Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 262 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2019 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As one of my teachers would say when we tried to turn conversation to Buck Rogers the day after, "It's trying to seem vast, but it just comes off as half-vast."

edited to add show name, since it's a new page

Edited by Jack Bohn on 23 September 2019 at 10:34am
Back to Top profile | search

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2019 at 2:57pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I realize that the '79 Buck Rogers is no critical darling, and I would never try to convince anyone otherwise... I agree, it's a cheesy time capsule, in more ways than one...

However, though a lot of dialogue is indeed cringe-worthy (Glen A. Larson can take much of the blame for that), Erin Gray is more than just '70s eye-candy.  She and Gil Gerard, along with Tim O'Connor, all give surprisingly solid and warm performances, and their characters are the main reason why I tend to revisit this show every once in a blue moon (the last time being, incidentally, for it's 30th anniversary back in '09).

It ain't art, but the main leads are better than you might remember.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

THE STRANGE CASE OF THE END OF CIVILIZATION AS WE KNOW IT (1975)

John Cleese, Arthur Lowe and Connie Booth in a loosely structured comedy/parody that should have been a lot funnier.

“We all know he will stop at nothing, so perhaps if we DO nothing, he will STOP at it!”

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 September 2019 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

PERFECT HARMONY (2019)

New Bradley Whitford comedy on NBC. Entertaining enough, but it’s hard to imagine where it can go after the pilot.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 11:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Recently re-watched Abigail's Party as the BF had never seen it... it was one of those Play For Today pieces (like The Flipside Of Dominick Hyde, Red Shift  and Penda's Fen). Abigail's was ranked the 11th greatest British tv program of all time by the BFI.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/feb/24/mike-leigh-abi gails-party-40

I had this on one of those 'free' DVDs that came with a newspaper, you can pick them up for under a dollar or under a pound and try old sitcoms or British movies you never saw, or the first seasons of Lark Rise To Candleford and Upstairs-Downstairs. I have a shoebox full of these things now.
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 September 2019 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Couple of oft-watched STAR TREK TOS episodes, “Tomorrow is Yesterday” and “The Return of the Archons”.

Consulting the IMDb whilst watching, I was informed that the airbase set used in the first was also used on I DREAM OF JEANNIE. If true, that would answer an old question for me.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 September 2019 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The first Catwoman episodes (19/20) from BATMAN (1966). A brief blip of nostalgia, if that’s the word. Pretty poor stuff even in context. The story felt as if they were making it up as they went along.

Interesting tho, that this was not an “origin story”. Like all the villains on BATMAN, Catwoman was presented in media res. Everybody knew who she was, and she and Batman had clearly met before.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2019 at 10:35am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It was exciting just to see comic book characters made 'real' on tv somehow for me, a story was kind of secondary. As I was getting them in re-runs the progressions of seasons didn't really exist, same with the original Star Trek... did they ever address the issue of the various actresses who were Catwoman? Even as a kid I couldn't not notice Eartha Kitt was not Julie Newmar or Lee Meriwether.

Now as an adult it's the cameo appearances on Batman that are fun. Plus Vincent Price, Frank Gorshin, Cesar Romero and most others are always great at what they do, and I'll never get tired of that opening song with the animation (however limited).
Back to Top profile | search | www

Phil Geiger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 September 2019 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Catching up on last season's MODERN FAMILY. I'm going to miss this show. It still makes me laugh out loud.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 06 October 2019 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

CHERNOBYL on BluRay. Reading has taught me the story is almost entirely fiction, but it still works as drama.

This time I am even more distracted by Emily Watson’s entirely fictional character. As a writer, I can understand the need for a composite character like this, to make the storytelling more concise, but she plays much too important a role in too many key scenes.

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2019 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I understand that the Russians will be making their own version of this show to get the story right.  Uh, yeah.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2019 at 5:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown [1966]

In some parts of the country, I'm pretty sure you could be fined for not watching this in October...

<< Prev Page of 262 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version