Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 119 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 November 2018 at 12:05pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

BARRY, on HBO. I watched it over the last week or so. Great cast, well done dark comedy with plenty of drama mixed in. I enjoyed it a lot.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 20 November 2018 at 5:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

OUTER LIMITS S1 E4 ďThe Man with the PowerĒ

Donald Pleasance as a henpecked husband who creates a terrible, deadly power. Shaped more than I realized my own story of the same title. What can I say? Iíd not seen it in a loooong time.

Not since first viewing, also the first OUTER LIMITS I saw.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2018 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Man, I am absolutely loving THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW. It's going right up there with CHEERS and SEINFELD for me. 

Rip Torn's Artie is by far my favorite character. Although my love for Janeane Garofalo has certainly been rekindled. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2018 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'd certainly had big laughs watching sitcoms in the years leading up to "The Larry Sanders Show," but it could be the first show I distinctly recall making me guffaw until there were tears rolling down my face, each and every episode.

Biting and hilarious, though bittersweet now, seeing what has happened to the three main principals over the years.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 December 2018 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Everything about THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW should be right up my alley, and yet, itís not........

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 December 2018 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Man. Janeane Garofalo...

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 December 2018 at 1:12pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

This show was ahead of its time. 

Spoilers ahead: 

So, Larry becomes addicted to prescription opioid painkillers and benzodiazepines such as Xanax and Valium. And guess who helps him overcome his addiction? Rosanne. It could almost be torn from todayís headlines. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 December 2018 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

THE ORVILLE

DVD of season one finally came out. Watched the first two epidoes. Still terrific.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 December 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Just finished THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW. Absolutely one of the best series finales in the history of television. What a great show. Top tier show for me. Damn. I know it's been off the air for 20 years, but I kinda miss it. I miss these characters already. 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 3:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Continuing with THE ORVILLE. So good!

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 3:30pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I should purchase a copy of the first season of THE ORVILLE because I missed recording some episodes as they were airing. I should do it soon!

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 December 2018 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Finally got around to Moone Boy (on Hulu, not DVD), really entertaining. Highly recommend it. 

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2018 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Picked up THE ORVILLE this afternoon. Going to be watching it this weekend.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 December 2018 at 4:17pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

The Orville Season 1 DVD just arrived, but I'll have to wait for my son to return home from his work shift on the 28th to watch it. He really enjoyed the episodes we recorded on the initial broadcast. I think I'll stuff it in my own Christmas Stocking. :)

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 December 2018 at 4:23pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Now sampling the first few episodes of THE GOOD PLACE based on the comments on this forum and from one of my co-workers.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 December 2018 at 11:09pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

FAMILY - catching various episodes as part of the Decades network marathon this weekend.  I barely remember this show, but it was my motherís favorite show - Iím staying with her for the holidays and put it on for her.  I thought I would just be tolerating it, but I am really enjoying it.  We had it on all day as we came and went.

The pace is likely too slow for most, but for this kind of drama I think it holds up suprisingly well.  The acting is top notch.  They are going after serious issues of the day, so it falls into ham-handed clumsiness from time to time, but the family dynamics tend to save each episode.

I miss this kind of sincerity in TV shows - thereís a 1970s earnestness that can easily be mocked, but when good actors are on hand it works, as it does with this show.

Some other 70s elements that I love - plot points hinge on characters that canít be reached by phone.  This is even before answering machines, so when you canít reach someone they are really gone (Bruce Springsteen hits on this point brilliantly in the wonderful SPRINGSTEEN ON BROADWAY, which I am still digesting). There is so much I forgot about land line phone culture before cell phones - pay phones, just one phone in the house, busy signals, missed calls.

I also demand an answer as to why so many men had curly hair in the 70s and early 80s - William Katt on GREATEST AMERICAN HERO, Gary Frank and John Rubinstein in FAMILY, and a host of other shaggy manes.  Did they curl their hair, or was it natural and everyone now flattens it?

Tonight they showed the Christmas episode from the third season called ďA Child is GivenĒ - the moments with Gary Frank as Willie choked me up - very effective.  But they did lapse into an intolerable story element I canít help but notice because I share a name with a character - Meredith Baxterís character has a son named Timmy, and he gets very sick in this episode and ends up in the hospital.  Once again, film/TV/books portray Timmys as terminal characters on the brink of death.  If we are not falling down wells, weíre in hospital beds dying of something.  I blame Charles Dickens - A CHRISTMAS CAROL casts a long shadow! 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2018 at 12:05am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Hey Tim, perms all the rage for men back then. I had a boss who got one in the early eighties to help fill in his balding head. 
...and don't forget Mike Brady!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 December 2018 at 1:39am | IP Logged | 18 post reply

I remember being at school in the mid-70`s and one of
our ginger haired classmates having a curly perm...cue
loads of piss taking calling him Annie and singing It`s
a Hard Knock Life.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 December 2018 at 9:44am | IP Logged | 19 post reply

Thanks, Doug and Bill - that makes sense,  I can see how that would be a cover for balding.  I went the other direction when I started to lose hair and just chopped it all off.

Another prominent perm was MIcky Dolenz of The Monkees - in retrospect, he was probably noticing a receding hairline even at a young age.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 December 2018 at 10:51am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

SPOILER WARNING for Seasons Six and Seven of HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET...

First off, I remember FAMILY and enjoyed it very much. Kristy McNichol really lit up the screen on the show, but I liked all of the performers. 

I just watched a two-part HOMICIDE episode from the show's seventh season. Season seven was the one where they lost Andre Braugher as Det. Frank Pembleton, and the new hires did not set well with the series' regular viewers. Braugher was the backbone of the series and his loss would be keenly felt going forward. 

I was watching the show at the time, and the storyline that kept me plugged into the show was Det. Mike Kellerman's shooting of drug dealer Luther Mahoney in Season six. After establishing Mahoney as a savvy and self-aware manipulator of the system, the show had Kellerman gun down Mahoney as he was surrendering, hands in the air, bragging about how this latest arrest wasn't going to stop him any more than any of the others had. Two other detectives were in the room when he did it, and Kellerman would go on for the rest of the season protecting them and himself from the ensuing investigation and charges based on his shooting of a suspect already in custody. 

Reed Diamond played Kellerman and I was fascinated watching his character walk a razor's edge that year, as he lied and blocked the investigation in any and every way he could, earning him the enmity of John Seda's Det. Falsone and Mahoney's wildly murderous and vengeful sister, whose response included open gunfire in the squad room. In the end, Kellerman was given the choice of going to trial, taking the other two detective into court with him, or turning in his badge. He tabled his badge and asked one of the detectives he'd been protecting, Meldrick, to leave his gun and leave the room for a moment. Meldrick refused.

Diamond was back for two episodes in Season Seven as "Kellerman, P.I." and his character was instrumental in getting a rich young suspect off for murder and railroading her boyfriend into getting convicted for murder. Facing life in prison, the 15-year boy killed himself, and Kellerman was able to piece together a crucial portion of the case to discover how she was able to get him to cooperate with her for so long, right up to the moment she testified against him in court. 

In these two episodes, the lingering resentment and loathing the Homicide squad has for Kellerman is palpable and his interactions with various members of the cast are electric, especially a moment in the police parking garage with Melcrick where the two exchange a few pleasantries and then Kellerman, who is on the wrong side of the case the department is investigating, thanks Meldrick for not giving him his gun that day.

Reed Diamond is one of my favorite actors based on his performances in these two episodes and throughout Season Six. I was absolutely livid when my family recorded over my tape of these two eps. back in the day. The embarrassment of that meltdown has kept me from revisiting these two episodes, despite my owning the set for a few years now. I just kept it on a shelf out of the way. I put the disc in today for no particular reason except that I knew they were excellent episodes, and what do you know? It turns out to have been a Christmas story, with the two young folks' murder of their newborn serving as a twisted sort of Holiday metaphor. 

A couple of days ago, I put in the film THE ORANGES with Hugh Laurie and Leighton Meester because I'd just revisited THE INTERVENTION and had forgotten Alia Shawkat (Maybe from Arrested Development) was in THE ORANGES as well. That turned out to be a stealth Christmas (and Thanksgiving) movie as well, with a particularly amusing and satisfying scene involving lawn ornaments. 

Weird how those both sort of snuck up on me. Prior to watching these, I did, with full knowledge and aforethought, revisit the Rankin-Bass production of L. Frank Baum's "LIFE AND ADVENTURES OF SANTA CLAUS," one of my favorite Holiday specials. I put in the HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET disc thinking it would sort of cleanse the pallet afterwards, and smiled to find all of the Christmas decorations, Menorah displays, and holiday music everywhere throughout part two. 

In any case, Reed Diamond's performance did not disappoint, despite how I'd built up these episodes in my memory. Kellerman is more even-handed here than I'd remembered, which makes his being on the wrong side more interesting. I continued to follow Diamond into JOURNEYMAN, where again, he played a conflicted police detective whose motives you had reason to mistrust. He played a dicey security chief in Joss Whedon's DOLLHOUSE. I've heard that he was on Marvel's AGENTS OF SHIELD, but have yet to check those out. Someday I'll watch him performance as a missing kid in the AFTERSCHOOL SPECIAL based on Betsy Byars's SUMMER OF THE SWANS. I've been avoiding that one since they removed the crucial element of the missing kid being mentally impaired. For the completeness's sake, I should finally view that.

In the meantime, I am glad to have finally gotten "Kellerman: P.I." re-watched, especially since it means that, strangely, I'm inadvertently enjoying an even larger amount of holiday fare than I'd intended. It's kind of a really, really minor Christmas miracle... :-)

Edited by Brian Hague on 24 December 2018 at 10:59am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 January 2019 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 21 post reply

TWILIGHT ZONE ó dipping in at random on a marathon on SyFy.

Sad to say, these episodes creak more with every passing year. Even in the half hour format the slender plots are padded. Especially in the ones written by Serling, where characters tend to speak in paragraphs. LONG paragraphs.   So many of the stories would have been better served at fifteen minutes or less.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 January 2019 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

I received recently the whole series collection of
Columbo, one of my most dear TV shows series from my
youth.
I started to watch them and enjoying it so much for 2
reasons:
1 - It seems that the French TV channels were always
re-running the same episodes and I am discovering a
lot of them that I have never seen. Pure joy !
2 - Even if the French dubbing of the series was of
extreme good quality, I can appreciate even more some
subtleties in its original version.

I am already into season 4. And I made my son a fan !

Update: I finished up to season 06 and first episode
of season 07. I start to see episodes I am more
familiar with, but still having a lot of fun with the
show.

Also, there were some talk to do something with Mark
Ruffalo as Columbo... Anybody has updated info?

Edited by Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle on 13 January 2019 at 8:39pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 January 2019 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

THE BUREAU season 2.

Hands down one of the best things on TV right now. Genuine thrills and realistic action. Addictive viewing. 

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 January 2019 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Watching Dark Shadows for the very first time and it's blowing my mind, it's completely bonkers. I've been vaguely aware of the show's existence for a very long time from mentions in books and magazines, but I never had the opportunity to watch it until recently. Now I find I am having to avoid spoilers for a TV show that is over fifty years old!

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 January 2019 at 9:11pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

A return to WAREHOUSE 13. Still the best of old time Marvel!

<< Prev Page of 119 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version