Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek Page of 55 Next >>
Topic: More Star Trek Models from Round 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2010 at 4:53pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Among other things, looks like the old AMT USS Reliant model is being retooled, as well as the Klingon Bird of Prey. (The May 13th blog entry):

http://www.collectormodel.com/

BTW, the May 10th blog entry has some interesting news regarding the re-release of the AMT TOS Romulan Bird of Prey model...  But that picture is just so wrong!  ;)

Back to Top profile | search

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A 1/350 scale Enterprise-A. That's HUGE!
Back to Top profile | search | email

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2010 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I saw the 1/350 "A" in the box at a hobbyshop yesterday--even the BOX is huge!

The assembled model is about 34" long, and in scale with the Master Replicas TOS Enterprise.

Of course, a 1/350 TOS model kit is now in the works, too, for those who don't want a pre-built replica like the MR model.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 May 2010 at 9:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Round2's mail-in Wonderfest 2010 questionnaire for those who want to see a 1/350 TOS kit...

http://round2models.com/xtras/wonderfest10.php

Hate to say it, but I'm really tempted to go with the 1/1000 Reliant & K'Tinga kits.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2010 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Me, too, Bill--I'd rather have a 1/1000 Reliant.

I'm building up a nice little 1/1000 fleet, and Relaint would be a nice addition!

Coincidentally, I'm finishing up a special model build as we speak, and will post pictures soon.

It's also been nice to see the repops of the larger AMT/ERTL kits, like Reliant and the original AMT Enterprise. Heck, I might even go for a re-release of the 1/1000 Excelsior (if mainly for the challenge)--which is said to be in the works--, especially if it had improved tooling and decals, as the other re-releases have.

The 1/350 stuff is great, too, but space and material considerations make those kits for the more hardcore builders.

That said, I've seen some of the work done with the 1/350 "A" kit, and I'm blown away. For example:

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=10395

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=273113

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2010 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Yes, some of those 1/350 Refit mods are incredible... Especially the ones putting in a fully lighted & tricked out shuttle bay.

The Starship Modeler Forum members who went to Wonderfest 2010 reported back with an ambivalent response from Round2 regarding the 1/350 TOS kit ever being produced.  The basic gist was, does Round2 sink enough financial capital to produce one big expensive Trek kit, or 3 smaller more affordable Trek kits?  It sounds like they're gravitating toward the latter, but that's what the feedback questionnaire is about.

I do hope they go the 1/1000 USS Reliant & K'Tinga route, because I could turn one of my Enterprise Refits into a TWOK one, and (with after-market 1701-A decals) do TUC set up on the other, with the K'Tinga as Kronos One.

Hmmm... I think I'll need another Refit kit just for the pristine TMP look...

I won't ever pick up that Round2 release of the Abramsprise, but a USS Kelvin might be tempting.  The design of the Kelvin has an interesting Constitution-class refit "test-bed" look to it, despite it predating the TOS in the movie timeline.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2010 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The Refit is a sweet little kit. There are a few inaccuracies, but it's very impressive for the scale. The decals have a few problems--and there's no "A" option, but Round2 will release a supplemental sheet later this year. There are already aftermarket decal sheets covering the "A", as well as battle damage from II, III, V, and VI. 

If I had the time, space, talent, and money, I'd love to get and trick out one of the 1/350 kits.

As it stands, I'm going to do a 1/1000 "A" as a test run, and then a pristine Refit. I may even discard the aztec decals for the latter, and use painting templates and pearlescent paints. My eyes will probably cross from doing such tiny work, but I seen a few builds already that have used that method.

And, of course, there's the special project I hinted at above. It's turned out really well, and I'll post some photos soon.

As for the Abramsverse...there's a crazy part of me that might want to get the Nu-Enterprise just for the challenge (and to see if it suffers from Sagging Nacelles Syndrome), but...NO. No, thanks.

Also, I really don't get all the Kelvin-wank. That design seems incredibly popular with modelers and blueprinters right now, but I just don't get it. Call me crazy, but it's just a boring variant of the old Franz Joseph Scout/Destroyer design.

And not one design element of the recent film comes even within hailing distance of being a logical precursor to "The Cage" or TOS in general!

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2010 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yup, already got the aftermarket "A" decals. ;)

There's a guy on the Starship Modeler's Forum who's been working on a corrected 1/1000 refit bridge part cast in clear resin... Going to be very popular with those wanting to light that kit if he ever gets it mass produced. 

Edit - By George (Takei), he's already marketing them! http://www.tetryon.ca/

Still waiting for the SSM store to restock those red resin-cast engines to fully turn that Round2/AMT Interplanetary UFO "Mystery Ship" kit back into the Leif Ericson Galactic Cruiser... 

Edited by Bill Mimbu on 22 May 2010 at 2:16pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2010 at 2:27pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've already seen a few lit 1/1000 "A" kits--the mind boggles!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2010 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Behold...

For many years, now, I've wanted to build the original Enterprise in each of its three confirgurations--first pilot ("The Cage"), second pilot ("Where No Man has Gone Before"), and production.

Polar Lights/Round2's 1/1000 kit seemed the perfect opportunity to do that. I'd done several builds of it (labeled as Constitution and Lexington) previously as a warm-up.

Well, back in the fall, I began work on The Enterprise Project, consisting of a buildup of each version of the ship. The goals were:

A) Practice on the pilot models in order to perfect my technique for the final, production model.

B) Work with other fans and solve some of the mysteries of the model, such as exactly what details changed between versions. We've had an ongoing thread at Starship Modeler to this effect, and have made a number of interesting discoveries (such as the existence of a red pinstripe around the bridge and tiny faux formation lights on the saucer of the first pilot model).

Well, I just finished my first pilot build. And, aside from some sloppiness on my part, it's turned out incredibly well. It may also be the most accurate "Cage" Enterprise ever built, in terms of detailing. I even went so far as to match the weathering patterns on the hull down to specific streaks of green, rust, and gray.

And, as an homage to the famous zoom-in opening shot in the pilot episode, I left the upper bridge dome clear, and inserted a tiny bridge interior decal beneath it (NOT off-center, mind you--I know there's no room for the turbolift that way, but the concept of an off-center bridge drives me a bit nuts).

Space, the final frontier.
These are the voyages of the United Spaceship
Enterprise.
Its one-episode mission:
to explore Talos IV, to seek out survivors and rescue Captain Pike,
to boldly go where the S.S.
Columbia has gone before!

More photos:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff010- 1.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff003- 4.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff001- 4.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff012. jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff014. jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff004- 2.jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff020. jpg

With older sis:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff015. jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff016. jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff017. jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff018. jpg
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g212/GregKirkman/Stuff019. jpg

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 23 May 2010 at 1:17am

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2010 at 3:59pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

And I just had to do this:

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2010 at 10:56pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

That's a lot of TOS love at 1/1000 scale! ;)

I like the custom stand as well...  Doing something similiar for your 1/1000 Refits, or going with the Round2 supplied one?

Alex Prewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Greg--excellent work!!! Love the Cage intro, too!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 1:16am | IP Logged | 14 post reply

I like the custom stand as well...  Doing something similiar for your 1/1000 Refits, or going with the Round2 supplied one?

++++++++++++

Haven't decided.

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 5:17am | IP Logged | 15 post reply

And, as an homage to the famous zoom-in opening shot in the pilot episode, I left the upper bridge dome clear, and inserted a tiny bridge interior decal beneath it (NOT off-center, mind you--I know there's no room for the turbolift that way, but the concept of an off-center bridge drives me a bit nuts).

••

You mean rotated? Yes, it struck me as odd that the Bridge would have to be turned a few degrees relative to the long axis of the the ship -- until I realized such configurations are meaningless in a vessel with artificial gravity and "inertial dampers". The Bridge could be UPSIDE-DOWN relative to the rest of the Enterprise, and it really wouldn't matter!

As I began thinking "logically" about the design of the ship, years ago, it struck me as a poor choice to have the Bridge sitting "on top" (again, meaningless in zero G) instead of tucked away somewhere deep and safe inside.

What was your reason for omitting the "PEZ dispenser" structures on the rear ends of the nacelles on this version?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 16 post reply

You mean rotated? Yes, it struck me as odd that the Bridge would have to be turned a few degrees relative to the long axis of the the ship -- until I realized such configurations are meaningless in a vessel with artificial gravity and "inertial dampers". The Bridge could be UPSIDE-DOWN relative to the rest of the Enterprise, and it really wouldn't matter!

++++++++

Yeah, rotated is what I meant.

For those who don't know...

Matt Jefferies originally designed the ship with an "on-center" bridge. The turbolift was directly behind the Captain's chair, and thus matched the cylindrical nubbin behind the bridge on the exterior of the Enterprise model.

However, before filming began, it was decided to rearrange the consoles so that the lift was to the Captain's left--this allowed for better camera angles in terms of people entering and exiting the set. Unfortunately, this modified Jefferies' original intent, and so (unless that exerior nubbin isn't the turbolift housing) the Captain's chair, helm, and viewscreen are all rotated about 37 degrees off-center.

It's one of those naggy little things--yeah, there's absolutely no reason that the Captain and Helm have to face directly ahead...but...it...just...doesn't...feel...right! Jefferies' design for the ship is very clean and symmetrical, for the most-part, and the rotated bridge has been a sticking point for many.

There have been insanely long discussions about this design aspect of the ship among hardcore TREK fans for many years.

I felt justified keeping my tiny decal on-center because:

A) The pilot bridge dome was larger, and so there's theoretically more room for the bridge to not be rotated off-center.

B) The matte shot that opens the pilot has a fairly on-center bridge.

C) People looking at the model might ask me why the bridge is "crooked", and it could negatively reflect on their perception of my skills!

Of course, if you push me, I'll defer to the evidence, which supports a rotated bridge on the "real" ship. As you said, JB, there's absolutely no reason for the bridge to have a given orientation--it can be sideways, upside-down, whatever.

My next two builds of the model will have an opaque dome, so this won't be an issue.

+++++++++++

What was your reason for omitting the "PEZ dispenser" structures on the rear ends of the nacelles on this version?

+++++++++++++

The "PEZ" detail on the nacelle endcaps was exclusive to the 33" model (which was used for most shots of the ship in the pilot).

That design element was on the construction blueprints and the smaller model, yes, but it never made it onto the 11-footer, which is the version I was trying to replicate.

The 11-footer had featureless endcaps in the first pilot, the grille detail painted on in the second, and the spheres added for production.

I basically split the difference--I left the details on my Constitution, but removed them from my Enterprise.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 23 May 2010 at 11:12am

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

…unless that exerior nubbin isn't the turbolift housing…

••

Which is the simplest solution, of course. And the one I have long preferred.

Problem is, once they "squashed" the Bridge, after the second pilot, they kinda messed with how everything is supposed to FIT -- unless we assume the Bridge only sticks up about halfway into the "dome". But that's not how it's drawn in cross-sectional cutaways.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Which is the simplest solution, of course. And the one I have long preferred.

Problem is, once they "squashed" the Bridge, after the second pilot, they kinda messed with how everything is supposed to FIT -- unless we assume the Bridge only sticks up about halfway into the "dome". But that's not how it's drawn in cross-sectional cutaways.

+++++++++

That the nubbin houses the turbolift was the original idea, of course.

Wait...are saying you prefer a centered bridge, then, with the nubbin representing something else? Or the reverse?

You wouldn't believe the arguments people have had about this. Some proponents of the "on-center" bridge have suggested...

A) Scaling the ship's theoretical size up to 1080 feet, which would allow the bridge to fit on-center, with the nubbin not being a lift housing.

B) Lowering the bridge into the B-deck area, so that only about about half sticks into the dome, as you said.

Interestingly, the classic Jefferies cutaway does support the latter somewhat--the bridge seems slightly recessed into the B/C deck superstructure.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 23 May 2010 at 12:05pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:12pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

As I began thinking "logically" about the design of the ship, years ago, it struck me as a poor choice to have the Bridge sitting "on top" (again, meaningless in zero G) instead of tucked away somewhere deep and safe inside.

++++++++

Right off the bat, I can think of two possible reasons for that design choice:

A) Jefferies may have known that Roddenberry planned on the opening shot where the camera zooms in to the bridge, thus immediately tying the exterior and interior of the ship together for the audience.

B) The Bridge being located at the top level of the ship harkens back to the conning towers of naval ships.

Edited by Greg Kirkman on 24 May 2010 at 9:55am

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2010 at 9:42pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

From an dramatic standpoint, it also helps the audience relate at a glance where the main characters usually are during a exterior special effects shot...

I'd be hard pressed to point out where the CIC is roughly located on the new Battlestar Galactica during a fly-by, without consulting an interior schematic every time.

Al Cook
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 May 2010 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

It had damn well better be located in the deepest heart of the ship where it belongs...

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 May 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Been doing some preliminary research on the second pilot Enterprise, as well as 1701-A. I may have to go slowly on the latter, since Round2 will likely be releasing upgrade decals before the year is out.

Anyone here have any photos of their own models? I love seeing other people's work! Good, bad, or average--it's always fun to see TREK models!

John Byrne
Beam Me Up, Scotty!

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 3:25am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

The Bridge being located at the top level of the ship harkens back to the conning towers of naval ships.

••

Well, sure. One of the most "unrealistic" things about STAR TREK has been, from the very beginning, the very gravity-oriented up-down-left-right configuration of 99% of the ships we see. There's no real reason for the Enterprise to be anything more than a sphere, or a cylinder, or a cube! She doesn't land, after all, and isn't, in her traditional shape, even built to land.

But the show is not about creating a realistic view of life in space. It's a whole lot about the comfort levels of the audience. One of the reasons, for instance, that two starships meeting in deep space are always "right side up" to each other. Even when severely damaged!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Exactly. The "Navy is space" analogy is what makes TREK easier to understand and relate to.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 May 2010 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

Ordered that aftermarket 1701-A bridge.

Hey, Bill--you seem like a pretty hardcore TREK model guy. Gimme a shout if ya ever wanna chat! I'd love to trade tips and info.

Page of 55 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version