The first and third of the airshow pictures are in
the center of the 2019 Ship of the Line calendar,
with modified text.

Edited by Jack Bohn on 11 December 2018 at 10:38pm
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2019 at 11:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Looks like Round 2 is gonna be repopping several models, including the 1/1000 NX-01 and the 1/2500 Enterprise-D.

And they’re also producing some new models from STD. I’m good, thanks. Zero interest in the show or its design aesthetic. While the Discoprise is a lot less hideous than the Abramsprise, the words “abomination” and “affront” still swirl in my brain whenever I see it. 

Hardcore STAR TREK fans tend to have one very distinctive trait in common: A strong sense of loyalty. And, for me, Matt Jefferies’ Enterprise doesn’t get supplanted by anything, ever. The movie Refit gets a pass from me because Jefferies had a big hand in developing it, and because it was treated as an evolution of the original design (rather than a “what the TOS ship really always looked like” retcon, which they could easily have done), but these retconned and rebooted versions can just kindly go away, thanks.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2019 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Along those same lines...

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Diving back in after a long hiatus to work on other projects. Decided to cleanse the palette with some movie-era models. Specifically, the TMP Enterprise, Reliant, and Grissom.

The former two have been in my "partially constructed" pile for years, but now I'm getting close to basecoats and detail painting. Fortunately, the detail-heavy movie models are largely taken care of by decals.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2019 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

<Gunner: Target engine only.>

Finally managed to finish this one. For such a small model, getting the details right took a lot of time, despite not requiring a lot of paintwork.

I do have a soft spot for the design, as weird as it is. The warp engines are directly attached to the saucer (in opposition to Matt Jefferies’ whole point of having the powerful and dangerous engine nacelles projected away from the Enterprise on slender pylons), and there seems to be no way to access the secondary hull, aside from transporter, crawlways, or a very wild ride in a very small turbolift.

While fanmade blueprints and cutaway displays in later TV series show several decks existing in that secondary hull, I tend to believe that it’s actually an unmanned sensor pod rather than a habitable part of the ship. The idea being that the Grissom was a very small science/survey ship, with no weapons and a very specific mission profile. That secondary hull has no windows, and the design gives the impression of a shielded radar/sensor nosecone, a la Jefferies’ original concept for the main sensor dish on the secondary hull of the Enterprise

There’s also been some controversy over the size of this model kit, since later iterations and blueprints depict a much larger ship. The kit is based on ILM’s original scale chart from THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK, which suits me fine. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 May 2019 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

They gave her back to me, Scotty.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Thing of beauty Greg

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Still not MY ship, tho I did finally get to a point (after many viewings) that I teared up when she went down in THE WRATH OF KHAN.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2019 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I think if they’d stuck with Matt Jefferies’ redesign for PHASE II—which is essentially the TOS ship with new nacelles and a few other tweaks—the impact of the ship’s big-screen debut and subsequent destruction would have been even more impactful. The TMP ship is an evolution of the PHASE II design, but it’s perhaps too radically different from the TOS design without that transitional PHASE II step.

On the one hand, I get why they redesigned EVERYTHING for TMP. It provided a clear distinction between the TV show and the film, and of course also allowed for all of that merchandising potential. Literally the only item in the film which is identical to its TOS counterpart is Uhura’s wireless earpiece, and that’s only because they’d forgotten all about making a new one for the film, and so someone ran down to storage and grabbed a leftover prop from TOS.

While the movie Enterprise is not quite at the same iconic level of the TV version, I’ll objectively say that the visual effects miniature is one of the most gorgeous of its kind every constructed, and never, ever looked better than it did in TMP, with Doug Trumbull handling the lighting and photography. I’m still kinda surprised that it only sold for half-a-million at auction, whereas TNG’s 6-foot 1701-D model sold for a million. 

All of that detailing and Aztec paneling and whatnot looks fantastic onscreen, but, man, was this model a b**** to build, compared to the many TOS-era ships I’ve done. One of these days, I’ll be brave enough to crack open the 1/350 kit and go all-out with the electronics and whatnot.

Meanwhile, Reliant is nearing the paint stage, and I still have the Excalibur and production-style TOS Enterprise to do, so as to complete my full set of Constitutions. So very close, now! Eyes on the prize! 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 July 2019 at 10:21am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

...well, I might as well toss the little one I just built in the trash. This is jaw-dropping!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 July 2019 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

WRONG SHIP!!!!!!!!

<< Prev Page of 129 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version