I'm going with the "Vulcan-built ship" concept simply to provide an interesting modeling challenge.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Began decaling the Intrepid. Decided to go with the accurate PNT registry decals, simply because I prefer the look. Everything is going smoothly, but I’m going the extra mile by removing all of the “unlit”/black window decals and replacing them with “lit”/white ones, since the CG Remastered ship has all of its windows illuminated, unlike the 11-footer. The window patterns are also different on the CG model, with missing/extra windows on the saucer, dorsal, and secondary hull.

This requires a lot of tedious cutting and splicing of tiny window decals from several spare decal sheets, so the process is slower than a standard build of this kit would be.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 11:24pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Finished the bulk of decaling. Just have to apply another gloss coat, then add the Vulcan-specific decals over that. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 March 2018 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

Finished decaling. Just need to fine-tune a few details, add a flat clearcoat, and finish the display base.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Not even a Vulcan could feel a starship die!

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Nicely done, Greg! The hull looks excellent, as do the bilingual markings.

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Nicely done, as usual. My only complaint is that the "bilingual" letters and numbers make it look busy.

Thoughts on this: since the ship is called Intrepid, and not a Vulcan name, it seems to me that this was a ship issued to Vulcan, not built there. Starfleet seems to have settled on English as its "universal language," which makes sense for fleet consistency. And, in any case, hull markings would be jibberish to "new civilizations".

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

My only complaint is that the "bilingual" letters and numbers make it look busy. 
+++++++

I feel the same way, but it does provide a different look and feel, which is what I was going for. There’s really no way to have done this without the upper saucer looking too busy, since the standard name and registry are already so close together. I think the effect looks best on the nacelles and lower saucer. Not too busy, and it gets the idea across.

I also considered doing ONLY Vulcan lettering, but that might be a little too confusing at first glance. Having the ship actually say “Intrepid” clues one in as to what the alien lettering means, if one is familiar with “The Immunity Syndrome”.

I considered going with a different color/size for the Vulcan font (a la TMP’s Surak shuttle], but decided to stick with black, and a slightly smaller font only for the registry numbers on the nacelles and lower saucer.

At the end of the day, this was just a fun way to try something new and different, and I think it succeeded in that. I’ve tried to give each of these models a unique identity without going overboard. This is the most creative I’ve gotten, in terms of straying from established lore.

Also, it was fun!

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 16 March 2018 at 11:36am

John Byrne
Busy Doing Nothing!

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Okay, I'm gonna go military on your buttocks.

These painted designations are for quick and easy recognition at a distance. Which means they should be as simple and clear as possible. Go with all English, as with other ships. Bilingual plays to notions of Vulcan snobbery. The IDIC is enough of a Vulcan touch.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Thoughts on this: since the ship is called Intrepid, and not a Vulcan name, it seems to me that this was a ship issued to Vulcan, not built there. Starfleet seems to have settled on English as its "universal language," which makes sense for fleet consistency. And, in any case, hull markings would be jibberish to "new civilizations".
+++++++++

Agreed. The most...er...logical idea would be that this was just another standard ship which happened to have a Vulcan crew assigned to it, for whatever reason. 

And, in-universe, it does indeed seem that English is the Starfleet standard language. Of course, as I noted upthread, it really just comes down to the fact that STAR TREK was a show made by North American humans for a North American, human audience, hence all of the Earth/human/American focus in what is supposed to be an interspecies/interplanetary alliance. Conceit of the show, rather than a “realistic” approach.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 March 2018 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

Okay, I'm gonna go military on your buttocks. 

These painted designations are for quick and easy recognition at a distance. Which means they should be as simple and clear as possible. Go with all English, as with other ships. Bilingual plays to notions of Vulcan snobbery. The IDIC is enough of a Vulcan touch.

+++++++++

I disagree with none of this! 

In fact, I originally intended to go with just the IDIC marking, but decided to be a little more ambitious. In-universe, the ship probably wouldn’t have even that. This build was a case of my hobbyist needs outweighing my fan/canon/logic needs. I wanted to do something more than yet another build of the same design, but with a different name/number. That would be...boring!

Aside from being the first and only kid on my block to have all of the Constitutions, the goal of this series of models is to try out new techniques and new ideas. This model came down to experimenting with a detailed paintjob and lots of custom decals. On that level, it worked very well, although the non-canon-ness (and non-logic-ness) of the extra markings does nag at the back of my anal-retentive mind.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 16 March 2018 at 11:50am

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 12:33pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Looks great, Greg. After all the CG version that you based this build on is not very accurate to begin with. Also good to do something to keep this series of ships fresh as you build them. 

The K'tinga looks great! But to get that would make me need to build the Refit. eek! I'll probably order one for the store. 

I understand the need for the aztek patter to make the refit more visually interesting but I don't care for it in general on the original. in general, things have gotten more bumpy and gee-gaws over time. look at airliners of the 60s and today. wiglets, communication domes, and other bits on what used to be a smooth surface. 

Or like the F-104 starfigther particularly a rocket tube with stubby wings to the F-18 hornet. 

I know it's a slippery slope because then you wind up with the Discovery. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 March 2018 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Looks great, Greg. After all the CG version that you based this build on is not very accurate to begin with. Also good to do something to keep this series of ships fresh as you build them. 
++++++++

Realistically, all of the Constitutions should be virtually identical. We only got a few hints of differences from ship to ship during TOS, all of which were to help distinguish and/or hide the reuses of the Enterprise. The Exeter Bridge had a panel placed over the Enterprise dedication plaque. The Defiant’s engineering “pipe cathedral” was lit in blue instead of red (perhaps to also signify that the engines were not running). The Captain’s chair on the Lexington had the high back/headrest (recycled from “Mirror, Mirror”). 

In the real world, Navy ships of the same class have variations from ship to ship, and TOS indicated some minor differences, too. The Remastered version of the Lexington had four round windows on the bow saucer rim, instead of the usual three. 

The early Remastered CG model (seen in the Remastered “Miri”, “Balance of Terror”, etc,)was actually much more accurate than the one that ended up being used for most of the run. Apparently, the first model was TOO good, and took far to long to render. The overall shapes and geometry of the second model are very accurate, but the color scheme, window patterns, hull font, lighting effects, and the addition of the panel pattern are all less accurate than the first attempt. It’s an interesting variation, but it’s...not the Enterprise. It just doesn’t look “right”.

And, of course, the Constellation was depicted onscreen by an off-the-shelf AMT model kit, which had notable differences in detailing and proportion when compared to the Enterprise filming models. So much so that some have used this evidence (as well as the much lower, “NCC-1017” registry) as justification for the Constellation actually being an entirely different class of ship, or one which was older/modified from the usual specs. Of course, the filmmakers clearly intended the ship to be identical to the Enterprise. The Remastered Constellation is identical to the Remastered Enterprise, aside from name/number and battle-damage.

That all being said, I’ve tried to give my builds some individual character and identity, and have based several of them on variations/recreations of the classic design (the AMT model, 1991 Smithsonian restoration of the filming model, the ENTERPRISE CG model, and now the TOS Remastered CG model). It would be fun to do some other variants, like the Frank Joseph/Achernar (based on Jefferies’ blueprints, which also served as the basis for the AMT kit) and the Endeavor (based on the earliest, pre-Jefferies PHASE II designs).

Nailing down the specific details of the original Enterprise filming models—from color scheme to nitty-gritty details—has been a decades-long crusade for many fans. As a result, there are a lot of fanmade and official interpretations/recreations to be inspired by. There are also sorts of subtle differences/interpretations/misinterpretations when compared to the actual studio models.

My production-era Enterprise will of course be based on the 11-foot model as it was during filming, and will take advantage of all the new information unearthed by the 2016 restoration. 

Next up are the Excalibur and the I.S.S. Enterprise[/]. I may take a break to work on some non-TOS model that are also in-progress, such as the NX Refit, the TMP Refit, and the Reliant.

<< Prev Page of 59 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version