Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 74
Topic: What’s the last movie you saw in a theater? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 01 November 2018 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

We also caught BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY last week while in London. A review
headline I saw before the viewing stated a lot of spirit, but not enough soul.
After viewing, I see exactly what they were saying, and it isn't necessarily a
negative thing. I did enjoy it (and am admittedly a huge music fan, as well as a
fan of Queen), and would recommend it. I agree with Bill's comments
above...also, excellent casting.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ronald Joseph
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 November 2018 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

A STAR IS BORN.

I went with my wife and fought back tears several times during the movie. Loved their take on it and the performances were stellar. I was given the added joy a whole mess of new music to listen to - over and over and over. Highly recommended.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 12:48am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm just going to mention it here NOW before it may make it to the Oscars.  A friend of mine has an entry in the doc category for BATHTUBS OVER BROADWAY.  It's a great doc.  Here's an old interview with the main protagonist serving as the genesis of the project: Link
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 November 2018 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I'll be seeing BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY on Saturday.  Despite the lukewarm reviews, I'm really looking forward to seeing it.  The few people I know who have seen it really enjoyed it quite a bit.  And they pretty much echoed what Bob said above.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

THE GRINCH, two nights ago. Press screening.

Martinho Correia
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2018 at 9:48pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY. Laughs, chills and tears -  a thoroughly entertaining movie! 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 November 2018 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

OVERLORD

I give it about a 6. Predictable jump scares and tropes on the horror side. Not quite accurate an the war side. Not particularly inspiring writing.
Some pretty cool effects. Fine group of young actors we're sure to see more from.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 11 November 2018 at 2:44am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY.  Throughly entertaining.  Not quite sure why it's getting bad press.  Could have something to do with preconceptions based on a troubled production, but none of that is evident on screen.  Strong performances all around coupled with a compelling story set this apart from a run-of-the-mill biopic.  Recommended.  

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 November 2018 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY.  Loved it and I have never been a Queen fan.  Thankfully, it's become review proof and is doing rather well.  

Jozef Brandt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 1:53am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Saw Orson Welles last film The Other Side of the Wind.  Wanted to catch it on the big screen instead of just Netflix at home.  It was quite impressive in 35mm. Documentaries on Netflix were a nice companion.  (I also recommend the book by Josh Karp about the Making of). 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 5:07am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY. Loved  it. And speaking of critics, one of my favorite bits in the whole movie involves thumbing their nose at critics. I don't want to say more than and spoil the scene but it made me laugh out loud.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 November 2018 at 3:26pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I made a pilgrimage to the theatre to see THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND and thought it would have played better as part of a hybrid documentary, like IT'S ALL TRUE, as a opposed to a completed feature.

If this represents the best and most complete collection of say, John Huston's scenes, then it's pretty obvious Welles didn't have a commercially releasable product to show investors. Huston is the ostensible main character, but is barely in the first third of the movie. Maybe Welles himself could have patched it with stand-ins, voice-over, and genius, but I think his one-man-band approach to shooting and editing, which served him well in the Sixties on movies like THE TRIAL, CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT, and F FOR FAKE, let him down here. 

In the past he was able to edit together film shot years apart, and sometimes by other directors for unrelated projects, and make it look like the participants were in the same room, but it doesn't fly here. Possibly the color cinematography is less forgiving? 

The actor with the most lines is inexplicably Peter Bogdanovich, playing an obvious (and biting) parody of himself without a trace of awareness or even professional craft. He truly grew as a performer by the time he appeared on THE SOPRANOS. 

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 November 2018 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Bohemian Rhapsody. I enjoyed it enough, despite the liberties it takes with the chronology and with condensing disparate events into convenient "it all happened in a single fateful day". As a big, big, BIG Queen fan these things are kind of seared into my mind, so they did jar. However, your average viewer is unlikely to know or care.

Rami Malek's Freddie is never as witty and funny as the real thing, but the film works in key areas -- it captures the energy and excitement of their live performances, particularly with its incredibly faithful recreation of their historic Live Aid set (right down to those paper Pepsi cups on the old joanna) and it stirs the emotions. I was literally wiping tears from my cheeks as the lights came on in the theatre.

Gwilym Lee was uncanny as Brian May. Looked and sounded just like him... to the point that it seemed it really was him at times.

Bonus points for the costumes and haircuts. There were very impressive little touches, like the little highlight in Brian's hair in the mid-eighties and John Deacon's triangular explosion of hair during that period (curiously, they didn't capture Roger's hair so accurately).

Edited by Peter Martin on 17 November 2018 at 1:15pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 74
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version