Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 170 Next >>
Topic: Healthcare Debate (was: Quesada apologizes) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 1  

Jodi,

Rose coloured glasses? Quite the contrary. Not once have I suggested that the Tea Party movement hasn't attracted a lunatic fringe. But neither do I dismiss them so casually. I haven't attended a Tea Party rally and have no plans to do so in the future. It's (forgive me) not my cup of tea. But, as someone who works in municipal government, who struggles with the budget numbers all day long, trying to sustain what's become unsustainable, it's going to be interesting to see if the Tea Partiers are a ballot box force come this fall. I might be working with a very interesting City Council this fall.

On a far more pleasant note, since I've never had the chance to correspond with you, I think your ponies are really neat. You're quite talented.

Back to Top profile | search

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

As Jospeh's long post above details, Teabaggers have a vague sense of ideology without a sense of reality and the facts that go with it.  They want no taxes and a great economy and have no way of getting there.  But they are very good at being angry, and talking down to anyone who isn't one of "them".
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

Knut,

I certainly don't think you're off-base. There's a degree of accountability to an open discussion that's most healthy, and personally I gain tremendous insight from the diversity of views presented here.

A flood of private emails like you're talking about seems to me like engaging in a vigourous discussion at a public place, and then having one of the crowd (for lack of a better term) following you home and walking into your house to continue the chin wag. It's like being stalked by an intellectual rapist. Some people need to respect the boundaries...

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 4  

QUOTE:
Gosh, I guess we should all be grateful that Marvel showed such good judgment and selected the far less offensive Tea Party rally signs that they did. And I guess Cap was right in his reasoning of sending the Falcon undercover "...under the thinking that a black government official will most certainly spark their anger." Thanks for clearing that up for us!

Isn't Cap sending the Falcon undercover to set off the Watchdogs, not the Tea Party protesters?  Thats how I read the pages in question.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

Mike,

It's called subtext. Just who are the Watchdogs stand-ins for in our ripped-from-the-headlines storyline? Admittedly, it's a little more subtle that having lizard-Reagan running around in his underwear, but not by much...

Jodi Moisan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 6  

Matthew Thanks so much on the kind words about my ponies.

I think the lunatics in the tea party are hiding behind some good people with real concerns on govt spending.  As far as democrats losing some seats in govt. I have no problem with it, I have stated in this very forum, I don't like when one party has complete control over all branches of govt. And to be honest the dems haven't done what I wanted them to do, so I am not too happy with them right now either. I voted to get us out of Iraq,  allow everyone the right to marry and to serve their country openly and stop illegal wiretapping.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

QUOTE:
Mike,

It's called subtext. Just who are the Watchdogs stand-ins for in our ripped-from-the-headlines storyline? Admittedly, it's a little more subtle that having lizard-Reagan running around in his underwear, but not by much...

Well the Watchdogs. IIRC, are a racist, homophobic,paramilitary anti-government Milita. Don't recall their stance on taxation. Do you think Brubaker was trying to link antitax protesters with racists and homophobes?

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 8  

Much of the media has. Various posters earlier in this thread have. Why should Mr. Brubaker be any different?

Joseph Gauthier
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 9  

Do I talk down, Steven?  I certainly don't try to.  Please keep in mind that my long post was not meant to set forth a specific ideology, but rather to provide a specific answer to a specific question.  Everything else you've taken from my post seems to have come from words I didn't type. 
If I've learned nothing else about William, I've learned that he's sincere in his beliefs, and if he asks a question, I imagine it's in hopes of receiving a reply.  I provided one.

And anger, Steven?  Really?  Perhaps I have nothing to add to the conversation.

Matthew McCallum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 2:50pm | IP Logged | 10  

Joseph,

Steven is essentially echoing the "army of angry idiots" line, but he does have a point. From my read of the Tea Party efforts, you have a bunch of people who for the most part have never been involved previously in the political process. They aren't the pros, and it really shows. But they know that their country has gone off the rails, and they are angry about it.

If they stay angry, then the movement dries up in the hot sun and fizzles away in one electoral cycle. But if that anger is turned into fuel, if a bunch of people previously disengaged in the political process are activated, if they start working toward solutions, these might prove to be very interesting times.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 2:53pm | IP Logged | 11  

QUOTE:
Much of the media has. Various posters earlier in this thread have. Why should Mr. Brubaker be any different?
I really dont know him or his work well enough to say. Would he have decided where the captions were placed. If the statement "I dont see a blackman from Harlem exactly fitting in with a bunch of angry white folks" been placed elsewhere, would there be a problem? or was it Sam's statement "So I guess the whole "hate the government" vibe around here isn't limited to the Watchdogs"? Maybe the "Tea Bag the libs before they teabag you" sign?

Edited by Mike Norris on 12 February 2010 at 2:54pm

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 February 2010 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

Is there some obligation to present the teabaggers in a positive light every time they show up in the media, fictionalized or otherwise?  Is it so hard to believe that one of the lunatic fringe members of the teabag party would hook up with a group like the Watchdogs?

For a group that talks so much about pulling yourself up by your bootstraps and dealing with what life sends your way, the Republicans/Teabaggers sure are thin-skinned when it comes to any negativity directed toward them.

I can't name any Sicilian-American characters (let alone Italian-American) that aren't either mobsters or people who mostly fight mobsters, but I don't fire off angry letters to Marvel every time a Punisher comic hits the stands, and I don't protest outside HBO every time they re-run the Sopranos.  If the teabaggers spent 1/100th of the effort learning about issues and educating themselves as they do pretending to be offended by things so that they can get more press for themselves, people wouldn't think of them as a bunch of ignorant racists who are working against their own best interests on behalf of rich white Republicans.

But that's just my two cents.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 170 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version