Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 251 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 March 2014 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I just finished a marathon set of viewing of the complete BREAKING BAD (yeah, I'm behind the times, wanna make something out of it?). One of the best tv shows I've ever seen.

The opposite of the poorly planned "yeah, we have a plan" shows like LOST. This was so well developed and planned - just the foresight on how they flipped around in time requires some great planning.

On that note, I may have to adjust my retirement plan from cooking meth in a RV (down by the river), to something less .... destructive.
Back to Top profile | search

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 26 March 2014 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I watched a few edited episodes of Caron's TONIGHT SHOW, aired on TCM.  It's easy to see why Carson's reputation is so legendary.  I have only vague memories of seeing him while he was still on the air; I was in my mid-teens when he ended his run on THE TONIGHT SHOW and really made no effort to watch him before then. 

I really don't like talk shows; I never watch more than a few minutes of any of them.  Carson had a genial, breezy charm that leaves all the current guys in the dust.  The two interviews I watched were Carol Burnett and Lucille Ball.  Carol is always a fun interviewee, but Lucy in her later years tended to be churlish or haughty.  Carson really brought out the best in her.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 26 March 2014 at 11:44pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Thom Price wrote:
Episode one of FROM DUSK TILL DAWN: THE SERIES....The first episode is just a re-tread of the first part of the film, but I kinda liked it.  Or at least I didn't dislike it.  I'll watch the next few.

Ditto.  I've got a love/hate relationship with the movie.  Hate the first part of the movie, love the madcap supernatural feeling of the second half.  That said, I liked the first episode of the series if only for the fact that they made it oddly supernatural right from the jump.  I suspect that's because it's where the series has to go, so they need to seed it all at the very beginning.  Don Johnson also surprised me.  I had to look twice to confirm it was him, but when I did I was actually surprised.  He was good!  I'd watch that Don Johnson over the one I've seen for the last 30 years!  Haven't seen the episodes that have aired since, but they're sitting on my DVR for when I can marathon through several at a time.  I'll make my final judgement then.

Jack Michaels
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2014 at 3:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Breaking Bad was made up on the fly. Jessie was supposed to die in the first season, they had no idea why Walt wanted the guns n the season five premiere. It's just not a show which is juggling a bunch of a bunch of unanswered questions. It set a direction early on and always moved in that direction. 

I think the only TV producer who has ever maintained he had the whole thing planned was J. Michael Straczynski on Babylon 5, which was filled with so many back-door plans to cover the unexpected exits of key characters that it comes across as made up on the fly as everything else. 

Roy Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2014 at 4:35am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

@Jack:

I knew about Jessie, but not the guns, interesting.

I guess the main plan was protagonist --> antagonist.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 March 2014 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The VEEP DVD set arrived yesterday, so I popped in the first disk to check it played properly, and ended up watching the whole season again, even tho I'd just finished watching it the night before.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2014 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Damn. Sounds like the ultimate endorsement to me! I'll have to take a peek
at VEEP on HBO Go this weekend.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 27 March 2014 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Be forewarned, Vinny! VEEP is yet another sitcom about people you probably wouldn't want to know in real life!

William Griffin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2014 at 11:20am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Been watching some old Louis Theroux documentaries, both his more serious work and his looks at oddball personalities.  I've got a lot of time for Louis and his Columbo-style interviewing technique, and it's great to revisit some classics as the new batch of docs air.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2014 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB:
The VEEP DVD set arrived yesterday, so I popped in the first disk to check it played properly, and ended up watching the whole season again, even tho I'd just finished watching it the night before.

"My name is John..and I'm a VEEPaholic."

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2014 at 9:50am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

An Idiot Abroad on Netflix.

Love it! It's Amazing Race, Bizarre Foods, and UK Office rolled up in one.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 30 March 2014 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

WAREHOUSE 13

Very late to the party, I'm watching the first season on DVD. Not sure why I skipped this one, originally. Three episodes in, and enjoying myself enough to continue -- tho the Canadian accents that occasionally slip thru are a bit disconcerting!

<< Prev Page of 251 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version