Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 251 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 May 2014 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Started rewatching FREAKS & GEEKS... amazing how well they captured the look & feel of mid-western American life in the late '70s/early '80s.

Some lament the fact that this was cancelled too soon... instead of looking at it as a failed TV series, I like to view it as one glorious 18-hour movie!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 May 2014 at 8:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Next to last WAREHOUSE 13. DVDs mean this show will live forever , but I'm still sorry to see it end.

Hoping the finish it "right!"

David Lopez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2014 at 12:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

First disc of THE HONEYMOONERS. I've seen these shows many, many times, but never get tired of watching them. Great stuff.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 16 May 2014 at 4:13pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

STAR TREK, TOS -- "The Omega Glory"

Not sure what put me in the mood for this one. Chatting with a friend about Memorial Day plans, perhaps.

Not a favorite when I first saw it, lo these many years ago. Preachy and heavy handed -- yes, even by Roddenberry standards -- it has grown on me over the years largely on the strength of interesting characters and strong performances. Some of the worst editing in the whole run of the series, tho.

And it IS another "Super Spock" episode! That counts against it.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2014 at 10:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Not a favorite when I first saw it, lo these many years ago. Preachy and
heavy handed -- yes, even by Roddenberry standards -- it has grown
on me over the years largely on the strength of interesting characters
and strong performances. Some of the worst editing in the whole run of
the series, tho.

++++++++

I maintain that the first half is solid, with the Exeter mystery and the
discovery of Captain Tracey, who's wonderfully portrayed by Morgan
Woodward.

It really only falls apart when the parallel Earth concept (...including the
duplicate U.S. flag and Constitution!) comes into play.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2014 at 2:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Ah, 'Yangs and Coms'. That 'weird language that turns out to be devolved English' plot device. 'Doctor Who' tried that when Leela was introduced..the warring tribes 'Sevateem' and 'Tesh' had been a spaceship crew's 'Survey Team' and 'Technicians'.
A better example came in a short story whose name and title escape me, but I read it one of those 'Alfred Hitchcock' paperback anthologies, reprinting stories from 'Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine'. The gist was that in England several centuries in the future, the country is in ruins, and those survivors who are comparatively well-off live above the surface,  leave another, primitive, group, to their underground dwellings. 
Someone 'above ground' gets curious about this oddly familiar tune they keep hearing from 'below', with a repeated phrase that sounds like 'Ballah Sammah, Ballah Sammah, Sarna 'n corpanah' in the guttural language spoken down there.
Finally, the guy connects the dots, remembers what the tune was originally, and realizes that the underground folks are singing the wartime standby, 'Bless 'Em All', and that's what the decline of the language did to 'sergeants and corporals and all...'

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2014 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Now checking out season 2 of NORTHERN EXPOSURE.

Seeing Janine Turner onscreen reminds me that I once thought she would make a good Catwoman.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2014 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Working my way through season 1 of the original TRANSFORMERS cartoon. It still holds up well, in my view. It appeals to me despite being thirty years older than when it first aired. I don't think future incarnations have topped this.

And Peter Cullen has one of the best voices in animation!

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2014 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've been watching the DVD Box Set of the Russian produced Sherlock Holmes series.

It was roughly contemporaneous (1979-1986) with the Granda Jeremy Brett series (1984-1994).

I liked Watson right away - awesome. Holmes is growing on me (his voice is a bit gruffer than I'd imagine). They joke a bit more than you'd expect, but it fits.

Looks like the producers saddled Holmes with all the visual cliches (calabash pipe, deerstalker, Inverness), but he's taking the job seriously, which is good.

The stories are based on Doyle's, but the combine bits and pieces, as do so many others. But I like it.

It is only available with English subtitles, not dubbing, so it that bothers you, watch out.

Edited by Roy Johnson on 18 May 2014 at 6:49pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 May 2014 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

30 ROCK

Felt like it was time for a marathon. Been a couple of years, I was surprised to realize. Watched the first disk of S1. Fun to note various "firsts" as they appear -- first real look at Liz Lemon's apartment, first Dr. Spaceman, first mention of "The Rural Juror," etc.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2014 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

first mention of "The Rural Juror," etc

That made me laugh just reading your mention of it.

David Ferguson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 May 2014 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Picked up the IN THE BEGINNING DOCTOR WHO boxset. Have checked out the first four episodes (the first storyline). THE FIRST DOCTOR is a grumpy chap and I was surprised by some of his actions. Found it interesting. I like the comicbook like "Next Episode" credit at the end of episodes especially the one leading into THE DEAD PLANET (the first appeareance of the Daleks). I then remembered I'd seen it before in AN ADVENTURE IN SPACE AND TIME. These episodes are really "adding colour" to that drama.

<< Prev Page of 251 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version