Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 116 Next >>
Topic: What disc did you have in last and... (TV Edition) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Now sampling the first season of HAP & LEONARD (Sundance TV) via Netflix.

I enjoy reading the novels by Joe R. Lansdale on which the series is based. The only book in the H&L series that I haven't read is "Savage Season" which happens to be the one that was adapted for the first season of the TV show.

I like the casting so far, and of course I am savoring the opportunity to watch Christina Hendricks onscreen :-)  Hopefully this first season will end well and make me want to check out the next one.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 March 2018 at 4:10pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Starting back at the beginning of CALL THE MIDWIFE.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 March 2018 at 4:12am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Hope you enjoy it James, had a blast with the first two seasons and I'm currently a couple of episodes into the third season.

I think the show captures the Southern Gothic mixed with levity feel of Lansdale's books.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 March 2018 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
Starting back at the beginning of CALL THE MIDWIFE.

Whilst I don't think it lends itself to binge-watching, I came late to this and did catch up. 

It all feels so credible and authentic. Very well made.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2018 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Been watching The Waltons of all things. It actually holds up pretty well but I never realized how formulaic the show was with its guest of the week format. 

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2018 at 1:10pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Right now I am cherry-picking some of my favorite episodes of GOOD EATS with host Alton Brown, which ran for 14 seasons.

The show is still very enjoyable, and if I ever found the time to really learn how to cook I would certainly use it as a reference for both techniques and recipes.

Brown is supposedly going to bring the show back sometime in 2018 with most of the returning cast and crew, but I have not heard of the target date yet. 

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 April 2018 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

GOOD EATS is one of my favorite cooking shows, ever. My youngest and I like watching CUTTHROAT KITCHEN together. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

My family and I have lately been getting a big kick out of MY CAT FROM HELL [2011-present] on Animal Planet.  Very informative, but hysterical, too!

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 5:35pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

First season of SOAP.

My wife has never seen it. She is enjoying it.   
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2018 at 9:04pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Revisiting CALIFORNICATION. I believe that David Duchovny's Hank Moody shares with Michael J. Fox's Mike Flaherty and no one else the impressive distinction of having onscreen romances with both Paula Marshall and Carla Gugino. (At different times, of course.) 

Season Two plays around a lot with Gatsby references as obsessed, doomed man-children Hank and music producer Lou Ashsby (played by Keith Callum) hit on one another's Daisy's, played by the eerily similar Natasha McElhone and Madchen Amick. Nicely conceived and beautifully executed as the two women never meet and pass each other only once on a staircase in the season finale...

Onto Season Three with the maddeningly lovely Embeth Davidtz...

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 10:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Okay, I'd kind of forgotten how blithe and inconsequential much of Season Three was. For the first half of the season, Hank is glib and very little else. His daughter's become a surly, petulant hellchild overnight, as kids do, and that's providing some grist for the mill at least. Meanwhile, there is a LOT of fast-forwarding through the scenes with Runkle and Marcie. Their storyline is nothing but yuck this year. Hopefully, things will improve now that Natasha McElhone has returned as a regular character... 

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

SOAP holds up very well. Hard to believe it was so scandalous in its day.

I'd love to the the unaired pilot, glimpses of which appeared in the ads for the first season.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 08 April 2018 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

WESTWORLD (S1E1)

Wondered if time might have healed some wounds. Nope.

Still makes no sense that the robots would be acting out such elaborate backstories when there are no humans to see them.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2018 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Iíve recently watched the whole of the first season of WESTWORLD.
That particular point is addressed and is VERY relevant to the whole story.
Plot wise, I thought it was very good.
I am again insensed at the level of nudity in TV shows. Just once, Iíd like to see a mature plot driven TV show that doesnít go for full frontal nudity practically every episode.

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 8:22pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

Just caught "Journey To Babel" from the second season of STAR TREK: TOS.

It was certainly enjoyable to watch, as I had never seen the episode all the way through before and really liked the banter between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy.

Looks like I need to search for some other episodes from season 2 that I might have missed :-) 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 April 2018 at 9:02pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

I caught a back-to-back broadcast recently of The Ultimate Computer and Bread and Circuses.

The Ultimate Computer is really very good through and through, and better than I remembered. In my recollected impression, I had something of a beef with Daystrom's compulsions but, on this viewing at least, it all added up. Good stuff.

Bread and Circuses is harder to swallow, but I still quite enjoyed the episode. Season 2 leant a bit too heavily on those planets that conveniently allowed them to use the period sets and costumes on hand, but there's enough quality in the Kirk, Spock, McCoy triumverate to win through (just).

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2018 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 17 post reply

Bouncing and bobbling about at random through the seasons of WKRP IN CINCINATTI, buffeted to and fro by the comforting and compelling presence of Loni Anderson's exquisitely crafted Jennifer Marlowe. There is a well-imagined, well-structured television presence if ever there was one. A wonder to behold. 

Of course, it helps that pretty much everyone else onscreen is perfect as well. It's amazing how nicely she holds up. The show, I mean. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 May 2018 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

Not a binge-watch, but about to start CSI: NEW YORK.

I wasn't interested in this at the time because New York had featured in so many TV shows. Plus, I was probably afflicted with "CSI fever" after years of CSI and CSI: MIAMI.

I feel ready now, though.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 10 May 2018 at 7:02pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT (Season 1) 2003

Fifteen years? Really??

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 20 post reply

I'm getting ready for another run through myself.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2018 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash [1978]

Still the greatest Beatles parody ever made, bar none.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 May 2018 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

JETSTREAM (2008)

Canadian documentary about the training of fighter pilots. Eight episodes to go. 

Andrew Saxon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 23 post reply

After watching the Stargate movie I decided to watch the pilot episode of the TV spin-off, Stargate SG-1. Well, one episode lead to another and now I'm up to season 5 and still going strong. I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed this series the first time round and it's been nice revisiting with old friends Col. Jack O'Neill, Samantha Carter, Teal'c and Daniel Jackson - my other 'Fantastic Four'. Despite the fact the first season is almost twenty years old (where did that go?!?), Stargate SG-1 holds up remarkably well, and I find that in my head I'm viewing it as a 'current' series.

Admittedly, the first few episodes of season 1 are a little wobbly, but when things click they really click. I'm still impressed by the range of stories they were able to tell on the show - everything from extremely Star Trek TOS style tales set on alien worlds to political intrigue back on Earth, and even some humorous episodes that are genuinely funny without destroying the series' integrity. Speaking of Star Trek, there is something of the spirit of the original series about Stargate SG-1 that I found lacking in the official Trek sequels and prequels (maybe it's because, like TOS, Stargate SG-1 has people going to other planets and having proper adventures rather than smug types breaking off from their opera recitals to tell the universe at large how wonderful they are). In a way, for me, Stargate SG-1 feels like a truer heir to real Star Trek than TNG, DS9 and the rest ever did.

Maybe I'll wind up taking another look at the spin-offs - Stargate Atlantis and Stargate: Universe - though, at the time, I found them rather weak by comparison to SG-1. We'll see.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Andrew, your's is the first review in twenty years that actually might result in my giving the Stargate franchise another go. I found the original film's storytelling flaws extremely off-putting and the one or two episodes of the show that I've seen in the interim did not light a fire to see others. I used to work with a gentleman who was a massive SG-1 fan back when it was being aired, and while his enthusiasm was infectious, I never caught the bug myself. 

And I have to say, your take on the Trek spin-offs hits dead-on. "There used to be an Earthman named Shakespeare, and what he might have said with irony, I say with conviction, 'Oh, what a piece of work is man!'" Oh, sit down, fer cryin' out loud... Show. Don't tell. Show.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 23 May 2018 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 25 post reply

On Howard Mackie's recommendation I picked up the first season of PEAKY BLINDERS. Haven't started watching yet, but am intrigued, since it is set in Birmingham, very close to my Old Home Town.

<< Prev Page of 116 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version