Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Got it right the first time (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 1  

I bought the latest issue of X-Men Forever yesterday, and the cover (and story) featured Nightcrawler, in yet another new costume variation.  While it wasn't terrible, and it kept the basic color scheme of the traditional Nightcrawler costume, it just didn't look right.

And for that matter, I don't think any costume apart from Nightcrawler's original has looked "right" to me.  While the other New X-Men never got costumes that were a huge improvement over the originals, new outfits for Storm, Colossus, Wolverine, Banshee (or any of the original X-Men, for that matter) never seemed as "sacrilegious" as changing Nightcrawler's costume.  Even Alan Davis wasn't able to give him a new costume that seemed "right."

I had no problems with Spider-Man's black costume, and I even adjusted to that variation that his clone wore in the mid-1990s...but there's only one look for Nightcrawler.

Who else goes on your list of characters whose "only" look was already in place in their very first appearance/costume? 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 2:04pm | IP Logged | 2  

I agree Nightcrawler's costume is a classic that doesn't need changing. I'd say Rogue's original was perfect too, but I love the new one with the scarf and little skirt.
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 3  

My main problem with Nightcrawler's look is how much they've 'prettied him up' since he first appeared in GS X-Men #1.  When he first showed up, he was much more demonic in appearance until they make him into the 'Fuzzy Elf' that we see now.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Huber
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 4:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

I have to toss Thor into this list. I have never seen the need to "improve" on his outfit.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 5  

Something definitely got lost along the way -

Martin Redmond
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 6:38pm | IP Logged | 6  

Excuse-me, Robert, but what book are the first 2 pics from? You can't just post that without reference. >:0

I bought the latest issue of X-Men Forever yesterday, and the cover (and story) featured Nightcrawler, in yet another new costume variation.  While it wasn't terrible, and it kept the basic color scheme of the traditional Nightcrawler costume, it just didn't look right.

The gloves and boots in his XMF costume being white without the red stripe providing a transition from black to white is jarring. Your attention is kinda divided looking at him.  I think it's a bad design.

Edited by Martin Redmond on 28 January 2010 at 6:41pm

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 7  

This thread has a better look at the pictures Martin -

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26578 &TPN=1

Edited by Robert Bradley on 29 January 2010 at 8:22pm

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 8  

What the heck happened to the Beast's face in that Second Genesis picture????

It's pretty rare that I like a "new and improved" costume design. The god awful fashion disasters that the X-Men have been put in for the last couple of decades leave me shaking my head. I guess we have JB to blame for this because he changed Wolverine's costume. ( I kid!!!!) 

Speaking of JB's Wolverine costume, one thing I liked about it was it fit in with Dave's designs for the New members and the design of  the old members "graduation" costumes. There are certain design elements that just say "X-Man" to me.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 9:31pm | IP Logged | 9  

I liked Thor's armor costume with the beard as a change. Seemed more
"norse thunder god" to me. I know if I was fighting fire and ice giants i
would want some armor.

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2010 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 10  

For me the definitive Kurt Wagner is always the Dave Cockrum version.  There is a joy and a sadness conveyed that defined the character.  The only other one even close is the Byrne/Austin version, which was darn close in every aspect.

After Paul Smith and JRJr. had their way with Kurt, he became a different character.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2010 at 1:28am | IP Logged | 11  

Mike - I think there have been several which have been been improvements.  The most obvious one being Wally Wood's Daredevil redesign.

I think Dave Cockrum's Ms. Marvel was a good one in that it made her much more unique.

Ditko's Iron Man is probably still the definitive version.  Captain Mar-Vell's change from green & white to red & black/blue was a good one.

But I think these are the exception to the rule.   Most times the new costumes don't stick.

Francesco Vanagolli
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2010 at 1:55am | IP Logged | 12  

Nightcrawler and Colossus. The classic Cockrum touch!

Thor.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version